Last Meal On the Titanic - 96 Years Ago

Ms Belvedere

Hey the Titanic even had a "Supper Club":

On the evening of April 14, 1912 a number of first-class passengers on the Titanic revelled in a privately hosted feast in the first-class á la carte restaurant. At the same time in the first-class dining saloon other first-class passengers - some who had paid the equivalent of $124,000 in today's dollars for the ocean voyage - settled in for a sumptuous, if over-filling, ten-course extravaganza. Meanwhile, in the second-class dining saloon, second-class passengers ate a less elaborate but beautifully served dinner. And on F deck in what would be called "steerage" in lesser vessels, third-class passengers ate simply prepared, hearty meals served in their own spartan dining saloon.

......and which "Kate" did you play? We saw the original run on Broadway, really a great show, better than the movie......

Kate 3--Kate Murphy. :) Isn't it a great show? So moving. I thought it was funny how many people thought it was going to be a musical version of the movie. Ah, no...those characters were fiction, these are the real deal. My husband didn't really appreciate me singing 'Titanic' songs on our cruise though. LOL

10 courses is a lot of food but I'm sure when you are eating a 10 course meal the servings are very small, at least I would hope they are or like everyone else has said, you wouldn't stand a chance if the ship were to sink. :eek:

Great history lesson!! Thanks, Ms. B!!

Found the rest of the menues based on each class:

2nd Class - April 11, 1912

-Breakfast-

Fruit

Rolled oats, Broiled Hominy

Fish

Yarmouth Bloaters

Grilled ox kidneys & Bacon

American Hash au Gratin

Grilled sausage, Mash Potatos

Grilled Ham & Fried Eggs

Fried potatos, Vienna & Graham Rolls

Scones

Buckwheat Cakes, Maple Syrup

Conserve Marmalade

Tea Coffee

Watercress

2nd Class - April 12, 1912

-Lunch-

Pea Soup

Spaghetti au Gratin

Corned Beef Vegetable Dumplings

Roast Mutton

Baked Jacket Potatoes

Cold.

Roast Mutton Roast Beef

Sausage Ox Tongue

Pickles Salad

Tapioca Pudding

Apple Tart

Freash Fruit

Cheese Buiscuits

Coffee Tea

2nd Class - April 14, 1912

-Dinner-

Consomme' - - Tapioca

Baked Haddock, Sharp Sauce

Curried Chicken & Rice

Spring Lamb, Mint Sauce

Roast Turkey, Cranberry Sauce

Green Peas - - - Puree' Turnips

Boiled Rice

Boiled & Roast Potatoes

Plum Pudding

Wine Jelly - - - Cocoanut Sandwich

American Ice Cream

Nuts Assorted

Fresh Fruit

Cheese - - - Biscuits

Coffee

[/color][/size][/color][/size]

Thanks for finding and posting this. I could eat the 2nd Class menu, except maybe the "Yarmouth bloaters" :confused: :)

Thank you for posting this, it was fascinating. And everyone is really funny - made me chuckle.

There was a TV show over here in the UK last year called "How the Edwardians Ate"

For breakfast alone, there would be several courses. It was an experiement that the host lived by for one week. At the end of it, he had a check up with the doctor, who said after a couple of months living like that the very best he could hopeful is gout!

To be fair though, most courses were picked at, rather than eaten.

Thanks for finding and posting this. I could eat the 2nd Class menu, except maybe the "Yarmouth bloaters" :confused: :)

Apparently this is a "famous" dish although I'd never hard of it:

The Origin of the Yarmouth Bloater

Exactly when the first Yarmouth Bloater was made is not clear, but it is believed to have been around 1835 when a herring-curer named Bishop had a happy misfortune.

It transpired that one night a quantity of fresh herrings had been missed and not processed, so as not to waste these fish Bishop is said to have covered them in salt, spitted them and hung them up in the smokehouse.

On his return the next morning he was amazed by their colour and taste and so proceeded to perfect the cure.

In 1919 a Mr J W de Caux J.P. wrote – “A real Yarmouth bloater is a full herring slightly salted and smoked; it should be eaten within two or three days, as it will not ‘keep’ long, and soon loses its flavour”

Apparently this is a "famous" dish although I'd never hard of it:

The Origin of the Yarmouth Bloater

...1835 when a herring-curer named Bishop had a happy misfortune.

