Caribbean cruise clothes

anderj

I am laying out my clothes in the spare room in preparation for a [font='Times New Roman']Caribbean cruise next month. I have cotton tops and trousers and a party dress and I wonder if I need a couple of warmer layers, does it get cool ever, perhaps in the evening on deck? If so what should I take, somehow a cardi does not seem right! [/font]

thanks jean

You didn't say exactly where you were going, but the average temp in St. Thomas for the month of November is 74 to 87. I don't think you need to worry about warm layers with those temps. And further south, it is even warmer. The only cool weather I'be be concerned with would be on the ship. Everyone told me (including these boards) that I would freeze in the dining room so be sure and take a wrap. Well, I did, but I never got cold in the dining room - which is weird because I'm one of those people that is always freezing. The only time I was chilly was on the first sea day when we were walking around the ship waiting for our cabins to be ready, and the last day waiting to disembark. Evenings on the deck were never chilly - always warm. If you really are worried about it, then take one light jacket - provided you have room. Have fun, whatever you wear. :)

I went on a western Carib cruise. It was November and I ended up wearing my long sleve sweater I had worn down from Michigan most nights and the last couple days. My husband and a large number of cruisers were wearing winter coats the last couple days. The only two people tanning the last day was myself and a lady from Canadia.

I had a whole suitcase full of the above. When I packed them for the next cruise they still had price tags on:) Yes, this only happened on one of my two November cruise but, I still pack some long sleves and sweater too. The dinning room and lounges seem to be keep cool. Lots of ladies bring their cardi.

Have a great cruise.

I always pack two very light shaws for every cruise, spring, winter or fall, as the dining room can sometimes be cool when the air conditioner is kicked up. In fact, on a celebrity cruise two years ago the inside of the ship was at least 15 degrees cooler than the outside deck most of the time - so I wore my shaw inside and took it off to stroll the deck at night.

Living in Ohio, I've always found it best to layer clothing when traveling from
home to the port city - that way, I'm not taking up luggage space with extra jacket or sweater - and have the lightweight jacket and sweater to layer back on for the trip back to Ohio at cruise end.

We sailed over Thanksgiving last year to the Western Caribbean and the first and last day out (of Galveston) was chilly. I had only taken shorts and shirts and one sweat shirt and a pair of khaki pants I wore to board in. This year, we are again leaving out of Galveston in early December and I am taking sweats and long pants for the first and last days out. The ports were nice and warm and shorts were perfect. We even went snorkeling in Cozumel as it was in the upper 80's. Belize was hot and humid on Thanksgiving Day. However, the closer we were to Galveston, the cooler it was. Good luck!!

Last Dec we had a cold wave in FL just before our cruise. It was windy also. All we needed was a light sweater on the ship (outside) and once we left port it was nice and warm. I find the a/c on the ships inconsistent so I bring along a linen wrap and a very lightweight wool wrap. I also plan outfits with jackets that can be worn or not depending on the temp. of the a/c. You rarely need anything really warm.

[font='Times New Roman']Thanks; all the info that has been shared has been really helpful! I think I will be fine with a couple of extra items, i.e. an evening wrap and light neutral linen jacket, and to travel in layers that I can wear later if need be. I am flying out to Barbados so limited on weight. Need to carry enough outfits for 2 weeks, a bit of a challenge! [/font]
[font='Times New Roman']jean[/font]

Archived