Anyone been to the Bellavista Cloud Forest in Ecuador?

drfun48

• 3 weeks later...
I would appreciate a first hand account.

I went in March 2005 for 3 days as part of a land vacation that also included Quito, Otavalo, Banos, and some of the countryside outside Quito.

The cloud forest is NOT the same as a rain forest, so don't expect a "jungle" going in. That being said, it was an absolutely beautiful place to visit and very different from the rest of Andean Ecuador. There were hundreds of types of birds, but we did not see much in the form of wildlife other than birds. The flowers and other plants were quite spectacular. The views in general were breathtaking.

I spent most of time hiking because that's what I'm interested in. Trails ranged from flat and straight to very strenuous, including one trail where I had to climb up a few (small) waterfalls. All of the trails were very muddy. There are guides on site that will gladly lead your hikes and explain what you are seeing. Their knowledge is incredibly vast and it's worth the extra cost. There were also guides that would lead specific birdwatching walks (usually short, easy walks) and there were hummingbird feeders all over the area.

I was there with a small group and we stayed in the lodge right in the cloud forest reserve for 2 nights. The accomodations were not as nice as pictured on their website, but they were clean. The rooms (at least at the time) were not heated. There was a space heater in each room, but I remember sleeping in a sweat shirt to stay warm. This might not be an issue if you aren't going in March :) The food was simple, but tasty. I had no complaints about my stay, but I am not used to 4* hotels or fine dining. Nightlife is nonexistant since you are in the middle of nowhere, but there were some naturalist talks or board games to borrow. I was there with a group of friends and we made our own fun. It's worth it to go to bed early so you can be up first thing in the morning!

I understand you can do this as a daytrip, but I would highly recommend staying at least one night. Sunrise/sunset are unbelievable and it's really something to wake up to the sounds of the many birds. There were some narrow mountain roads getting there from Quito (and at times it was a little bumpy), so I would recommend arranging for transport of some sort instead of driving yourself. You'll want to watch out the window the whole way anyway! The whole area is just beautiful.

As you can tell, I loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there are so many other places I'd like to go that I'm afraid it might be awhile:rolleyes:

The attached picture is the view from the cloud forest.

view.jpg.631bf406f02bfef79ff93ba3143aea94.jpg

And some more pictures...

First there is a picture of one of the easy trails. Nice for a walk, though the scenery is pretty much the same as if you stayed near the lodge area.

f3yz28.jpg

And then a more difficult hike. If you are physically able, I recommend taking as many long, strenuous hikes as possible because the deeper into the forest you go, the more unique things you see. That is me and the guide (I can't remember his name for the life of me but he was fantastic!)

33jso06.jpg

One of our hikes was during the pouring rain and we ended up pretty wet. I am on the far left with our guide next to me and some of my group to his right. The rest didn't want to hike in the rain and opted to stay dry in the lodge :) Rainboots were available to borrow at the lodge, but if you go be sure to pack a better raincoat than I did!

2i8iw3t.jpg

And just one of the many gorgeous flowers we saw during our visit.

33vf5va.jpg

Everyone has helped me so much in planning my first cruise that I'm happy to help if you have any more questions.

And some more pictures...

First there is a picture of one of the easy trails. Nice for a walk, though the scenery is pretty much the same as if you stayed near the lodge area.

f3yz28.jpg

And then a more difficult hike. If you are physically able, I recommend taking as many long, strenuous hikes as possible because the deeper into the forest you go, the more unique things you see. That is me and the guide (I can't remember his name for the life of me but he was fantastic!)

33jso06.jpg

One of our hikes was during the pouring rain and we ended up pretty wet. I am on the far left with our guide next to me and some of my group to his right. The rest didn't want to hike in the rain and opted to stay dry in the lodge :) Rainboots were available to borrow at the lodge, but if you go be sure to pack a better raincoat than I did!

2i8iw3t.jpg

And just one of the many gorgeous flowers we saw during our visit.

33vf5va.jpg

Everyone has helped me so much in planning my first cruise that I'm happy to help if you have any more questions.

Thanks so much for your input.

I've gone on the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos twice before and the 10 day package includes a day tour of Quito---having done the city tour 2x I was looking for something different when I return a third time.

Your pictures and description have sealed the deal. I'll get an early start and use a guide to get the most of the experience---the whole family is into birding. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your input.

I've gone on the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos twice before and the 10 day package includes a day tour of Quito---having done the city tour 2x I was looking for something different when I return a third time.

Your pictures and description have sealed the deal. I'll get an early start and use a guide to get the most of the experience---the whole family is into birding. Thanks again.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Archived