It transpired that one night a quantity of fresh herrings had been missed and not processed, so as not to waste these fish Bishop is said to have covered them in salt, spitted them and hung them up in the smokehouse.

It's amazing how they found ways to preserve food back before freezers and canning. Now days we'd have just thrown that missing container of fish away.

What is with the crock pot? I have seen this mentioned on several different threads. Come clean. What's with the crock pot? :confused:

It started with a large group of Carnival Cruisers who brought everything but the kitchen sink, the big item was blenders to make drinks in their rooms. The joke about bringing the crock pot came from the discussions about what they were bringing to contribute to the parties in their rooms. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will post a correction. :D

The on-line discussions usually went into how to get kegs onto the ship by hauling them up the sides on ropes and the number who were bringing grills and fishing from the side of the ship. It was all tongue-in-cheek fun.

When we cruised to Halifax we went to the Titanic museum and did see some of the menus for the different passenger classes onboard. I remember one of the menus offered 3rd class passengers a cheese sandwich for their dinner. That's a far cry from that first class dinner menu.:eek:

A crock pot is basically just a big pot. Don't know the origin of the 'crock' bit but it is just a slang term really

Yarmouth bloater - Yarmouth is in Norfolk (my Mum lives there), it is a herring, I think

It started with a large group of Carnival Cruisers who brought everything but the kitchen sink, the big item was blenders to make drinks in their rooms. The joke about bringing the crock pot came from the discussions about what they were bringing to contribute to the parties in their rooms. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will post a correction. :D

The on-line discussions usually went into how to get kegs onto the ship by hauling them up the sides on ropes and the number who were bringing grills and fishing from the side of the ship. It was all tongue-in-cheek fun.

I've been bringing a crock pot ever since I read about it on cruise critic gosh I guess it's been years ago. I've never used it but it was ona list of things you "must" bring:eek: I never knew it was a joke! one thing less to pack next time.......

j/k

• 2 weeks later...
This was posted on rec.food.cooking by JLA. I thought it was interesting to read how elaborate the food was and how it was prepared, at least in this class dining room:

96 years ago, the Titanic was preparing for its maiden voyage. It was on April 14th, 1912, when the last meal was served in the first-class dining room. As we all know, later that night, the ship collided with an iceberg and sank, with the loss of over 1500 lives. Here’s a detailed look at what was on the menu for the first-class passengers.

First Course

Hors D’Oeuvres

Oysters

Second Course

Consommé Olga

Cream of Barley

Consummé Olga is made with a quart of warmed consummé (clear broth, usually beef) and a pint of good port wine. Then julienne a stalk of celery, the white of a leek, the outside only of a small carrot, and soften in butter over low heat. Add a little more consummé and reduce to a glaze, and then finish cooking the vegetables in it. In a tureen, put the glazed vegetables along with julienned gherkins, and the consummé and wine mixture. (Escoffier, 593)

Third Course

Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

A Mousseline is made by taking a pound of chicken, cleaned of all fat and sinew, and cut into cubes, and put in a food processor. Add one ounce of salt, a little pepper and nutmeg. and grind the meat until it is reduced to a paste. Add two egg whites, and continue to blend. Finally, add one pint of cream, being careful not to overbeat the mixture. Refrigerate. The resulting mixture can be formed into little football shaped morsels (quenelles) which would then be poached. (Based on Escoffier, 195)

Fourth Course

Filet Mignons Lili

Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise

Vegetable Marrow Farci

Tournedos Lili are seasoned steak fillets fried in butter, then arranged to form a crown, each on a crust of Potatoes Anna (basically, layered potato slices, generously buttered and baked in a hot oven for 30 minutes; Escoffier 2203), and then topped with an artichoke bottom, garnished with a slice of foie gras, and then topped with a slice of truffle, and served with a Périgueux sauce (Madiera wine, reduced veal stock, and chopped truffle; Escoffier, 47). In other words, this dish is gilding a lilly. (Escoffier, 1101)

