Gold Dredge in Skagway - advice, comments wanted

2Oregonians

The dredge tour in Skagway - "Gold Fever Adventure" -- my husband booked this for himself while I take a different tour with my older parents. My question is, do you think this is a good choice for him? I realize it's subjective, but just wondering if this is more geared for kids, or will a 50-something guy who is curious about gold panning and might want to get into it as a hobby enjoy this excursion or get anything out of it? Or is it just too corny with the characters and all? Will he be able to overlook the characters and really learn something about panning history, methods, etc?

I'm not sure if this is the same excursion I took with my husband or not a few years ago. I think ours went to "Liars camp" or something like that in the name... can't remember for sure. We had a salmon bake which was good but it was raining so picnicing wasn't too pleasant. Then they had a "show" -- period costumes. I didn't care for the show and it went on too long. By the time we got to the actual "gold panning" - they wanted to hurry us up for the next group coming in so it was very rushed and if you couldn't find your "gold" speck, they came over, did it for you and put your speck in a plastic bag and shuffled you off. We didn't even have enough time to go through the small buildings they had there. I was disappointed in it.

Yours may not be the same trip. I would check with the excursion desk on board and ask for details about how much time is spent gold panning.

I'm not sure if this is the same excursion I took with my husband or not a few years ago. I think ours went to "Liars camp" or something like that in the name... can't remember for sure. We had a salmon bake which was good but it was raining so picnicing wasn't too pleasant. Then they had a "show" -- period costumes. I didn't care for the show and it went on too long. By the time we got to the actual "gold panning" - they wanted to hurry us up for the next group coming in so it was very rushed and if you couldn't find your "gold" speck, they came over, did it for you and put your speck in a plastic bag and shuffled you off. We didn't even have enough time to go through the small buildings they had there. I was disappointed in it.

Yours may not be the same trip. I would check with the excursion desk on board and ask for details about how much time is spent gold panning.

I "think" liarsville is a different tour than the gold dredge tour, but I could be wrong. Thanks for your review of the liarsville one.

Hubby keeps asking me if anyone has responded to this. So... anyone have any thoughts that I could pass along to him??? Have you been on this tour??? Thank you!! :D

I responded on your other thread, but will just add here that you might be interested to know that this dredge came to the Yukon from Oregon in 1946.

Murray

I am also planning to go the gold dredge- but on our own. I'm told that it is within walking distance of the cemetary. Their website says that there are 2 tours- one is just gold panning and one is a whole tour. I'm planning on doing the whole tour on our own and I would appreciate any feedback as well.

The Gold Dredge website is so out of date, you can only book tours for 2006! And they don't open until May, so you can't talk to anybody just yet. As soon as they open, I plan to call and buy tickets for late May.

I responded on your other thread, but will just add here that you might be interested to know that this dredge came to the Yukon from Oregon in 1946.

Murray

Thanks again, Murray. I did respond on the other thread. Great info! :D

Archived