Group Cruising

MadCnty

We were wondering... What are the benefits of "group cruising", other than the obvious??? The price seems to be the same as "normal" cruise fairs, but read somewhere that you recieve shipboard credit :confused: . If this is true, how much, etc. We are thinking about maybe giving this a try. Any help will be much appreciated.

The benefits of booking with a group vary from sailing to sailing. Some do offer shipboard credit while others do not.

The cruiselines set up a kind of point system for ammenities. Some sailings offer more benefits (1 free cruise fare for every 8 cabins) or on other sailings it might be 1 for 16. Whomever the group leader is will work with the travel agent who is booking the group and determine what other ammenties will be passed on to the group such as shipboard credit, group coctail party with open bar, photo credits etc.

Besides the pricing, ammenities, etc..., there is more to consider when booking with a group. One main factor to consider is "who is the Group Leader, and who are my fellow cruisers?"

We just returned from our 4th group cruise, this was the second Cruise Critic "HOUNDS" group, and Pammyhound is honestly one of the best GL's there is. She worked very hard for over a year planning this cruise for us, planned private parties that were a blast, made us all door signs/nametags with lanyards, planned games and prizes, wonderful private excursions, private transportation to the port, etc... We originally all booked at the same resort for our precruise stay, but we ended up changing plans after the hurricane closed the resort. We had weekly chats to get to know each other before we cruised, and all of us were active on our private group board. A couple in our group planned a private Luau party, and Pam and the TA worked with RCI to secure the sundeck/skybar area one evening just for our group. We made tshirts for all of our events, had a door decorating contest, mini golf tournament, raffle with great giveaways, etc... To some, this may seem dorky, but for most of us, it totally enhanced our cruising experience.

Some GL's will do nothing more than just plan the cruise with the TA and that's it. I've seen GL's say that "it's your cruise, I won't tell you what to do", but to me, that just seems lazy (in other words, book the cruise so I can benefit, but I won't do anything for you). If you want a great group cruise, find a great GL. If you are interested in a CC group, you should follow the group board, see if the people are some that you would like to spend a week with, and jump right in!!!

Guest nhrich

If you book directly with the cruise line, you won't normally be considered part of a group. As far as I know, RCI only deals with TA's for groups. As Kristi said, the amenities you get will depend on the number of points available for that sailing and what your group leader works out with your TA.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

Bicker, I was able to use both my coupon, and also a cruiseline discount letter on my last group cruise, no problem. You can also book a guarantee, and hope for an upgrade, or choose your cabin. Another great advantage to large groups is that you can normally reserve your cabin with just $25 down in the beginning, this also holds the low rate for you. I'm telling ya, group cruising is the WAY TO GO. It's a blast, rates are great, ammenities rock, and you can meet tons of new friends from the boards. It's even better than traveling with friends from home, because with CC groups you can spend as much or little time with them, no guilt or obligation.

I do think that Laura encourages and allows all TA's to post their agency name in their signature. I read something about that somewhere. They just can't say "book with me, I'll give you the best rate".

"Cruise professionals, tour operators and travel agents ... are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business. You may not list your phone number, business location, web site address, contact info or e-mail address. Responding to members' inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed."

Just to add on to Sue's comments, (I'm one of the people who have cruised with her) We did our first group cruise in January with her. I will be totally honest, we booked it for the great rates and really had no intention of being with the group (sorry guys). However, I started posting, got invited to chats and really got to know these people. They are great and like family to me. On our last cruise we had 28 states represented.

Another thing, our group leader Pammy (the best in my opinion) didn't just Plan our activities. Things were suggested during chats and posted on our group board. If we wanted to do them Pammy then would book it and get us the rate.

My husband and I don't think we will ever do a non-group cruise because we have made so many friends with the group, get great rates and also get great rates with pre-cruise hotels with them. I think everyone should try it at least once.

Lisa :cool:

I plan group cruises for my church group. Even with the new policy I have been able to secure better than advertised group rates because of the size of the group. I do a lot of pre-planning and preparation and the benefit compared to the work to pull it off is not that great but the benefit of the group dynamic is worth all of the effort.

BTW I plan a decentralized group experience so most of the time the group is free to venture on their own. Most people don't realize how much work it takes to pull of a well decentralized program.

I think a good group leader makes the work look effortless. I haven't gotten there yet.

I agree that some people will just book for the pricing benefit and others want the group atmosphere. I love being able to do things as a group and knowing the people before we go. I still talk almost everyday to one of our fellow cruisers from our first Alaska cruise and we are in fact getting together for our December Cruise. CC is a great place to meet people and to make lasting friends. Whoever thought of CC had the right idea and I'm glad that they offer the opportunity to go group cruises.

Misty

Guest nhrich
"Cruise professionals, tour operators and travel agents ... are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business. You may not list your phone number, business location, web site address, contact info or e-mail address. Responding to members' inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed."

Thanks Bicker...I just saw Bev's post and was going to go in and find that info.

Archived