Tulip Time - Day of arrival question

SandyR5

Hi everyone - We just booked for next April, but we're excited and have a few questions. We'll book our own air and I know the flights arrive in the morning. I would assume you can board after noon, like cruise ships. Is this correct? What suggestions do you have for walking around the area that arrival day? Thanks. I know we have an entire year to plan, but the more we learn, the better the planning. :D

We are taking our cruise with Avalon and have been told that we will not be boarding until 3:30 ... I'm sure it depends on which cruise line you are with.

Often there are optional tours that can be arranged for those who arrive before boarding time.

I don't know what other river cruise lines allow, but on the morning of embarkation for our Viking Tulips & Windmills cruise, we were able to drop off our luggage at the ship and then go sightseeing.

We will be leaving our baggage at the designated 'meeting hotel' and from there Avalon will transport it to the ship and supposedly have it in our cabin by the time we arrive. I'll let you know how it goes. This time next week we should be on our way!!! Can't wait!!!

Here's how it went for me this week. I am on Avalon.

We went to the pre-cruise meeting hotel (which was the Crowne Plaza). They collected our luggage and held on to it and offered an option (for a fee) morning tour to the Van Gogh museum. Those who went to Van Gogh left at roughly 10:30 am and returned at roughly 1 pm.

Those who didn't go could wait in the room at the Crown Plaza (conference room, there was cookies, coffee, water- no real food).

Then they offered an optional (for a fee) afternoon tour as well. Those who didn't go on the afternoon tour left for the ship around 2 or 3 o clock I believe.

THose of us who went on the afternoon tour (which took you to an outdoor museum where you saw wooden clogs being made, cheese being made, climbed up a windmill, etc), went on the tour and after the topur we were delivered to the ship where our bags were waiting for us in the cabins (maybe it was like 5 or 6 pm thatw e arrived at the ship).

The ship stayed in Amsterdam the first night so we had dinner on board and then headed out to the red light district to "see" what that was all about.

Hope this info is helpful in your planning....

Thanks for the update! Our plane is to arrive in Amsterdam at 9:10 ... so I don't know if we will get through customs and immigration in time to be at the hotel by 10:30 ... we bought transfers (as we used frequent flier miles for the airfare) so someone from Avalon is to meet us at the airport.

I have cleared of all of the chips for my camera, have the batteries charged up and am ready to see all the sights.

Gina, please enjoy the rest of your trip. You have been such a great help to those of us headed on our river cruises. :D

Hi Pat,

I am glad I could be of some help. You may actually make the Van Gogh tour... if you land on time. Customs here is VERY fast and simple - no waiting at all really (very unlike the US). You never know.

I know the bus that took us to Van Gogh was the bus that had just come from dropping people at the airport. If you are really interested in going to the Van Gogh museum, mention it to your bus driver when they pick you up at the airport and they can see if it will still be possible. You never know. We were suppose to leave at 10:30 am, but we never left the crown plaza until almost 11 am becausee the bus got caught in traffic.

I really lked the Van Gogh museum, although I would have liked a little more time there.. it felt a little rushed. If you are staying after the cruise in Amsterdam you may want to simply do it on your own anyway.

Have a wonderful trip...

Gina

Thanks for that great information. I would think all the cruiselines have similar arrangements. Just to make sure I'm right...you arrived "day of" cruise but they took you to the pre-cruise hotel to wait...correct? :rolleyes:

Last summer for our Avalon cruise we were in Budapset a few days early. We checked out of our hotel at 11:00 AM and walked 3 blocks over to the meeting place,checked in,left our luggage and met our cruise director.We than took off on our own to explore the area.We were told to be back by 3:30 for the transfer to the ship. We walked to the Chain Bridge where there was a festival going on and spent the time there until it was time to go back to the Hotel for our transfer to the ship.We made it back on time and than 4 busses came to transfer all of us to the ship. The check in at the ship was very smooth and our luggage was brought to our cabin immediately.We explored the ship,had a cocktail and went to our cabin to prepare for dinner.After a lovely dinner we left the ship to do some more walking around on Vaci Ute the main shopping area. We went back to the ship by 9:00 PM and relaxed on the top deck with some wine we had purchaesd at local shop. The ship remained docked over night and the next morning was our included city tour.We had the afternoon free again to enjoy our last day in Budapest.All aboard was around 5PM I think and than we set sail and said goodby to Budapest.What a beautiful city!!!.The remainder of our cruise was absolutely wonderful.

This will give some idea to those that are sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam with Avalon. I imagine that in every departure port it is pretty much the same thing or close.

Archived