diving in Papeete ?

bogiestack

Just read a response within another thread about the quality of a pre/post dive in Papeete with the onsite operator at the Intercontinental. I have a reservation with them for precruise next week. Has anyone used them? What was your experience with the outfit or location of the dives?

bogiestack,

The dive operation at the IC is French run which is not a problem but limited English. The dives are pretty good usually two locations. Both are wreck sites, one with a small plane and the other a ship and a larger plane. Great Vis.

Have a great time, I know you will wife and I have used them 3 different times. Bottom line they are very professional and good equipment.

You may be referring to my response in another thread. I used the dive op at the IC, and had a HORRIBLE experience. The dive site was pretty boring, especially compared to the sites that we visited off the PG. I didn't realize how boring it was until I got onto the ship and started diving with the PG crew...what a huge difference! Maybe I was just there on a bad day, and all the fish were on holiday. But there was just little to see...at least where they took us.

As for the dive op - I'm not making this story up. They did the worst job I've ever experienced from a dive op - and I've been diving in some pretty awesome locations around the world. (Costa Rica, Bali, Caribbean, Belize, Mexico, Oriskaney in Pensacola, and frequent dives here in SoCal).

Yes there was definitely a language barrier. But I've worked with dive ops with a language barrier before. I was a solo diver, and since I didn't have a buddy, the DM had me and another solo diver dive with him. So we dropped down, and as soon as we got to depth....WHOOSH! Off the DM went! He was finning faster than I could keep up with. And he never even looked back to see where I was! This was a VERY tall man, with really long legs and powerful fin strokes, and I was sucking down my tank just to keep him in view.

I did see the occasional thing I would have liked to stop to look at, but I couldn't because he was hauling a** so fast that I would have been left in the silt if I stopped.

Finally he slowed down enough for me to catch up, but at that point my air was so low, I had to start my ascent so I'd have time for a safety stop! He never asked, I had to forcibly show him that I was low on air...and he was clearly PISSED that I was. The other diver must have been in far better physical shape than me, because he managed to keep up with him the whole time and clearly still had lots of air. But...oh well...dive over, because I was out. So they both glared at me during the entire three minute safety stop. And I'd like to point out that I am not generally a vacuum - I run marathons, I keep myself in good shape, I normally outlast almost everyone I buddy with. But I don't know anyone who can avoid sucking down their tank when they are forced to FIN like they're being chased by a hammerhead!

And then, during the safety stop, the DM must have decided I was a newbie diver (I'm NOT). He shot a bag up and INSISTED that I hold the line along with him. 'Scuze me but I'm perfectly capable of maintaining my safety stop without a line. There was no current, the seas were calm. He didn't insist the OTHER guy hold the line! When I would let go he would forcibly grab my hand and put it back on it! What was up with that??

Once we got back to the boat, and the rest of the divers came back, I could tell they spent the whole ride back talking and laughing about me. I may not speak French, but I know enough of it to know when I'm being talked about. The DM never said a word TO me, but he sure pointed and gestured towards me a lot while talking with the others. I'm sure they all had a blast making fun of me. Lord knows what he might have told them - I didn't do a thing wrong on that dive except suck down my tank when I couldn't keep up with freaking Speedy Gonzales.

I'm sure some other folks have had a good experience with them - especially if you speak French. For me, it was undoubtedly the MOST unpleasant dive experience I've ever had. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to them.

Archived