1st time crusier- Glory 1-15-05

nectrc

My guy and i are doing the western carribean cruise. I am soo excited!! It is not until jan 05. Since it is our first time i would appreciate any kind of advise. I am new to the message boards and i stupidly put this in the photo gallery!!:( so i hope i get it in the correct forum this time!! Does anybody know of anything good to do in Progresso? i have not heard too many good things. A stupid question, what is a tendor? Is it cheaper to reserve excursions online or wait to do it on the ship?

Hi, I'm doing an eastern cruise on the Glory in November, but I've been on two western cruises with Carnival and had a great time on both! Unfortunately neither of my western cruises docked in Progresso, but if you look under the Ports of Call Progresso board, I'm sure you get lots of great suggestions of things to do.

Typically you can find better deals money wise by booking your own excursion rather than going through the cruise line, however their are some risks associated with it. An example would be if your excursion gets delayed and you are late for ship departure. If you are booked through Carnival they will wait, if you aren't than their is a chance you could possibly miss the ship. As long as there is enough buffer time between the end of your excursion and the ship departure, than I would book my own, but that's just me.

A tender is a boat that ferries passengers from the ship to shore. Sometimes the ship can't dock at the port (depth of water, etc) and they use tenders to get the passengers to the shore.

Hope this helps! And have a great time!

-Pam

We'll be in Progresso in Feb. on the Elation and plan to see Chichen Itza. We went to Tulum earlier this year while in Cozumel on the Conquest and it was great. We're really looking forward to this stop.

Kevin

Carnival Conquest 2/29/2004

Carnival Elation 2/27/2005

Nectrc,

Things to remember: food is onboard 24/7 (or so it seems). Walk it off! Take a small coin pouch with wristband for your sign & sail card (size of a credit card) and room key. It's great for going out of the cabin for short trips to the various parts of the ship as well as out in the ports if you are only out for a short time. One thing most people don't put on these message boards, and some might not experience what I do. Sealegs. I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and last year when we took a week cruise I had a swaying feeling for several days after getting off the ship. This year we did a 3 night/4 day cruise to Nowhere (originally to stop in Nassau). I am still feeling some swaying motion and tomorrow will be a week since we left the ship. I might have jetlag as well, we flew home on Friday. Bring less clothes and more money. I've heard this zillions of times on these message boards, and it's accurate. Check to see if your ship has hair dryers. Ours didn't. And don't forget the sunscreen. Sunburn comes on faster on the ocean closer to the equator. And last of all enjoy yourself.

-Joanne

Archived