Gate 1 - Rhine Cruise

cole

We just returned from this river cruise - our first river cruise and wanted to give feedback about the ship, the itinerary and the crew. We would give two thumbs up on all three. The ship (Amadeus Royal) is beautiful, relatively new and very comfortable. The itinerary was spectacular with wonderful tours offered by the two guides (Rolf and Balascks) who were both extremely knowledgable regarding the history of each place we docked. We also took the optional tour to Rothenburg and Wurzburg and it was well worth the added expense. Cologne was probably the most disappointing, but only because it was demolished during WWII and rather than rebuild in the style of the historical city, all buildings except the cathedral were very modern. The Amadeus crew was outstanding, always attentive and friendly. One day as we returned to the ship after encountering a little snow and sleet - they met us at the door with cups of hot chocolate. Nice touch! We had the unfortunate experience of having our luggage delayed for 2 days and even though Rolf had many other duties to attend to - he took it upon himself to contact Delta frequently to track it down and have it delivered to the ship. Rest assured - if you have booked through Gate 1 on Amadeus Royal, you will have the trip of a lifetime. We are already looking forward to the next one. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer any and all of them.

Bitzy Cole

Hi Cole

I came back from Amadeus Royal cruise Danube River. I totally agree with you the the crew on Amadeus Royal are super attentive and friendly. My husband and I considered this trip as one of the best vacation we ever had. I think part of it was all the staff on Amadeus Royal that so friendly and take good care of us. We love the skit performed by the crew member. We never laugh that hard before. It was so nice to see them on the different role.

The other nice thing is the people that we get to meet on the cruise that make cruise memorable.

This is the first time we be on river cruise and booked with Gate 1. We also looking to book the next trip with them.

We began at Nuremberg and ended in Amsterdam. The ship docks near the Movenpick Hotel/Nemo Museum. It is within walking distance from the train station. We saw many people pulling their luggage from the train station to the docking area. Not only were there river cruise ships docked there, but the larger cruise ships also use that area.

One other thing - the literature states that internet is available - but it is very expensive ($1 Euro per minute). There are internet cafes located at every stop that are very inexpensive and some have free WiFi for customers if you have internet setup on your computer.

Any other questions - just ask.

Bitzy Cole

Hi Bitzy-I'm glad you had such a good time and loved the ship. Now I have two "thumbs up" for that ship and the crew. I can't wait to go.

Are the elecrical plugs on ship European? If they furnished a hair dryer, how did it work? Did you have any laundry done on the ship? Prices?

Thanks,

Terri

Hi Terri

It's me again. Yes, there is the hair dryer in your cabin. I'm not sure if it in the bathroom or in the bedroom but I know for sure that there was one.

There are some electrical plug in the your cabin. I bring my own adapter. Since I travel a lot,so I have the adapter which have 5 different plugs which I can use in European, Asian etc. In case you don't have one you can borrow them at the front desk.

They have the laundry service on the ship but I don't know the price.

Have a wonderful trip.

Hi Cole,

This too was our first river cruise and we must agree with you wholeheartedly.

We boarded in Budapest and had 14 wonderful days despite the weather.

We were also pleasantly surprised by the meals which were almost "BIG SHIP"

quality. In addition, were still trying to "DRY-OUT"! They really kept the wine and beer flowing well above our expectations.

We carry our own adaptors and convertors and the wattage is 220, so they were needed. The hair dryer was European, so did not need an adaptor for it. Could only use it in the cabin at the dressing table. The outlet in the bathroom was for an electric shaver only.

We just viewed our videos last night and they brought back so many great memories of the places we saw, experiences we had and the wonderful people we met. We will probably never do a big ship cruise again, unless there is a particular country we want to see that is not served by a river boat cruise!

Oops! Misunderstood about the electrical outlets. I thought you were referring to having adaptors in the cabin. There were two electrical outlets in our cabin next to the dressing table and of course, others for lamps. We had no problem recharging camera batteries, laptop, etc.

Thanks Bitzy and Travelbugs-

Sounds similar to a big cruise ship as far as plugs go. We'll have our adapters and converters with us too.

I'm so glad you had such a good time-I can't wait. Did you post pictures anywhere??

Terri

• 2 months later...
Thanks for this report. We gon on the AR in September and are looking forward to it. Did you start or end in Amsterdam? If so where did the boat dock?

I know I'm late but I just started researching our Rhine & Main River Cruise. We're booked on the MS Royal's cruise from Nuremberg to Amsterdam with 3 days of pre-cruise stay in Prague starting September 11. Are you on the same cruise? I'm looking for others but there doesn't seem to be a roll call for this cruise.

Archived