Sauce Lyonnaise is a relatively simple sauce in comparison, flavored with sauteed diced onion, and equal parts white wine and vinegar, reduced to a glaze, and added to reduced veal stock (demi-glace). (Escoffier, 43)

Vegetable Marrow Farci are vegetables with marrow sauce, made of reduced red wine, herbs, and sliced or cubed beef marrow. Is apparently stuffed squash. “Marrow squash, also known as vegetable marrow, is a very large, green summer squash. They are related to zucchini, and can grow to the size of a watermelon. They have a bland flavor, and are frequently stuffed with a meat stuffing.” The “farci” indicates that marrow squash was stuffed. (source)

Fifth Course

Lamb, Mint Sauce

Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce

Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes

Green Pea Creamed Carrots

Boiled Rice

Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Chateau Potatoes are potatoes cut to the shape of olives, then cooked gently in clarified butter until golden and very soft, and sprinkled with parsley just before serving. (Escoffier, 2208)

Parmentier Potatoes is a pureed potato soup garnished with crouton and chervil, but it can also be served more like runny mashed potatoes. (Escoffier, 658)

Sixth Course

Punch Romaine

Punch à la Romaine is a mixture of dry white wine or champagne and a simple sugar syrup, plus the juices of two oranges and two lemons, with a bit of their zest, steeped for one hour. Strained and frozen, then mixed with a sweet meringue and then fortified with rum. It’s served like a sherbet, and acts as a palette cleanser. (Escoffier, 2932)

Seventh Course

Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course

Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course

Pate de Foie Gras

Celery

Tenth Course

Waldorf Pudding

Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly

Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs

French Ice Cream

Escoffier has nothing to say about Waldorf Pudding, but research on the net turns up several improvised recipes (1, 2, 3), none of which are authentic. They involve essential ingredients based on the famous Waldorf Salad, which has apples, walnuts and raisins, but I can’t help but suspect that these guesses may be off course. While it’s true that the one of the more common recipes that the Waldorf Astoria is known is the salad, there’s no reason to conclude that these are the only ingredients that could possibly be in a dessert of the same name.

Each of the 10 courses was served with a special accompanying wine. Following the tenth course, fresh fruits and cheeses were available followed by coffee and cigars accompanied by port and, if desired, distilled spirits.

I was looking around tonight at the home page here and saw a review of Azamara Cruiseline. I am a real food nut. They have gotten many rave reviews in this area. So I went to the website and guess what I found. The recipe for the "Waldorf Pudding"...they serve it in one of the specialy restaurants.

Go to Azamara and click n dining. Then click on specialty restaurant. It sounds very good.

The only reason I brought it us is we were trying to figure out what it was.......

A crock pot is basically just a big pot. Don't know the origin of the 'crock' bit but it is just a slang term really

quote=Cruiseforfun1;14306323]I've been bringing a crock pot ever since I read about it on cruise critic gosh I guess it's been years ago. I've never used it but it was ona list of things you "must" bring:eek: I never knew it was a joke! one thing less to pack next time.......

j/k

you are all cracking me up....ROTFL

^^^ LMAO, that would be horrible

That menu was too long but now that I've skimmed it good night:eek: cow, duck, lamb, chicken...were their any animals left alive in London when they left. Seems like they killed them all, put them on ice and sailed out

OMG:D I am rolling!

I was looking around tonight at the home page here and saw a review of Azamara Cruiseline. I am a real food nut. They have gotten many rave reviews in this area. So I went to the website and guess what I found. The recipe for the "Waldorf Pudding"...they serve it in one of the specialy restaurants.

Go to Azamara and click n dining. Then click on specialty restaurant. It sounds very good.

The only reason I brought it us is we were trying to figure out what it was.......

Thanks for the info, the pudding has apples in it, and those menus look delish. I'd like to try the Russian Salad. Last weekend I watched Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods) in Russia and the food was interesting!

• 3 years later...
This was posted on rec.food.cooking by JLA. I thought it was interesting to read how elaborate the food was and how it was prepared, at least in this class dining room:

96 years ago, the Titanic was preparing for its maiden voyage. It was on April 14th, 1912, when the last meal was served in the first-class dining room. As we all know, later that night, the ship collided with an iceberg and sank, with the loss of over 1500 lives. Here’s a detailed look at what was on the menu for the first-class passengers.

