Rome port to Airport

peabody99

When I booked a flight I hoped 5 hours between the time the ship begins to disembark and our flight is scheduled would be enough time using public transportation. We were planning on taking the train from Civetavecchia train station (near port, train runs every 15 minutes or so, 55 minutes to and hour and 25 minites to Termini Station, then 30 minute train ride to airport-at worst the trip would take 3 hours). The Sinfonia disembarks at 8am and we have a 1pm flight.

So a couple questions:

If we are amoung the first to leave the ship..could be be on our way by 9am? Any prior cruisers have any feed back about how quickly MSC disembarks?

Does MSC have any reasonable shuttles to the airport from the port?

A cab is over $250, which is madness. The key is getting off the ship in a timely manner.

thanks!

I have done 2 MSC's, both out of Genoa. Both times the disembarkation was later rather than early. Forget their airport transfers as the MSC shuttle is chaotic to say the least, very disorganised. I have done Civvy to Rome on other cruise lines 3 or 4 times in the past few years & unfortunately I don't think your plan is achievable in the time available. The train journey can take up to one & a half hours or a good hour by taxi. On arrival you probably need to ‘dump’ your luggage at the train station. The queue (lines) to do this, will probably take another hour of your time at peak holiday periods & then your on your way to the sights. The main sights are very spread out across the City & from one to the other is normally bus &/or subway rides apart. We spent a whole day last year doing just this & were all shattered at the end of the day & too tired see all we intended. We stayed overnight near Rome & I can only advise that this is your best option. Rome is a wonderful city & I’m assuming your from the US, so it would be a shame to miss out after traveling from so far. Regards

thanks for the reply. We are seeing rome-staying overnight -before the cruise. I know it is not enough-but that is all the time we had. So we do need to go directly from the ship to the airport when we return, either via car or trains. I think we will need to find a private shuttle. Then I think we could actually make the 1pm flight. If anyone knows of some good shuttle (fixed fee) companies, thanks for posting. We are returning on a SUnday AM so hopefully things will move along pretty well

Archived