Embarkation Time, San Diego???

BluexMoon

I booked Amtrak to get to San Diego. MapQuest says its about 1/3 of a mile. Does anyone know if this is true? My mom is 83 (but pretty spry), but with a suitcase and a carryon, I'm not sure how she'll fare making the walk, plus standing in line to check in. Amtrak arrives at 12:25 PM which should be a decent time to arrive, claim our bags (I reserved business class to get this) and get to the terminal. We have the 10:50AM train to come home.I don't think we'll have a problem with the scheduling. Any one used this mode of transport before?

We have the 10:50AM train to come home.I don't think we'll have a problem with the scheduling. Any one used this mode of transport before?

I've never used AMTRAK to get home...but I'm kind of concerned the 10:50 return might be a early.

Amtrak is 2 blocks away from the pier. They have a ton of peddie cabs (guy/gal on bike cart who will peddle you there) around if your mother can't walk...You could also just take a $3 cab ride (but expect an unhappy cabbie). Your Amtrak return time should be no problem as it is so close to the ship.

Since I'll be doing the packing and have ample "space bags", I should be able to get the luggage fairly compact. For the few hours it will be in the suitcase, it won't make any difference. used them for Alaska this year and managed to get 9 days worth of clothes, jackets into 4 mid sized bags for myself and DH. (Men's stuff is so much bulkier). She would probably get a kick out of the pedal cabs!

Love Solana Beach. Favorite Valentine's getaway destination.

Carnival's site says ship departs at 4PM and my booking site also has 4PM. I don't understand the conflict. Departure time vs. time ship starts to board passengers. I figure that they should start boarding around noon. I'm okay with my arrival time. I just don't want to be on a train loaded with morning commuters. I don't think that getting to the train station should be a problem coming home. I've already documented our travel times on the "Fun Pass" registration.

Archived