Sun Aft Penthouse-mid chemo therapy (4-5)

travelmatron

Without having to read this whole review, let me say that we absolutely loved our aft Penthouse Suite on the Sun and enjoyed the ship as a whole. Our Caribbean cruise was from April 5-12th; one of the last for this year but this review will be much more about the suite and ship than the itinerary. We consider ourselves ‘value travelers’ as opposed to ‘budget travelers’. Our children are grown, and for the past 10 years we’ve spent more on travel than our mortgage. It’s been an important part of our lives.

We sailed under somewhat special circumstances. My DH was diagnosed with cancer last November, and we’ve spent the past 5 months involved with tests, surgery, and chemotherapy. We were able to squeeze this trip in between cycles of chemo. Some side effects of chemo don’t lend themselves to taking a Caribbean cruise. Chemo causes photosensitivity, making sunburn a real hazard. It also totally disrupts the immune system so a Norovirus is actually dangerous, not just miserable.

We weighed those two negatives against a couple of advantages a cruise offers to some other side effects. For many people chemo causes a different taste in their mouths which means that some foods just seem to taste ‘wrong’. It takes the fun out of eating out when you have no idea if something will taste good. Onboard you can just send it back and get something different. Along that same food issue, during chemo sometimes people are suddenly ravenous, and at other times, not hungry at all. The doctors want them to eat whenever they feel like it to avoid excessive weight loss. Boy does that fit into freestyle dining and room service! Fatigue is another very big issue. This is not a tiredness that can be ‘worked through’ waiting for a second wind, it can be debilitating, and the ability to rest, do nothing, or even nap, is critically important. But our biggest reason for wanting a cruise was we needed a break. And that’s what we got!

The aft Penthouse was great. Its two rooms are separated by frosted French style doors. DH could nap and I still had my choice of the living room, a huge deck, or going out to do something else without disturbing him. It was very cool not to just have to sit and look at him or leave until I thought he might wake up. The entrance to the suite is on the opposite side of the living room so I don’t think he could even hear the door open or close! The bedroom is tucked into the corner of the ship with only a common wall with one other cabin. It’s totally shut off from the hallway. Since it has its own set of sliding doors to the balcony, the sea noise buffers just about everything. We were in 8077 just above the Stardust Lounge. Noise does come through the floor, but fortunately, the last show is over around 10:30 so this never caused us much of a problem. (We talked with the woman in the cabin above us on the 9th floor, and she didn’t hear any of the lounge music at all, so that cabin would be even better). What I didn’t realize when looking at the floor plan on the NCL web site is that the bathroom in the Penthouse runs the length of the living room along the hallway. Except for the lounge music, this was absolutely the most quiet cabin we’ve ever had.

The bathroom was terrific. What a difference from the tiny little shower areas in normal cabins! There are two doors, one from the bedroom and the other from the entrance hall to the cabin. From the bedroom, there is a dressing area with the smaller of the two closets, drawers, safe, dressing table, and real world hair dryer (women with long or thick hair will understand the importance of 1600 watts). Then in the biggest part of the bathroom is a large jetted soaking tub with shower and the granite topped vanity. At the far end of the bathroom from the bedroom, and just off the entrance hall is, a smaller separate shower, and a toilet in its own room. We have our own bathrooms at home and having several private areas in the bathroom made it much easier to share. Sometimes it’s the little things that impress us, and I have to say, I was impressed with the quality of toiletries! The Denny shampoo and conditioner is so nice I wish I could get it here at home. I loved having little containers of eye cream, lip balm, and skin conditioner with sun screen. The lotion was nice, my DH liked the after shave cream, and I thought it was great that the jar of bath salts was refilled every time I used them. Oh, I nearly forgot about the bath gel, soaps, sewing kit, cotton balls, and Q-tips.

The best part of the living room is that it exists; just having that extra space makes a world of difference. There are two comfortable chairs, a couch that converts to a bed, and a coffee table that is big enough to eat at comfortably. Sliding doors open to the deck.

