Jeep or Convertible in Maui

Chester

We're planning to do the road to Hana one day and probably go the other direction the next day. I have reserved jeeps for the other islands but thought a convertible might be fun on Maui. Would it make any difference whether I go with a jeep wrangler or a sebring convertible on Maui? Thanks!

We did the complete trip around Haleakala in a Sebring sedan with no problems. We also went around the other side of the island, West Maui, and again no problems. The roads are very narrow in spots, but we didn't encounter anything you'd need a jeep for. I'm told that there can be problems if there's been heavy rain recently, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Mandy - For the Jeep Wranglers ... I'm using National in Kauai @ $47.27; Thrifty in both Hilo and Kona on the Big Island @ $67.36 each place and Dollar in Maui @ $57.73, All prices are for one day rental and include all of the taxes. I'm also using Budget in Honolulu for a Ford Escape @ $49.86

Hope that answers your question.

Would it make any difference whether I go with a jeep wrangler or a sebring convertible on Maui? Thanks!

On a quiet evening here on Maui, we locals like to go to the airport and watch visitors open the trunk of their newly-rented convertibles and discover that there is no room for their luggage. Dairy Road has an endless stream of convertibles, with luggage loaded in the back seat (sometimes sitting on back seat passenger's laps). Just a heads up...

Thanks Maui_Wahine ... good point. That rag top has to go somewhere when it's down. Fortunately, we're arriving via cruise ship so the only luggage we'll be dragging along will be our swim suits and beach towels. Mahalo!

Thanks Chester, that answers my question. I dont need a car on O'ahu (I live there), but I want to rent a car on Maui and am leaning towards the Wrangler. Are the Jeeps you're renting manual or automatic (neither myself nor my husband can drive manual). Thanks!

Mandy

Mandy - I was having problems getting a Jeep Wrangler on the Big Island for a reasonable price until I found http://www.vacationweb.com/cars/. They offer special rates on Maui, Kauai, the Big Island and Oahu - the Jeep Wrangler is $57 plus taxes = $67.36 per day.

Selecting "Book Online" takes you to the Thrifty reservation system with Promotion Number PC2037 pre-entered. There is a Thrifty location in Maui at the Kahului airport - not sure if that would be convenient for you. So, if you're having problems finding a rate better than $57 per day - check the above site.

I just double checked the details for both National and Thrifty and they indicate their Jeep Wranglers have an automatic transmission and air conditioning.

On our cruise to Hawaii, I had reserved jeeps at all four islands. I have to say that we found the road noise extremely loud, it did not handle well (and these roads are twisty and narrow at the higher elevations), and when we went up into those higher elevations, many times we would encounter mist or rain, and we would literally have to pull over, get out in the rain, and snap the roof back on, not to mention the fact that our belongings were really not all that secure in the jeep. By the second island, we went with a convertible instead (I believe we ended up with two Camaros and a Sebring by the end of the cruise). With the fully automatic-top, we didn't get wet and could put the top up quickly and easily, there was absolutely no road noise, it handled much better, and was much more fun to drive. Hands down I would recommend the convertible. We drove virtually everywhere on all four islands and had absolutely no problem with the convertibles whatsoever. The funny thing was that I had always wanted a jeep and had planned to buy one on return from our trip, but driving that one in Hawaii cured me of that. Hope this helped, and happy cruising. -- Cheryl

Archived