Amsterdam airport to cruise dock

SandyR5

Hi - Just booked Amadeus Tulip Time for 4/09. We will book the air on our own. We could buy transfers from Amadeus, but I was wondering if anyone has experience getting to the dock from the airport and what would the cost was. I would assume a taxi would take us but does anyone know the cost? Thanks. :rolleyes:

A car will cost atound E. 35.- / 40.- to the terminal.

But depending how many ships there are in port, 3 different places are used for this. So find out what location you have to go.

Most of the times ships dock just east of Centraal Station, but west of the station is also used.

If no big cruise-ships are in port sometimes this terminal is used too.

Some friends of ours (4 in the group) got a cab from the river boat to the airport and the charge was $100 Euros! Don't know if that was because there were 4 of them or not. The train station is within walking distance to the dock (that is, if you don't have several pieces of luggage with you) if you are into catching the train from the airport.

Bitzy Cole

Hmmm.., never thought of the train. Could be an experience! :rolleyes: Amadeus wants $90 per person round trip to/from dock to airport. My "problem" is not the price but that we hate to have to wait for a transfer bus to fill up before getting to the ship. Once we've arrived we want to get down to sightseeing...we don't want to sit on a bus for an hour at the airport. :confused: I'm also concerned with finding out if the ship will accept our luggage so we can sightsee.

http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

I think this is only about 12 euro pp and it is very relaible. For more info on other transfers go to the Schiphol Airport web site.DH and I have used the shuttle in the past and it was great.We have also taken a private transfer from our hotel to the airport early AM and it was 40 euro for both of us in a very nice Mercedes.Our ship the Avalon Tranquility docked within easy walking distance to Central Station last summer.

Hi, I just returned from a cruise that ended in Amsterdam and we spent 4 additional days on our own. We took a taxi from the ship to our hotel and were ripped off for 20E. The driver did not have a meter. Be careful and always ask if they have a meter. Since it was the end of our trip and we were ladened down with purchases, we decided to take a taxi from the hotel to the airport and paid 35E. We asked the driver before what the approx price would be. Our hotel was not that far from the dock, so I'm guessing no more than 35-40E. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I would love to spend more time in Amsterdam and the surrounding environs.

Thank you both for your replies. That shuttle looks perfect! At the end of the cruise we'll probably take a taxi and be sure to check the price. Any "must do" things you did on your pre cruise stay?

I am sorry to agree that cabdrivers near the cruise-terminal sometimes (or maybe even often...) overcharge. I know this happened last year.

There is a new regulation since a few months regarding cabdrivers, which means short(er) drives have become more expensive, while longer drives (airport etc.) are lower then they used before.

They are allowed an aditional amount if they have to wait for you (when picking up) and also to put luggage into/from the car.

Indeed either check your rate before, but regular cabs need to have a meter.

The cabs in front of Centraal Station now have to have a special permit to be there and they arenot allowed to refuse short drives.

Unfortunately there are some "cowboy"cabdrivers around. From the airport take the regular cabs outside, not those that offer their service inside the terminal.

Train connection to Centraal Station is very good, but you have to carry your luggage yourself into/from the train. Also stay with it, donot leave it unattended.

• 1 month later...

We took a train to the Central Station as our hotel was right by the station. The pier is a 10 minute walk from the station, but lots of cobblestones and bicyclists in your path. The taxi drivers charge a flat rate of 15 Euros from the local hotels to the pier. The tour director on the Amadagio called taxis for us to get from the pier to the airport - it was a special rate of 35 Euros a taxi (not per person). The people who took taxis from the airport to the ship paid between 40 and 50 Euros per taxi.

The train is easy, as the entrance is in the airport terminal. There is an elevator to get you to the station, but you have to lift the luggage across the gap into the train and then go up a few steps into the train compartment - not too easy with luggage.

Would people be so kind as to provide some names of the airport to terminal transfer companies?

Thanks!

If you know your exact location (which cruise-dock etc) you can prebook a cab through the airport website:

http://www.schipholservice.biz/indexeng.html

If you donot have much luggage train is convenient too.

The train station is about a block from the pier, and the train goes directly to the airport. If you have luggage with wheels, it is no problems. I managed with two suitcases, two carry-on bags, and a husband in a wheelchair! Much, much more reasonable than a shuttle or taxi.

Hi - Just booked Amadeus Tulip Time for 4/09. We will book the air on our own. We could buy transfers from Amadeus, but I was wondering if anyone has experience getting to the dock from the airport and what would the cost was. I would assume a taxi would take us but does anyone know the cost? Thanks. :rolleyes:

SandyR5 - Which sailing are you on?

We just booked the April 25 sailing.

I have used this wonderful service several times - www.viator.com. This past October it was in Hanoi. There was a person there with a sign to welcome me and a very nice vehicle for transporation. An advantage is that the fare is prepaid by credit card so you don't have to worry about exchanging money right away.

Archived