We chose an aft cabin because we thought we’d like the longer, narrower balcony than those in front. For us, it was the right choice. There is space for two chairs, two recliners, and a table. Being in the back of the ship there is less motion, and on sea days, much less wind. One day while we were in port, it was too hot to use the balcony in the afternoon. One night it rained and the next day there was a lot of soot on the balcony. It was a combination of wind direction, and the rain causing it to drop more quickly. I didn’t mind that there was soot on the balcony because I knew that could happen from time to time, but the staff was amazingly slow in cleaning it up. It literally took all day, and to my mind, it shouldn’t have. But other than that, I had coffee out there every morning. Because there are so few aft cabins they don’t have all the ambient light from the ship, and star watching is terrific. We were out every night. Each day at sea we spent hours on the balcony, sometimes in the sun, and sometimes in the shade, just watching the ocean and chatting. What a relief from the stress we’ve been under!

The Penthouse was also an advantage for meals. We had most of our breakfasts in our cabin. The suite menu was enough for us, with both hot and cold choices, but I understood that if we wanted something that wasn’t on the menu, our butler would get it for us. DH was starving one afternoon and we ordered room service, but every afternoon the butler brought us appetizers. One day we were going to the beach, and I asked if we could have something when we got back “like cheese and crackers, or mixed nuts, or cookies”. He brought them all, plus chocolate dipped strawberries. On our last night on ship we needed a little comfort food, so he brought us milk and cookies. And, yes, it’s expected that you’ll tip the butler in addition to the automatic tips. No problem as far as we were concerned, we were happy to thank him.

The aft cabin was just down the stairway (or elevator) from the Outdoor Café, and we tried that once for breakfast, and once for lunch when we were in a hurry. I wasn’t completely comfortable in how they were cleaning the tables, and the food wasn’t that great, so there was no need to use it again.

Of course that means we were just down the stairway from the Garden Café. We got our lunch there several days, but usually took it back to the cabin to eat. I missed having trays to carry things on, but suppose that cuts down on people taking too much food. We actually enjoyed the food selections in the Garden Café. Hey, it’s a buffet, not a 4 star restaurant. The nice thing was being able to try a little of a lot of things to see what appealed to DH on any particular day. It was very handy.

All the specialty restaurants except Adagio were up the same staircase. We ate at the Cagney’s in the steak house, le Bistro, and Adagio. Le Bistro was by far our favorite for both food and service. We enjoyed Seven Seas and Four Seasons equally, but used Seven Seas more just because it was aft. The breakfast service was a bit slow, so we only used it twice.

This aft staircase thing is beginning to be a bit of a theme. It was very convenient to just walk downstairs to the Stardust Lounge. I liked all the shows I saw. I’ve been on about 15 cruises, and I really thought this was about the consistently best entertainment I’ve seen. I always sat in the balcony, and there were good sight lines, and plenty of seats. DH wasn’t particularly interested in, or was usually too tired for the shows so I went alone. It was wonderful to be able to enjoy the entertainment without feeling weird by being alone. I couldn’t have done that in Vegas or in most towns. It let me do what I wanted, and freed DH from feeling responsible for what I could or couldn’t do. The cruise was a huge advantage to something like a resort in this.

We spent very little time in the public areas of the ship except the restaurants. Because of the current cancer/chemo thing, I’ve never been on a cruise where I was as concerned with cleanliness. I loved the hand sanitizers in all the restaurants. I loved that the crew was happy to bump knuckles with us instead of shaking hands. I loved the Sun’s reputation for cleanliness and lack of Norovirus history. I wasn’t happy that we couldn’t seem to get our cabin stewards to wash the greasy body prints of the prior passenger’s children off our balcony doors. We finally took care of that ourselves, and used a lot of disinfectant spray that I’d brought with us. Mostly, though, I think our health issues are our own responsibility.

We only went on two shore excursions through NCL. Tabyana Beach and Snorkel was a very good one for us. We have our own snorkel equipment so we didn’t have to pay the $29.00 to rent equipment. We also enjoyed how close the reef was to the beach. We loved not having to wear a vest, but that’s a personal thing. When we got to the beach, we found a nice spot in the shade. After lunch (which was fine) I noticed DH was turning pink (we used to know how much sun we could handle). We were pleased that we were able to return to the ship early.

In Belize, we went to Bannister Island. We just didn’t fully understand how crowded the island would be, and how little shade was available. This was not a good place for us to be, but families with children and those wanting to be in the sun had a great time. There were three other ships using the island the day we were there, and we had a good time sharing some shade with a couple from Carnival. I have to admit to some beach towel envy. It sure is my hope that 2.0 will replace the sad looking stained towels we carried to that beach. DH came back to the ship with lots of insect bites, but they always seem to find him. I only had two minor bites.

