Homer - Family friendly lodging, any ideas?

sdfamily

I'm trying to find a place in Homer for 3 nights in June. We are a party of 7: FIL, MIL, DH, myself, DSs (9, 7, 18 months).

While staying on the spit (looking at Land's End Lodges), sounds great. I kind of envisioned the boys running on the beach. But I read something about mud-sucking / mud-flats, and am reconsidering. Do I have this right that it's not beach but mud?

If we stay somewhere off the spit, I was looking at Almost Home Accomodations (http://www.alaskaexcursion.com/almosthome.htm). They also do halibut charters. Can anyone recommend this place? It looks like a great spot for the boys to run around.

Any other recommendations? Most of the ones I read about on this forum looked like places for couples. Staying above an art gallery with 3 kids does not sound like a good idea...:D

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to find a place in Homer for 3 nights in June. We are a party of 7: FIL, MIL, DH, myself, DSs (9, 7, 18 months).

While staying on the spit (looking at Land's End Lodges), sounds great. I kind of envisioned the boys running on the beach. But I read something about mud-sucking / mud-flats, and am reconsidering. Do I have this right that it's not beach but mud?

If we stay somewhere off the spit, I was looking at Almost Home Accomodations (http://www.alaskaexcursion.com/almosthome.htm). They also do halibut charters. Can anyone recommend this place? It looks like a great spot for the boys to run around.

Any other recommendations? Most of the ones I read about on this forum looked like places for couples. Staying above an art gallery with 3 kids does not sound like a good idea...:D

Thanks in advance!

The beach in front of Land's End is ROCK. The mud flats are on the north end of the Spit or around Turnagain Arm (Girdwood). It is perfectly safe on the beach at Land's End. LOTS of people fish from that very beach.

There is not a lodging in Homer for parties as large as yours. A 3 bedroom condo at Land's End would work-everyone gets a bedroom. Probably have to have the 18 month old sleep with you.

One other place is Alaska Suites, on the way into Homer. However, you would have to rent more than one, so the cost will be equal to or even more than Land's End.

And the place you posted-it is a long way from anything. Beautiful view, but you will have to load everyone in the car to see the sights. Same with Alaska Suites.

With young kids, you can keep them entertained on the beach looking for seashells if nothing else. You are close enough to the "action" to walk most anyplace. In your situation and if there is space available, I would book one of the upper floor Land's End condos.

No worries about the beach in Homer.

Besides the beach area on the Spit there is Bishop's Beach. We have stayed at the Garden Shed at this property http://homerseasidecottages.com/ and it's about I'd say 3 blocks to the beach. Love to head down there with Shadow and walk the tide, seaweed, shells, coal and her chasing the seagulls.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Awesome! Thanks for the quick info. We live near the beach in San Diego and the kids can spend hours combing the sand for interesting artifacts.

greatam - I've put in an inquiry for the condos to see what's available. Sounds right up our alley. We love to be in the center of things.

aksusan - I had looked at the Seaside cottages earlier, but got sidetracked. Now, I remember and will also inquire. Thanks!

I got confused about the location of the mudflats....I had this vision of the 18 month old getting stuck and disappearing in the tide....:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived