Grand Turk Dive Video

mcw331

Finally did an edit of our Grand Turk Dive while on the Zuidy last fall.

Because of strong winds for three days before our arrival the visibilty was less than their normally 100+. More like 50-70ft viz. You'll notice all of the floaters in the turtle scene. But still an excellent couple of dives.

Blue Water Divers did a great job and we'll be seeing them again in October.

You'll need quicktime to view.

http://gallery.mac.com/m5mike#100088

good one... that's what you get when you edit 2007 video with your 2008 trip on your mind.

didn't you dive turks a couple of weeks before me last November?

Yes, and in April as well. I have video of my November trip but I've got a PC and the movie maker isn't as nice as the Mac version. :p But you've inspired me, maybe I'll suffer through the interface and put it up soon (I did a circuit around the top of the wall with my camera).

r

scubaran - very cool, thanks for posting the video. It just adds another reason to my growing list of why I should make the leap from snorkeling to scuba.

Hi,

I'd love to take credit for this one but MCW331 did the video, I just commented. :D

Randall

Thanks for posting.....nice video. You've got the same setup as I do.....first test will be in 3 weeks in Cozumel. If you don't mind, what settings did you use and were you using a wide angle lens? I finally decided to retire the old JVC

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

i can't wait to go back and shoot Coz with the new camera. One of my favorite dive spots.

You'll love the HV20/Ikelite combo. I would advise getting in a pool ahead of your trip and getting used to some of the controls. It is actually easier to use in the housing than out because of how Ikelite lays out all of the controls.

For my trip... it was my first dive with the setup so I kept it as simple as possible.

Settings:

HDV 1080 60i

Instant auto focus: OFF

OIS (image stabilization): OFF

AWB (Auto White Balance): ON

Program Mode Tv (shutter priority): 1/100 "I may have left it in auto"

I used the wide angle lense for both dives.

I used the red filter for both dives (i would say use it if you are deeper than 30-40 ft).

I also just used the viewfinder and NOT the LCD screen to save battery and produce less heat (and thus fogging).

Good luck with your shoot and post some footage when you get back.

Thanks Mike.....you even answered the question I forgot to ask.....viewfinder or screen:D Was hoping to hop in the pool this past weekend, but our LDS was out of tanks....maybe this weekend. Figure I'll heat it up to about 81 to simulate Coz's temp. How long were your batteries lasting...could you get in 2 dives?

I have the Ike W/A lens & filter also.

Since our rigs are the same, what type of Mac do you have:p I'm using the last of the G5 IMacs......thought it would be over a year after buying that the Intels would be out when I bought it.....thought wrong! Technology just moves too fast.

Wish I could stay in Coz longer, just 3 days......wife & rest of the family stay the whole week. I hope to get all the camera stuff sorted this trip so I'll be ready for Tahiti in August.

Mike

Thanks Mike.....you even answered the question I forgot to ask.....viewfinder or screen:D Was hoping to hop in the pool this past weekend, but our LDS was out of tanks....maybe this weekend. Figure I'll heat it up to about 81 to simulate Coz's temp. How long were your batteries lasting...could you get in 2 dives?

I have the Ike W/A lens & filter also.

Since our rigs are the same, what type of Mac do you have:p I'm using the last of the G5 IMacs......thought it would be over a year after buying that the Intels would be out when I bought it.....thought wrong! Technology just moves too fast.

Wish I could stay in Coz longer, just 3 days......wife & rest of the family stay the whole week. I hope to get all the camera stuff sorted this trip so I'll be ready for Tahiti in August.

Mike

I definitely got 2 dives off of one battery. 45 minutes of record time (so one tape also). This was nice because I didn't have to open the housing between dives.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of RAM and it does just fine. I'm also able to burn HD DVD's on it to replay on my Tosiba HD DVD player.

#3 days in Coz you'll be able to try diiffent setting. I'm curious to try 1080i P24 cinema mode. Avoid Av (Apeture priority mode) as the camera will adjust the shutter speed on the fly (to acheive the proper exposure) and the video will come out looking weird (from what others have said).

I wish I were getting 3 days of diving in, but it will unfortunately only be 1. My flight time out on Tues is too early to let me dive on Mon & stay within safe limits.

I will probably do one dive at 60 & one in the 24 setting since it is supposed to have much better low light performance. I'm just concerned with it maybe blurring at the lower frame speed. If I do get that 3rd dive in, I'll go with whichever looks better.

I haven't downloaded any footage yet, but when I installed IMovie 08, I had issues with my JVC and it quitting. I reinstalled IMovie HD & downloaded, then imported to '08 for editing......have you had any issues or are you using Final Cut.

Oh, one other thing.....how is the bouyancy in the water? The whole rig is rather heavy on land:eek:

Mike

I reinstalled IMovie HD & downloaded, then imported to '08 for editing......have you had any issues or are you using Final Cut.

Oh, one other thing.....how is the bouyancy in the water? The whole rig is rather heavy on land:eek:

Mike

I do use Final Cut most of the time. But I haven't had any issues with iMovie the few times I used it with the HV20.

The rig has slightly negative bouyancy (do let go of it on a wall dive;) )... but it feels very natural in the water. As you see the foot has lead in it and off course there will be air in the top of the housing so it wants to stand upright on its own.

• 1 month later...

Archived