The concierge service with the suite was also very nice. Erica was in touch with us at least daily to be sure everything was going well, and provided us with priority tender service and priority disembarkation. We didn’t use it, but it was nice to know it was available. I’m not sure if we ever would have solved our problems with the cabin attendants without her. She just made everything on board easier, and we appreciated her a great deal. She is the only one we talked to about our cancer/chemo issues. It was great not to have to talk about health issues on board, yet bet able to have some special requests from time to time without feeling outrageously ‘high maintenance’.

This is much longer than I thought it would be, and I know it’s very subjective. If someone reading is in need of a safe escape, and wondering if a suite is worth it, from our experience, I’d have to say it is. It was worth every penny. If we could work it into our schedule I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

Very glad you got a break between treatments and took the Sun cruise in aft suite. We were in 9076 couple years ago - really really loved it and on 9 didn't get noise from the lounge. The separate bedroom, wonderful bathroom and having two sliders to the very long balcony were all much appreciated. Next time try Las Ramblas for breakfast, assuming they still serve it there. Best wishes to both of you and keep cruising :)

Karen J

What a wonderful review---your description brought back such fond memories or our cruise on the Sun. We had penthouse 0065 and also loved everything about it. Didn't even bother us that the Great Outdoor Cafe was right above us.

Best wishes to you and your husband hope all goes well!:)

Retiredonthesea

The aft cabins are the best!! (except for the soot problem you described which I didn't experience personally) My hubby and I had the aft mini-suites two doors down from yours when we went to Alaska. I warmly remember the mild reverberations of the show music coming from the Stardust Lounge. It was nice to know that the music wouldn't go on all night, but really, the band is so good that I welcomed the "entertainment". We generally went to the early shows and so were settling for bed at those times. Thanks for stirring that happy memory for me!! We also shared the same cruise last week. It's really wonderful that the same ship can serve such different purposes for each.

I wish the best for you and your husband and hope to read more of your reviews!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband...vacations have always been important to us as well. You can always make more money but you can't make more time. I pray your husband responds well to the chemo and has a great prognosis! Your review was very informative and well written!

Cheryl,

My DH and are on the TA to London Sunday. Jim is also in between chemo treatments. We will be on the Jewel in an aft Penthouse. Our first time in an aft and after reading your enjoyment of the balcony my thoughts were exactly as you described. Being able to sit out there and enjoy life. Exposure to the sun was also a concern but with a hat and sunblock he should be ok.

I so much appreciated your comments and know exactly how you are feeling. The obsession with cleanliness (can never be to clean for me), choices of what to eat and the need to rest. Again, like you I though the buffet would be the best place for him to be able to pick and chose what may be appealing. Hopefully there will be lots of items that tempt him to at least try a mouthful. I can't remember the last Jim really had solid food. He seems to live on frappes, Boost and Oreo's.

We also consider ourselves to be value travelers these last few years. We have been on the Jewel for 2 other TA's and know her well. We booked this cruise knowing it may be our last and plan on enjoying evey minute. In the past I felt spoiled with the amenities but now will appreciate them for the comfort they will give him.

I have been in contact with the ship coordinator for the Jewel and have received nothing but positve feedback on his needs. My request to bring his drinks aboard were instantly approved. As you know, we make sure that we have on hand what appeals and tastes good to them. As you stated not many things taste good.

I hope that the treatments are helping your DH. I also wish you the strength to carry on.

Barbara

Thanks for sharing your review with us. And best of luck to your husband. Our oldest son was diagnosed with cancer during his freshman year of college and only given a ten percent chance of surviving chemo. He just celebrated his tenth year in remission.

Some of our friends, knowing how germ-o-phobic we've become, gently questioned going on a cruise. I was so glad to read that Barbara and Jim are doing the same thing in a couple of days. It was a wonderful week, and for us, a great use of both time and money! I hope they come home with the same wonderful relaxed feelings! Carnac 767; it's always good to hear success stories, we are also hoping for a long remission. Thank you all for your good wishes, thoughts, and prayers!

