NCL Pearl is Perfect...!!!

FundyGirl

Cagneys $20

Teppenyaki $20

Lotus Garden $10

Mambos Free

La Cucina Free

Not sure about Le Bistro...did not eat there this time.

The Blue Lagoon is actually much nice than on the Dawn.

Thanks for the info! The Pearl really is a cool ship, isn't she!

We just got off the Pearl--Yes, a beautifu ship (although I missed the 5 story atruims that were on Royal Carribean ships).

We loved the ports of call, but will not travel on NCL again!! Unless you want to pay for your meals, the food is not good!! Believe me, we are not gourmet eaters & do not need the best of food, we do not spend a lot of money when we eat out. We have always had lobster for one of our meals, there was NO lobster in this 9 night cruise. We have teenagers & they would look at the menu in the Main dining room & there would be NOTHING on it that was appealing!

I was thankful our cruise was not longer because the food in the Garden Buffet did not change much (the hard ice cream was good, but the desserts were just OK--looked better than they tasted!)

I may be old fashioned, but I still contend that you get better service when you tip at the end of the week! There is NO incentive for them to go the extra mile.

We had 2 animals made our of towels during the whole 9 night cruise. Last year (on Royal Carribean)--we would have 2 - 4 animals in one night. They would find one of the kids hats to use or my sunglasses! YES, they worked hard so that they would get a good tip!

I did notice that there was a LONG line at the Purser's desk on Saturday--the couple of people that I talked to were disappointed--so was I.

oops, forgot to mention that there was a fist-fight on the ship--YES, a fight between adults. WHY? Because they were waiting in line at 5:45 AM (does this free-style cruising sound like fun to you??) to make a reservation at a restaurant. There were 2 different places to wait in line to make your reservation. Well, the one computer broke down so everyone was instructed to go to the other line. Because the "broken computer line" of people had to go else where, they were now in the back of the line. Thus, a fight broke out!!!!!!!

It was NOT easy to get in to the free restaurants!

I even heard complaints about the pay ones--just very expensive when really, all your food should be included!

If you are in a mini-suite do you need to go through the nonsense of waiting on line at 6am to make dinner reservations or do you get priority reservations as a mini-suite guest?

Also, somebody mentioned that w/the mini suites you get a concierge who makes the reservations for you... Is that correct?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you are in a mini-suite do you need to go through the nonsense of waiting on line at 6am to make dinner reservations or do you get priority reservations as a mini-suite guest?

Also, somebody mentioned that w/the mini suites you get a concierge who makes the reservations for you... Is that correct?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The mini-suites no longer have concierge service, reservations are handled the same as the rest of the cabins. Only full suites have concierge service and priority reservation.

oops, forgot to mention that there was a fist-fight on the ship--YES, a fight between adults. WHY? Because they were waiting in line at 5:45 AM (does this free-style cruising sound like fun to you??) to make a reservation at a restaurant. There were 2 different places to wait in line to make your reservation. Well, the one computer broke down so everyone was instructed to go to the other line. Because the "broken computer line" of people had to go else where, they were now in the back of the line. Thus, a fight broke out!!!!!!!

It was NOT easy to get in to the free restaurants!

I even heard complaints about the pay ones--just very expensive when really, all your food should be included!

Wow! 5:45 AM in line? We were in an inside cabin with no VIP perks and I never went to Indigo prior to about 7:50AM and I was usually either the first or second person in line for reservations. They opened the computer terminal at 8AM and we were able to eat in every restaurant on the ship with reservations. The only night that I didnt get the exact reservation that I wanted was for the Italian (free) restaurant, and they were able to get us a reservation for 30 minutes after my requested time. My DH and I ate in every restaurant on the ship with either a table for two or with friends. (Between 6:30-8PM) So, anyone who was standing in line at 5:45AM was in the wrong line. (I was usually getting coffee around that time in the buffet area and never saw a line there until much later)

I will say that getting up early is not for everyone, but it was no problem for us. The tips we learned on CC were put to good use.

When we were arriving at the free Italian restaurant at 6:30PM, they were also seating a "walk-up" couple with no reservation.

We also made reservations for the first two nights as soon as we embarked on the ship--a tip learned from CC. That was for Cagney's and Le Bistro. We didnt make reservations for the free special restaurants until later in the cruise. We really thought that the specialty restaurants added a lot to our cruise and we thought that they were worth the extra charge. I did have lobster twice in the special restaurants, and I thought that it was a good value compared to what we would pay at home.

There was only one night that I didnt care for anything on the main menu and they were happy to make me a steak with baked potato. Just ask...

