train from Livorno to Pisa and Florence

We are planning to take the train from Livorno to Florence on one day and the next day from Livorno to Pisa. Do we need to buy our tickets before we leave on our cruise since our cruise is in June/July? I know how busy it will be then. Also, what train should be travel on so we can get the direct route and not make any stops? What site should we book our tickets if we do choose to buy them ahead of time? Thanks so much for any help!

No need to book ahead of time, though you can if you want to.

Here's the website:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/ferrovie/util/inglese.jsp

Note that Florence is 'Firenze' in italian.

I am going to Florence & then Pisa before heading to the ship. I am concerned about making sure I have a seat on the train the day I head to the port. Do the trains ever get sold out? Can you prebuy your ticket on line from the US? The day of my departure, there is a 7:54 AM ES train from Pisa to Civitavecchia for 39E (1st class) that arrives at 10:04. There is also a 8:55 AM ICplus train for 29.50E (1st class). Is there a big differnce between these accommodations? I will be traveling with many pieces of luggage. Your input is appreciated!

I am going to Florence & then Pisa before heading to the ship. I am concerned about making sure I have a seat on the train the day I head to the port. Do the trains ever get sold out? Can you prebuy your ticket on line from the US? The day of my departure, there is a 7:54 AM ES train from Pisa to Civitavecchia for 39E (1st class) that arrives at 10:04. There is also a 8:55 AM ICplus train for 29.50E (1st class). Is there a big differnce between these accommodations? I will be traveling with many pieces of luggage. Your input is appreciated!

1 class guarantees you a seat. 2 class guarantees you passage. Do they sell out? Sometimes, worse case is that you stand from point 'A' to point 'B'.

Is there a difference between IC+ and ES? Some, but from my experience, not a lot. I think that luggage spaces are better on ES than IC+. That being said, I'd take the IC+ because it gives you a 1-hr buffer on sail day.

You say that you are traveling with many pieces of luggage (are you alone?) Boarding the train in Pisa, and getting off in Civitavecchia, you will have 3 minutes (maximum) to get on/off. Read my article on trains at www.ftroute.com/fco_rom_civ.htm - in particular the part about luggage.

You can see the difference between trains here:

ES (eurostar) http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_stazioni/eurostar/index.html

ICplus (intercityplus)

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_stazioni/intercity/index.html

Buon Giorno!

2 years ago, we spend 3 weeks in Italy. We took trains almost every single day as we had a home base in regions and then took day trips..

For example... Florence to Pisa, Sienna, etc etc

Not once, in our entire time in Italy was a train on time...and I don't mean a few minutes off, sometimes 30 minutes or it didn't come.

The inconsistently was consistent...it almost became a joke with us..we learned why italians have the shoulder shrug..

.it's like a coping mechanism..so you don't stress!

In fact, my DH said to me...if we were on a cruise ship right now..I would be freaking out!

Just something for you to keep in mind while planning your adventures!

With all your luggage, I would pay for a 1st class ticket...there is a difference with a couchette space versus just train seats!

I guess some people just have all the luck with trains in Italy.:D I have taken 150+ trains in Italy over many. many years, and have had, overall, an extremely positive experience. A few bumps and grinds and maybe a strike or two but nothing to write home about.

However, I always have a plan 'B' in mind if I'm taking a train. Generally don't need it, but you want it to be there. Take a train from Rome to Civitavecchia on cruise day? You bet! (Besides plans "B" and 'C' aren't that bad.) Take a train from Florence or Pisa on cruise day? Nope! Plan 'B' and 'C' are too expensive!

1 class guarantees you a seat. 2 class guarantees you passage. Do they sell out? Sometimes, worse case is that you stand from point 'A' to point 'B'.

Is there a difference between IC+ and ES? Some, but from my experience, not a lot. I think that luggage spaces are better on ES than IC+. That being said, I'd take the IC+ because it gives you a 1-hr buffer on sail day.

You say that you are traveling with many pieces of luggage (are you alone?) Boarding the train in Pisa, and getting off in Civitavecchia, you will have 3 minutes (maximum) to get on/off. Read my article on trains at www.ftroute.com/fco_rom_civ.htm - in particular the part about luggage.

Did you mean to say, take the ES because of the 1-hr buffer? In all of your train travels in Italy, did you ever have a train sold out? Did you ever prebook your train ticket in advance from the US? I will be in Florence for a couple of nights before heading to Pisa for one night and then on to the port. Do you think I would be safe in purchasing my train ticket from Pisa to the port in Florence?

Sold out occurs only on trains that have reserved seats. No seats, you don't go. Plain and simple. 2nd class without reserved seats it is quite possible that there will be more people than seats. Been there and done that. Have gone Pisa to Rome and vice versa more than once standing up all the way.

Buy your tickets in Firenze. Then it's done with and you don't have to worry. Why change hotels - stay in Florenze and make Pisa a 1/2 day trip. Save the time wasted by switching hotels.

Better yet. Stay in Florence as planned. Go to Pisa but put luggage in the "left luggage" staorage at the station. Spend 2-3 hours in Pisa. Collect luggage and hop a train for Civitavecchia. Spend a relaxing night there knowing that you don't have to worry about train delays and a cruise ship leaving. [my recommended plan of action]

Archived