My wife and I went to Hawaii after her Chemo and Radiation. She had Lung cancer stage 3b. It didn't look good. She had X- Rays done before

we left and we didn't want the results until we came back from our cruise.

We had a great time on POAM.

When we came back we had an appointment with her Oncologist and she said she had great news for us. Her tumor shrunk to a 1/4 of the original size.

She has been stable ever since. It has been 4 years now and they just graduated her to a regular Doctor, she doesn't have to see a Oncologist.

An X-Ray every six months. She is doing well. Has been back to work for 3 years. The funny thing about work was she couldn't wait to back. 3 years later she can't wait to retire.

Best of luck to your husband.

Carnac767 - how wonderful for you and your son. May he have many, many years of life.

Antioch Cruiser - what a determined woman your wife is. Stage 3b is pretty serious. How lucky you caught it before it developed to stage 4.

Jim was diagnosed with stage 4 that had metastized (sp?) to his brain. Successful surgery and radiation cleared that up. Chemo shrunk the tumor in his lung by more than 50%. Further chemo is now clearning up his lungs. He actually got a good thumbs up from his doctor this afternoon and is so looking forward to the cruise.

Chery, as you know a little relaxation and freedom from everything will make not only him feel better, but also will help me. He now wants to plan another cruise in the fall. I'll be booking one while we are on the Jewel.

Continued happiness and health to you and your husband.

Barbara

I was so glad to read your glowing review. You echoed everything I enjoyed! Most of all, I'm glad you and your DH got to spend relaxing, enjoyable time together. We unexpectedly lost my mom in January - just a few weeks before the two of us were due to cruise together. You probably noticed the silver frog I wore everywhere - it was hers, a birthday gift from my brother and me several years ago. She wore it all the time and it reminds me of her (as if I need a reminder!) I believe she enjoyed the cruise with us, although I did not wear it snorkeling. Didn't want a large fish to think he'd spotted a yummy snack!

I, too, enjoyed making my own schedule with my son and his girlfriend. We had such a good time together and apart. That was the beauty - they didn't feel like they HAD to be with me every minute, but we enjoyed the amenities of the suite. Even though they had their own cabin, they came down each evening and we had quiet time together before going to dinner.

We enjoyed all three of our excursions - I believe that the highpoint for the two of them was the monkeys at Gumbalimba Park in Roatan. For me, it was swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel.

I believe we left plenty of good karma in PH 9076 - we had such a good time that I still have a cruise buzz after being back at work two days and staying on the computer until nearly 11 last night to get a report done for my boss. It is a little hard to show off my cruise tan here in Atlanta since the temps are down in the 30s when we leave for work and I'm wearing turtlenecks and long trousers.

I send my best wishes and prayers to you and to your husband. I'm glad we got to meet!

Travelmatron(Cheryl) I left you a message on roll call.

I am glad everyone had a good time. I am also glad to hear everyone is doing ok and I hope things get even better......thoughts and prayers.

Brenda

So glad you were able to pull this cruise off.I'm in somewhat a simular situation.I was wondering if your husband needs infusions every so often,such as blood or platlets?If so how did that get handled?Again great review,and hope all goes well.

Infusions ?

So glad you were able to pull this cruise off.I'm in somewhat a simular situation.I was wondering if your husband needs infusions every so often,such as blood or platlets?If so how did that get handled?Again great review,and hope all goes well.

I'm sure you'll understand when I say I'm happy that I don't know the answer to your questions. So far all of DH blood tests have come back OK. He started chemo again yesterday, so had tests taken Wednesday. His doctor was impressed with how good they were. The cruise didn't hurt a bit, and maybe even helped, who knows. I did try searching the boards to see if there were any posts about cruising with cancer, and didn't find any. Surely lots of others have cruised with challenges, you might want to start a thread!

Babster: I'm glad we met too, and yes I did notice the pin. Terry's high school nickname was "Toad", so I always notice pins like that. :) It's very nice, and I think you were smart to take it off snorkeling!

Antioch Cruiser: It's great your wife is doing so well. I can sure understand not wanting to hear the results of tests before going. For those of us who did pretty well in school, it's very frustrating not to be able to do anything the day before an important test (like study) that can make them turn out better!

Manomet1: Barbara, there's no question that the cruise was good for ME, I hope YOU (both singular and plural) get the same pleasure from yours!

Archived