Windstar/Star Clipper comparison

Xoe

I have loved my Windstar vacations (Wind Star Costa Rica, Wind Spirit Caribbean), and am booked next winter on Wind Surf's southbound Caribbean itinerary.

Looking ahead, if Windstar does not add new winter itineraries, I'll be looking for other ships that will take me to new places.

Star Clipper offers different choices. Have any of you sailed on both Windstar and Star Clipper? I'd appreciate input as to their similarities and differences, and whether this might be a good alternative choice for someone like me who loves the Windstar experience.

(One difference I know I won't like is that their currency is Euros!)

The Royal Clipper offers a much better "sailing" experience than the Windstar ships, if its the sailing part that you like. There is a better connection with the ocean. However, there is also less deck space available on the Royal Clipper as more of the deck is taken up with rigging. I found the mechanization of the WindSpirit sails made it very anti-climatic after sailing the Royal Clipper.

The cabins are more nautical feeling, making Windstar cabins seem more like hotel rooms. They are not large cabins. That's not the point. The cabins with balconies on Royal Clipper are fabulous.

The passengers are more often European than American, and many languages are spoken. Part of the fun of travel, I think.

Entertainment about the same level on both lines. That's not why you sail these lines anyway.

While the Clipper food was very good, it was probably even better on the Spirit. We were on a disasterous WindSurf cruise (from a food point of view) this past January, so for me, the jury is still out for WindSurf. I would certainly never spend money on the WindSurf again, there are too many better products available.

Verrrrry interesting! I also have had doubts about Wind Surf, but lately have seen better reports.

I will definitely consider the Star Clipper (probably Royal Clipper) for my next winter trip. I love the sailing aspect; itinerary is of pivotal importance to me -- new places to experience; and I love to snorkel. Food is a consideration, but not an overriding one.

What are the other choices you refer to as being better than Windstar?

Juat off Wind Surf this morning after two weeks from Babados to Lisbon. It was great. The current chef is fabulous.

Someone once said that Star Clipper is a sandals cruise while Windstar is high heels. Have sailed both and have liked both. Depends on what you are looking for.

I have been and continue to be great Windstar fan.

Well, if it's the SAILING experience you are after, Royal Clipper probably has a leg up. Having said this, on our sail from Barbados, the sails were deployed very

infrequently and "mostly for show". Royal Clipper public spaces are sparse, and

one has little room to find a cozy corner to get away. The cabins are smaller, unless you take one of the 10 or so that have balconies, that are definitely worth

it, if within your budget. These cabins are much superior to Windstar.

Food, though our last sail on Windsurf, was "not up to snuff", is superior on the

ships of Windstar. Food on Royal Clipper was just mediocre.

Yes, the passenger complement was more international on our Royal Clipper

cruise, and most enjoyable.

All in all, I would probably give the nod to Windstar or Windspirit. You have probably been reading the threads about Windsurf, and I would hesitate to

return until I was satisfied these problems have been rectified. We thoroughly

enjoyed our cruise on Windspirit in 2007.

Archived