Everyone has different experiences or ideas about food, but I feel the need to speak up here. I was never in a line for longer than 10 minutes to make a reservation. Read CC for the tips.

We agree with FundyGirl....We had a wonderful cruise. Even though we gained weight! :)

OK... did anyone else have this experience... when we were on Pearl (mar 30) our first sea day, the pools were fresh water, and VERY warm. Like bathwater warm. Next day in the pool, saltwater and freezing cold. I thought I was losing my mind, thinking maybe I remembered the freshwater wrong??

Just curious.

Anyway, about the food... I'm really surprised at people who have a big issue with the food. ON the whole, I was impressed, of course, I go expecting cruise line food to a degree... like I said in my review, the buffet is not like eating at Grand Luxe Cafe, but I thought it was good, and actually had a number of things that i really enjoyed.

Opinions vary!!

Fundygirl - you mean to tell me there was another New Brunswicker on board and no one told me?? :-D *waves*

We had a great cruise overall too..a couple little glitches here and there and the odd surly waiter, but overall we were very pleased. We didn't have too much trouble getting the dinner reservations we wanted (although a couple of times, we ate later than we would have preferred), and believe me, we were not in line to make our reservations at 5:45am!! Or 8am, for that matter!

I did think that the food in the main dining room was not quite up to par with the food on my cruise last year on RCCL, but the specialty ones were for the most part, quite delish, including the free ones! (we ate at Mambo's twice---that pico de gallo was awesome!)

And maybe it was just us, but we thought Captain Lars was hilarious! We always cracked up at his updates over the loudspeaker.

Fundygirl - you mean to tell me there was another New Brunswicker on board and no one told me?? :-D *waves*

And maybe it was just us, but we thought Captain Lars was hilarious! We always cracked up at his updates over the loudspeaker.

Hi Notagoose!!! Another NBer??? You're kidding me...too bad we didn't hook up! We met folks from ON and NS though.

I have to agree. Captain Lars was a hoot. He cracked us up too! :D

As far as the service, you're right...it was not 100% perfect but overall was fine. We do not cruise to be pampered and treated like royalty. We cruise for the people and the ports of call. Everything else is a bonus and NCL always meets our needs.

Our stateroom was always cleaned within minutes of us leaving, our steward was alway visible and accessible, and we never had problems getting into any of the restaurants. Our longest wait was perhaps 15 minutes for Indigo on "lobster" night. They issued us a pager and we enjoyed a drink just outside the restaurant with new friends.

I believe the cruise experience is 99% attitude. A smile and a thank you go a long way.

OK... did anyone else have this experience... when we were on Pearl (mar 30) our first sea day, the pools were fresh water, and VERY warm. Like bathwater warm. Next day in the pool, saltwater and freezing cold. I thought I was losing my mind, thinking maybe I remembered the freshwater wrong??

Just curious.

The pools were in fact fresh water to start then finished salt water. Not sure why. Doesn't really bother me anyways.

The mini-suites no longer have concierge service, reservations are handled the same as the rest of the cabins. Only full suites have concierge service and priority reservation.

I am going to call NCL; this was misrepresented to me when I booked with them. I am not going to wait on line at 6 am to book a dinner reservation. Takes away from the relaxation of a trip.

I am going to call NCL; this was misrepresented to me when I booked with them. I am not going to wait on line at 6 am to book a dinner reservation. Takes away from the relaxation of a trip.

When did you book that you say this was misrepresented to you? This change has been common knowledge around here since last summer. Besides there is no reason you cannot contact the concierge on your own as long as you tip appropriately.

PE

I'm wondering why the concern about reservations in the 1st place. Unless you want to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, the main dining rooms do not require reservations. That would defeat the whole purpose of Freestyle wouldn't it?

We had access to a concierge, never used him once, and did not have a problem with dining.

I agree about the reservations. I walked up to the reservation line outside of Indigo and La Cucina on several occasions, I was never more than the 3 person in line, and was always helped within minutes. And usually it was anywhere from 8:30 to 10 am I did this. I was often booking for 5 to 18 people without a problem. In fact, 2 of our group had the same idea for pub crawl night and unknowingly booked LARGE groups in Indigo for 6 & 6:30 pm and we were accommodated no problem! On a whim we tried to get into Lotus Garden one night at 7:30 pm and were told they'd have room about 8:30 pm. I think that's reasonable.

Someone else mentioned they was no lobster in the main dining rooms. We ate in Indigo twice when Lobster was on the menu as part of a seafood dish (once during 5-day & once during the 9-day).

