Skagway Heli/dog Sled Tour

islandgirl21

We are looking into going on the heli/dog sled tour out of Skagway, because I have read on the board that it is less cancelled. We are going in late July, do they still get cancelled alot that time of year ?? And does anyone know anything about the different companies ? I understand there to be 3. M & M, Coastal, & Tempsco. I would appreciate any input

this is by far the most expensive excersion we have booked, and would like to make an informed decision. Does it really matter which port we do it out of ?? Anyone who has done it, please let me know your thoughts.:)

This tour is the most canceled in Juneau with Skagway slightly less. There is ONLY TEMSCO as an operator out of Skagway. M&M is a tour company that would book you with TEMSCO. Coastal is out of Juneau.

There is NO time better/worse for this, as there is no way to predict the weather. Book in the timeframe that is available and makes the best use of your time, and hope for the best.

Is Skagway the best place to do dog sledding? Or should I look into it for our stays in Denali and Seward?

And if I do dogsledding in Skagway, should I skip the white pass train?

Oh and last but not least, do any of these places offer dog sledding on snow?

Let me tell you about how it worked in Skagway. You were taken by van to the airport (which is all of five minutes from where the ships dock) to board your helicopter. You fly up to Denver Glacier (yes you are on snow) and when you get off the helicopter to are directed to your dog team.

You then meet the team, and get set up for the sled ride - the ride itself is 2 miles long and you have a stop in the middle to change your position on the sled. When the ride is done, it is time for puppy socialization; you go and cuddle with the new puppies. Then you are given some hot cider and a human treat, and then it's back on the helicopter.

Those two hours just seemed to fly by...

You do have time to do both the dog sledding and the White Pass Rail Road during your port call.

Archived