What is this stuff?

I just got back from my first cruise on the navigator and saw something that I am not sure about. We were off the coast of Belize and the ship was pumping out a tan like color water - thousands of gallons of it. Must have covered 4 or 5 acres of water. i believe it was treated sewage, but want to get someone elses opinion. it was sad either way since the water was so beautiful and then this massive stain was everywhere. the stain continued as we pulled out for probably 20 minutes following behind us.

That probably was not anything that was being pumped out. It was most likely the bottom being churned up from the bow thrusters and the props at the rear. It usually happens at most stops, especially where it is relatively shallow.

Yeah, that was just the bottom getting churned up. I'm pretty sure the maritime environmental laws would prohibit anything but clean water from being pumped and even there I think they are extremely restricted due to warm/cold water messing with ecosystems as well as things that could be transported.

When we were on Legend of the Seas last yeat at Belize, Capt Nik told us that there was only 7 -12 feet of water under her keel. They don't drop anchor because they don't want (and are prohibited from) to damage the reef so they use the thrusters for station keeping.

I just got back from my first cruise on the navigator and saw something that I am not sure about. We were off the coast of Belize and the ship was pumping out a tan like color water - thousands of gallons of it. Must have covered 4 or 5 acres of water. i believe it was treated sewage, but want to get someone elses opinion. it was sad either way since the water was so beautiful and then this massive stain was everywhere. the stain continued as we pulled out for probably 20 minutes following behind us.

It was stirred up stuff. The Navigator does not anchor. It is held in place by thrusters and the GPS. What you saw was sand and dirt stirred up. You see that too when the tenders run their engines. Belize is extremely shallow.

Thanks for the info....i did not relize it was so shallow. it is good to know that poo is not going over the side! I will let my kids know since it concerned them.

Be thankful you didn't actually have to have the "poo" talk with the kids!

Archived