Mt. Washington & Cog Railway Excursion

bearnuts

I haven't done it through a cruise line but I have done it!

I live in NH. It is an amazing trip, a wonderful way to get to the top of Mt. Washington and lots of fun. I will post some pictures of webshots and then put them here.

At one point up the mountain you can stand up and lean all the way forward and not fall over because you are at such a steep grade.

Remember too, when doing this trip that the temp on the top of the mountain can be 40 degrees or more lower than at the bottom of the mountain (70 degrees at base, 30 degrees at top).

I have not done it on a cruise but it is a great experience. Like the previous post said it can vary quite a bit in temperature. One time I went up in a t-shirt and it was 75 at the bottom and at the summit it was very very foggy and about 35 degrees. Beautiful trip definitely would recommend it. New Hampshire is beautiful.:)

I almost had to laugh at this post just because I am from Maine and have been reading the boards all day to dream of far off warm places.... and to think we are a destination for a cruise is kinda funny to me....NH is beautiful and the top of Mt. Washington is a sight to behold...weather permitting... when are you coming? I have hiked it and gone by car so I can offer you no info on the rail.

I almost had to laugh at this post just because I am from Maine and have been reading the boards all day to dream of far off warm places.... and to think we are a destination for a cruise is kinda funny to me....NH is beautiful and the top of Mt. Washington is a sight to behold...weather permitting... when are you coming? I have hiked it and gone by car so I can offer you no info on the rail.

I did the same thing - I'm from Mass and have been to Mt. Washington more times that I can possibly count. I'm concentrating so hard on vacationing some place far away and tropical, I think it's funny when people take a cruise up here! You will love it though - New England is beautiful, do the cog railway and enjoy Mt Washington - and the rest of your cruise :)

I am from south of Boston too. I took a double take when I saw this post. I hope you really enjoy New Hampshire. Yes Jerseyshore Bruce it IS beautiful up there. That is why you should be coming to camp with your cruise buddies to get ready for the Fantasy in August!! To the OP.. I imagine you are sailing into Boston? How long is this excursion? It will take quite a while to get up to Mount Washington but if you have the time it is worth it.

I am from south of Boston too. I took a double take when I saw this post. I hope you really enjoy New Hampshire. Yes Jerseyshore Bruce it IS beautiful up there. That is why you should be coming to camp with your cruise buddies to get ready for the Fantasy in August!! To the OP.. I imagine you are sailing into Boston? How long is this excursion? It will take quite a while to get up to Mount Washington but if you have the time it is worth it.

From Plymouth Mass here all...Mt. Washington is absolutely beautiful!! but I still can't wait for my warm warm cruise:)

Thanks for all of your help,we are going to be there on Sept. 15.We are from PA so we won't mind the cold too much.Thanks for the pictures it looks very beautiful.Yes we are sailing into Boston,the excursion lasts 9 hours and costs $180 per person.

Thanks for all of your help,we are going to be there on Sept. 15.We are from PA so we won't mind the cold too much.Thanks for the pictures it looks very beautiful.Yes we are sailing into Boston,the excursion lasts 9 hours and costs $180 per person.

If you are only in Boston for the day, and you want to see Boston I would skip the Mt. Washington trip. You will spend about 4 of those hours on roundtrip bus transportation.

You will see beautiful scenery going through the White Mountains. I don't think it is a very active trip if you want to be walking around on an excursion.

Have fun!

I too, did a double take since we live in Maine. We love the White Mountains and go there every year in early Oct for our anniversary. We have been on the top of Mt. Washington a couple of times. The last time it was in early October (folliage spectacular) and about 68 degrees on the base. We took our winter jackets and gloves...people thought we were nuts. The summit had snow and the wind was howling as usual. If you are cruising to Boston, I would agree that the distance from Bean Town to Mt. Washington is a long haul...suprised they offer this tour.

I would agree with a previous NE poster...read this board for sun and warmth!!

LOL.. I know what you mean.

There are times when I want to see Alaska and think I'd like to take a cruise there....then, I look at the pictures of Alaska...see all the snow and think to myself, "Nah...I get enough of that already" :p

I'm hoping that one day when my DH retires, we'll move south someplace, and after a year or two in the heat, Alaska will look more appealing. :D

In the mean time to all you folks who live in warm-weather climates, New England/Canada are beautiful and a cruise here won't disappoint.

As others have said, Mt. Washington is amazing. (Seacoast NH-er here). Be sure to wave at all the hikers hiking up. I haven't hiked it in years.

It's a good couple hour drive up, and then the cog is an hour to the top. You probably will only get 20 minutes to 1/2 hour at the top though. They have a lodge where you can get and buy trinkets.

Be prepared for the weather though. You could have fog, high winds....Mt. Washington doesn't get the reputation as having the world's worst weather without reason.

I thought you might have been coming into Portland for this trip. If you are coming from Boston...it will be a long day...with no guarantee weather wise that you will even see anything from the top of Mt Washington. I would hate for you to journey all that way and have your pinnacle moment...kinda risky. I agree with other posters that there is a lot to do in Boston. There is a great Art museum, the Science museum, the Aquarium, Fannuel Hall, Monuments, Duck boat tours, Old Ironsides. If you are the for that long you could look into what performances are being held the day you are in town too. Go to the city of Boston web site... you'll see tons to do. Hope this helps...

I have not done this as an excursion. I have been on the mountain in the summer and was lucky enough to be there on a clear day. It is beautiful of course !! If you want to you can check this site : http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/monthly_summary.php and look up the month you will be there. Last July for example:

Percentage of Possible Sunshine: 23%

Number of Clear Days: 0

Number of Partly Cloudy Days: 5

Number of Cloudy Days: 26

Number of Days with Fog: 30

Number of Days with Rain: 23

Number of Days with Snow: 4

It is beautiful, but 5 – 6 hours of bus time , wow, maybe if I have seen a lot of Boston already.

I have not done the Cog railroad but my in-laws have. They enjoyed it but their advice was to sit near the back as they were fighting smoke from the smoke stack of engine when the wind was ‘right’.

Archived