Gold Panning Excursion

neecee23

Has anyone gone on one of the gold panning excursions? My son would really like to pan for gold, but I'm wondering if they are similar to what is available at Knott's Berry Farm, just a few gold flecks to put in a jar filled with water. Are there any that offer an authentic experience, and is it worth the price?

Thanks!:)

Has anyone gone on one of the gold panning excursions? My son would really like to pan for gold, but I'm wondering if they are similar to what is available at Knott's Berry Farm, just a few gold flecks to put in a jar filled with water. Are there any that offer an authentic experience, and is it worth the price?

Thanks!:)

My parents just got back and yes they said it was extremely cheesey and the gold they found was so small you need microscope to see it. We wanted to take our son as well, but after this will opt for something else. Buying a cool Gold souviner in a shop might be better. :rolleyes:

My parents just got back and yes they said it was extremely cheesey and the gold they found was so small you need microscope to see it. We wanted to take our son as well, but after this will opt for something else. Buying a cool Gold souviner in a shop might be better. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I kind of figured this was the case.:rolleyes:

How did your parents just get back from an Alaskan cruise where they did a gold panning excursion????

Take your kids to one of these things. If they haven't done it before they will get a hoot out of it. While most of the gold is small the tour guides usually have a nugget or two to show what they look like.

If your going on a land tour that includes Fairbanks try the trip out to Gold Dredge #8.

How did your parents just get back from an Alaskan cruise where they did a gold panning excursion????

Take your kids to one of these things. If they haven't done it before they will get a hoot out of it. While most of the gold is small the tour guides usually have a nugget or two to show what they look like.

If your going on a land tour that includes Fairbanks try the trip out to Gold Dredge #8.

I woke up late today and wasnt thinking 100%, we JUST looked at the photos this weekend from their trip last fall.....so it was still very fresh in my mind. So no, they didnt just get back. :rolleyes: ANYWAY,

depending on the AGE of your son?? He might like one that is not a ship's excursion, the "real deal" might be fun. Just remember if you are panning in a river, the water is very very cold. I have read reviews saying some people's hand go numb they are so cold.

Yes, the water can be cold. But after your hands go numb it's a moot point.

If your on an independent land tour with a rental car you should check out Crow Creek Mine by Girdwood.

Hey, bearbait.....this place kind of looks interesting. We are renting an RV for our post cruise and heading from Anchorage to Homer for hopefully my bear viewing trip. Sounds like that might be a good stop off. Do you know if they give you any pointers and how far off the "beaten path" they are? Thanks.

It's not far off of the beaten path. They get quite a few tourist in motorhomes every day. When we were living in Anchorage I used to take the kids down there 6 or 7 times during the summer. They do have a place right when you enter that rents you the pans and shovels and they give an impromtu lesson on panning. It's a really neat place to visit.

http://www.crowcreekgoldmine.com/

http://www.akmining.com/mine/crow.htm

http://www.akmining.com/mine/recsites.htm

Archived