We were eligible for concierge service and the ONLY call I made to the concierge line was for VIP Tender tickets only to find out they'd be delivered automatically anyway cause of our Latitudes level. I think this computerized reservation system is hands down better than previous years. We ate in every restaurant except Le Bistro this year and enjoyed every one of them. Lotus Garden is by far my fav (Teppanyaki, Sushi Bar & Asian Fusion). Never tried the Mongolian Hot Pot as the menu didn't appeal, but after seeing someone else having it, I would give it a whirl next time.

Were we really impressed with the stations in the Garden Cafe. This set-up is so much better than the old buffet line-ups. I think the food improves every year on NCL. I really enjoyed the Indian food they had at the buffet and the grill by the pool. The pizza has improved a lot IMO. And we certainly got our fill of caesar salads.

So folks, don't loose any sleep over dinner reservations. It's not worth it! And you're not gonna starve :D

i never had issues with reservations, either. you can make them at all the restaurants, and also call from your cabin. i never got up early to make them. i usually made them the day before. on the last night, we went to cagney's. i "thought" i had made a reservation that morning, but they couldn't find it. it was 745pm and they were still able to seat us. maybe because we were a party of two, but it was never an issue.

This always get's my goat..it's amazing how diff peoples perception is. BUT, if you are waiting till the day 'of' to get reservations that's just foolish. You wouldnt do that at a nice restaurant anywhere and expect 'your' time exactly or even to get IN.

RULE number one: first thing get your butt down and plan where you want to eat on what night. First day-first first first. If you change your mind don't go-call and tell them of course but get IN.

I'm wondering why the concern about reservations in the 1st place. Unless you want to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, the main dining rooms do not require reservations. That would defeat the whole purpose of Freestyle wouldn't it?

We had access to a concierge, never used him once, and did not have a problem with dining.

That's because you are just too damn easy going. :D

PE

Nah, I just don't sweat the small stuff!!! :p ;) :D

That's it! I really think that is the issue behind who is happy with freestyle and who is not. If you are the least bit flexible and reasonable (comparing it to getting into a restaurant at home) you're happy. But, if your idea is that you can walk into any restaurant at whim and be seated - you're disappointed. It's vacation - don't sweat it - you have all the time in the world to do a little planning for freestyle variety.

This always get's my goat..it's amazing how diff peoples perception is. BUT, if you are waiting till the day 'of' to get reservations that's just foolish. You wouldnt do that at a nice restaurant anywhere and expect 'your' time exactly or even to get IN.

RULE number one: first thing get your butt down and plan where you want to eat on what night. First day-first first first. If you change your mind don't go-call and tell them of course but get IN.

I concur. You cannot expect to dine in a good restaurant just as a walk-in. They should allow reservations (perhaps with a deposit) when you first board. To have to try to dine hit-and-miss would be frustrating.

I chose this cruiseline for the ability to dine in alternate restaurants.

I'm sure it will all work out. I just like to have things planned to an extent.

We just got off the Pearl--Yes, a beautifu ship (although I missed the 5 story atruims that were on Royal Carribean ships).

We loved the ports of call, but will not travel on NCL again!! Unless you want to pay for your meals, the food is not good!! Believe me, we are not gourmet eaters & do not need the best of food, we do not spend a lot of money when we eat out. We have always had lobster for one of our meals, there was NO lobster in this 9 night cruise. We have teenagers & they would look at the menu in the Main dining room & there would be NOTHING on it that was appealing!

I was thankful our cruise was not longer because the food in the Garden Buffet did not change much (the hard ice cream was good, but the desserts were just OK--looked better than they tasted!)

I may be old fashioned, but I still contend that you get better service when you tip at the end of the week! There is NO incentive for them to go the extra mile.

We had 2 animals made our of towels during the whole 9 night cruise. Last year (on Royal Carribean)--we would have 2 - 4 animals in one night. They would find one of the kids hats to use or my sunglasses! YES, they worked hard so that they would get a good tip!

I did notice that there was a LONG line at the Purser's desk on Saturday--the couple of people that I talked to were disappointed--so was I.

You aren't gourmet eaters, but you were upset that there was no lobster. Are we the only one that sees the contradiction here?

We agree that tipping should be on an individual basis - better service - you get a tip; lousy service - you don't. However, we wouldn't base that tip on whether or not they rifled through our belongings to find sunglasses to make silly animal towels. We will actually tell our steward not to bother wasting their time playing with our towels.

If something that insignificant can be part of the reason your trip was ruined, you must be very high maintenance.

Archived