Amalfi Coast/Pompeii Question on timing

I have discovered that both the ship's tour and the private tours mention going to the Amalfi coast drive first with its few stops and then ending up in Pompeii.

I am curious as to why it would not be the reverse? This way you are not walking through Pompeii at the heat of the day. Anybody know?

thanks for the info

I don't know for sure, but it may factor in traffic on the narrow roads along the coast. We were there off-season when it wasn't too bad, but it was easy to see that those roads could become very jammed with lots of tour buses.

We also did Pompeii first thing.... then to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ending in Sorrento.

We too were there at the very very end of season..... no traffic, no crowds, no lines..... nice weather. But this was one tour (Pompeii) that even though we went in the morning - - and the end of November - - we were sweating a bit. Yeah....it was sunny and warm ! But not unbearably so.

I can't even imagine this area filled with huge tour buses and crowds of people.....don't imagine it would have the same "feel". Our driver explained that sometimes the roads are completely stopped for hours :eek: because of traffic. Yikes....that would make me want to take a cruiseline tour just to be sure the ship would wait for me !!!!!

Perhaps they say to go to coast area and then Pompeii as this would mean going to the furthest point first and working your way back towards the ship (assuming it is docked in Naples). WE ALWAYS DO THIS WHEN WE RENT A CAR AND GO IT ON OUR OWN..... makes sense to be closer as it gets later in the event of a delay.

Archived