First Course

Hors D’Oeuvres

Oysters

Second Course

Consommé Olga

Cream of Barley

Consummé Olga is made with a quart of warmed consummé (clear broth, usually beef) and a pint of good port wine. Then julienne a stalk of celery, the white of a leek, the outside only of a small carrot, and soften in butter over low heat. Add a little more consummé and reduce to a glaze, and then finish cooking the vegetables in it. In a tureen, put the glazed vegetables along with julienned gherkins, and the consummé and wine mixture. (Escoffier, 593)

Third Course

Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

A Mousseline is made by taking a pound of chicken, cleaned of all fat and sinew, and cut into cubes, and put in a food processor. Add one ounce of salt, a little pepper and nutmeg. and grind the meat until it is reduced to a paste. Add two egg whites, and continue to blend. Finally, add one pint of cream, being careful not to overbeat the mixture. Refrigerate. The resulting mixture can be formed into little football shaped morsels (quenelles) which would then be poached. (Based on Escoffier, 195)

Fourth Course

Filet Mignons Lili

Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise

Vegetable Marrow Farci

Tournedos Lili are seasoned steak fillets fried in butter, then arranged to form a crown, each on a crust of Potatoes Anna (basically, layered potato slices, generously buttered and baked in a hot oven for 30 minutes; Escoffier 2203), and then topped with an artichoke bottom, garnished with a slice of foie gras, and then topped with a slice of truffle, and served with a Périgueux sauce (Madiera wine, reduced veal stock, and chopped truffle; Escoffier, 47). In other words, this dish is gilding a lilly. (Escoffier, 1101)

Sauce Lyonnaise is a relatively simple sauce in comparison, flavored with sauteed diced onion, and equal parts white wine and vinegar, reduced to a glaze, and added to reduced veal stock (demi-glace). (Escoffier, 43)

Vegetable Marrow Farci are vegetables with marrow sauce, made of reduced red wine, herbs, and sliced or cubed beef marrow. Is apparently stuffed squash. “Marrow squash, also known as vegetable marrow, is a very large, green summer squash. They are related to zucchini, and can grow to the size of a watermelon. They have a bland flavor, and are frequently stuffed with a meat stuffing.” The “farci” indicates that marrow squash was stuffed. (source)

Fifth Course

Lamb, Mint Sauce

Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce

Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes

Green Pea Creamed Carrots

Boiled Rice

Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Chateau Potatoes are potatoes cut to the shape of olives, then cooked gently in clarified butter until golden and very soft, and sprinkled with parsley just before serving. (Escoffier, 2208)

Parmentier Potatoes is a pureed potato soup garnished with crouton and chervil, but it can also be served more like runny mashed potatoes. (Escoffier, 658)

Sixth Course

Punch Romaine

Punch à la Romaine is a mixture of dry white wine or champagne and a simple sugar syrup, plus the juices of two oranges and two lemons, with a bit of their zest, steeped for one hour. Strained and frozen, then mixed with a sweet meringue and then fortified with rum. It’s served like a sherbet, and acts as a palette cleanser. (Escoffier, 2932)

Seventh Course

Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course

Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course

Pate de Foie Gras

Celery

Tenth Course

Waldorf Pudding

Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly

Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs

French Ice Cream

Escoffier has nothing to say about Waldorf Pudding, but research on the net turns up several improvised recipes (1, 2, 3), none of which are authentic. They involve essential ingredients based on the famous Waldorf Salad, which has apples, walnuts and raisins, but I can’t help but suspect that these guesses may be off course. While it’s true that the one of the more common recipes that the Waldorf Astoria is known is the salad, there’s no reason to conclude that these are the only ingredients that could possibly be in a dessert of the same name.

Each of the 10 courses was served with a special accompanying wine. Following the tenth course, fresh fruits and cheeses were available followed by coffee and cigars accompanied by port and, if desired, distilled spirits.

It sounds delicious except for the drowning part. :eek:

Today's American "diner' would probably refuse to eat over half of what's listed, though.

Archived