Airport Pickup

We're looking at a cruise for Jan. 5-9 of 2009, and just trying to plan it all as soon as possible. The cheapest flights (by a long shot) seem to go in/out of FLL, not MIA. We were planning on just paying the $30-50 extra for Royal Caribbean to pick us up and drop us off, though, so it's no big deal.

But, I did have a question for people that have used this service before: how reliable are they on getting you there on time? The main thing I'm concerned about is coming back. They say the drop-off time for FLL is noon - that means we should be arriving at the airport by noon, right?

Leaving on Friday directly after the cruise has a HUGE cost savings for us over leaving on Saturday, so we'd prefer to do that. However, I want to make sure that RCI won't be late dropping us off and cause us to miss our flight. The flights we were looking at leave at 4:00-4:30, which would be plenty more than enough if we arrive there at noon, but not if they are frequently late.

So.....how reliable are they? Thanks a ton!

With a 4:00pm flight you should be safe. Remember by that time the ship is probably almost sailing with the next set of passengers.

Of course you can always encounter delays due to weather, technical problems etc. but you can´t plan for each and any circumstances and a 4:00pm flight is certainly playing it safe. My guess is you will encounter more spare time on the airport you might want to.;)

I never had a problem with ships transfers, always been reliable, but again you never know when something goes wrong and same could happen with private transfers as well.

With a 4:00pm flight you should be safe. Remember by that time the ship is probably almost sailing with the next set of passengers.

Of course you can always encounter delays due to weather, technical problems etc. but you can´t plan for each and any circumstances and a 4:00pm flight is certainly playing it safe. My guess is you will encounter more spare time on the airport you might want to.;)

I never had a problem with ships transfers, always been reliable, but again you never know when something goes wrong and same could happen with private transfers as well.

It's sad, but I actually kind of like spending some free time at airports, if I'm in the right mood. :) Of course, there's certainly such a thing as too much, but I like the "unique" atmosphere of it all. I don't know - it's really weird. :p Sometimes I'll book flights with slightly longer layovers, so that I'm not as worried about running across the airport, and also so I can spend a little more time eating, looking at stuff, etc.

Thanks for the confidence booster - I think we'll go ahead and plan on using that flight. I've never had a problem with missing flights before, though - what the usual protocol for that? Do the airlines compromise about it - or do you lose all of it and have to pay the entirety of a new flight? (I'm mostly curious, and slightly paranoid).

If you have a laptop ... FLL has free wireless internet. :)

Ah man, that's not good. This whole time I've been saying "I can survive a week without the internet - besides, no where will have it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and it's just not worth it." Now I'm tempted.

My wife's gonna kill me. :)

Archived