Resort course or snorkel lessons at ....

CruisinCandy

We will be stopping at Roatan for the first time on our next cruise. I've read about the incredible reef diving and snorkeling there. However, the last time my wife and I snorkeled (Antigua) she really struggled with it. She has offered up the idea of a what I call a scuba "resort course" or I think its call "introduction to scuba" now. I don't have a problem with the idea. Here's my questions. If we take this resort course in Roatan, do you spend more time just figuring out how to scuba and not enjoying the reefs, fish, environment, etc??

If we skip the resort course, I would at least get my wife snorkel lessons. As a little background we did do Snuba 15 years ago and enjoyed it. Thanks all.

Andy

If we take this resort course in Roatan, do you spend more time just figuring out how to scuba and not enjoying the reefs, fish, environment, etc??

If we skip the resort course, I would at least get my wife snorkel lessons. As a little background we did do Snuba 15 years ago and enjoyed it. Thanks all.

Andy

After reading your post and then giving it considerable thought let me make two recommendations to you.

First, forget the intro to SCUBA unless BOTH of you have a desire to become certified and to more diving on subsequent trips. The Intro To SCUBA is a brief dive in safe and shallow water after a brief overview of some SCUBA fundamentals. It's a good idea for those that have half way made up heir minds that they want to dive but aren't sure. If your beloved had trouble snorkeling I can't help but believe that an intro to SCUBA excursion would be less than a pinnacle experience for her. Why take that risk when time is precious on a cruise?

Second, get your own basic snorkeling equipment which incidentally can be used later if you do decide to become certified divers. I would buy a good, well fitting mask for each of you as well as one of the "dry" snorkels apiece as well. I would also buy a set of fins for each of you that are comfortable and fit well. I would spend the time necessary at home in a pool getting used to your new equipment before leaving on your cruise.

This is the what we did when we started snorkeling. We bought our own gear which we used on three cruises. We decided to go on and become certified divers about five years ago and have never regretted it for a moment. We still use our original masks and snorkels.

There usually is a concern about the cost of purchasing mask/snorkel/fins for each of you not to mention the inconvenience of hauling the gear with you. Our first year snorkeling we used the equipment provided by the excursion operator. There was a world of difference when we switched to our own basic gear. Our own gear fit better, was more comfortable and our enjoyment was greatly increased. For us these benefits far outweighed the cost of gear ownership. Our initial set of gear cost us about $110 apiece. Mine cost $40 more than this because I got diopter corrective lenses for my mask. We bought middle of the road (price wise) equipment. There were lots of fins and masks that cost considerably more than I spent just as there were several that would have cost considerably less.

I am not affiliated with the dive industry nor a dive shop in any way. If you would like specific equipment recommendations send me an email. Just like here I am pilot70d on Yahoo.

Hope this proves helpful to you.

Big thing for me on the resort course is who really wants to spend the time on the classroom stuff during their vacation? If you can certify before you leave, then you can actually spend that time in the water and not half the day learning some fundamentals. Plus you'll get much better dives as a certified diver.

We will be stopping at Roatan for the first time on our next cruise. I've read about the incredible reef diving and snorkeling there. However, the last time my wife and I snorkeled (Antigua) she really struggled with it. She has offered up the idea of a what I call a scuba "resort course" or I think its call "introduction to scuba" now. I don't have a problem with the idea. Here's my questions. If we take this resort course in Roatan, do you spend more time just figuring out how to scuba and not enjoying the reefs, fish, environment, etc??

Andy

Hi Andy,

With what you've described I'd have to favor you towards snorkeling (with training from home). While a resort course is a lot different from snorkeling (and in some ways better), it sounds like your wife may not be totally comfortable in the water. I know mine gets in for about 15 minutes then back on the boat. With a resort course, having to deal with all the equipment, remember you add, tanks, weights, a bouyancy vest, probably a wet suit, along with the normal mask, fins, snorkel, it's a lot for someone not really into water sports. I'd suggest you call around to some local dive centers and see if they offer snorkeling courses. I know my local shop offers a very reasonable price in a local school pool. Get her in the water with the snorkel gear. Once, if she ever, gets comfortable with snorkeling, THEN I might consider the discover dive. Not all people are cut out to swim with the fishes and taking baby steps really helps eleviate the nervousness someone can get thinking about getting in the ocean. BTW, I don't know if you've done this but you might want to talk to your wife and supportively listen to her thoughts about being in the ocean. She might have some fears that you don't know about that can be worked on in a confined snorkel lesson in a pool.

My 2 cents,

Randall

As a dive instructor, I have to say that your wife sounds like the type of person who is not going to enjoy a discover diving experience all that much. This of course will lead to her being mad at you for making her try it, which will ruin your day, leading to too many margaritas later on and a hangover the next day (I shoulda been a marriage counselor).

Get some good snorkel gear as others have suggested and practice in a pool til she's comfortable. If you decide to get certified, take the time to meet some instructors and pick one you think will be best for you. Rushing through a certification on vacation is a drag.

Dale

PADI OWSI

My perfect instructor - handsome, well built and very hands on. Dale - can you send a picture?

Candy

My wife claims the "very hands on" applies to me but I guess I'm out of luck on the other selection choices. :D

Randall

Oh my wife is such a hoot! :rolleyes: I step away from the computer and look what happens. Thank goodness George Clooney isn't a dive master. Seriously - thanks to all for the advice. Since our cruise isn't until this fall, we're going to buy a mask and snorkel and try them out in our neighborhood pool this summer.

Andy

I would practice before I went snorkeling if you are that worried about it. You might check a local dive shop and ask them about some snorkel lessons. Our local dive shop has a big pool and gives dive lessons but I have never asked them about snorkel training. There isn't a lot of learn about snorkeling. You basically float on top of the water and breathe through the snorkel. The dive shop might help you with that part.

Good luck!

Hi All,

I did a deep sea dive in Curacao, many years ago when you didn't need to be certified. I've done some snorkeling in Bermuda and two years ago I went snuba diving (didn't care for it as much as the deep sea dive). This year I'd like to deep sea dive in Bermuda and Grand Turks and Caicos. How can I deep sea dive without being certified? I understand that there are resort courses. Can someone please explain the differences? Many thanks.

Chantal

Hi All,

I did a deep sea dive in Curacao, many years ago when you didn't need to be certified. I've done some snorkeling in Bermuda and two years ago I went snuba diving (didn't care for it as much as the deep sea dive). This year I'd like to deep sea dive in Bermuda and Grand Turks and Caicos. How can I deep sea dive without being certified? I understand that there are resort courses. Can someone please explain the differences? Many thanks.

Chantal

Hi,

"Resort Courses" are basically a guided introduction to scuba. You meet with your dive master in a confined body of water, pool, shallow cove, etc. where they take some time to go over basic scuba diving safety and instruction. Once you successfully pass the course, and deemed healthy enough to dive (you need to fill out a medical release form and may possibly need a note from your doctor if you have any chronic illinesses), the dive master will then take you on a "controlled" dive on the reef. Typically they're one tank dives (probably about 30 minutes unless you have really good breathing control) and usually 30ft. down or less. These dives are only for introductory purposes and do NOT count towards any certifications and are only good for the shop and location that you received your instruction (if you're on an island, sometimes a shop will allow you to dive under similar conditions for as much as a week without receiving additional training).

Certification of course is a lot different. For PADI, one of the larger certification organizations in North America, you have to do course study (mine was 4 nights at 3 hours each) and two sessions in confined water and four in open water. This will get you what they call "Open Water" certified. This allows you to dive unassisted, with a buddy, up to 60ft. and the certification is for life. Of course once your Open Water certified there's a wide range of specialties and advanced courses you can take (I'm doing my dry suit training this week). This culminates in PADI to the highest, non-professional rating of Master Diver, or you can branch into the professional training which goes far beyond this rating.

Anyway, hope this helped, check out www. padi.com for more info.

Randall

Archived