Questions about Norwegian Spirit

negc

We will be part of a group sailing on the Spirit from Boston to Bermuda on May 8, 2009 and were wondering which of the restaurants require an additional tariff and how much that extra charge is per person?

The ship looks like it is beautiful and for some in our group this will be their very first cruise.:) Most have outside staterooms with verandahs on Decks 9 and 10. Any pluses or minuses to any of these rooms? Thanks in advance for your info and comments.

The restaurants with the extra fees are Cagney's steakhouse $20.00 p/person(the filet mignon was very good), Le Bistro (french), Teppanyaki in Shogun (asian) They cook at your table. These restuarants are 10 or 15 dollars a person.

The first night that you are on the ship you will get a coupon for a buy 1 get 1 free. Try to book the steakhouse as you can save the most money there if you plan on eating there. When on board you can book restaurants up to 2 days in advance.

Raffles is open almost 24 hours a day buffet style with pretty good food.

I had an inside room so cannot comment on the balcony rooms

We will be part of a group sailing on the Spirit from Boston to Bermuda on May 8, 2009 and were wondering which of the restaurants require an additional tariff and how much that extra charge is per person?

The ship looks like it is beautiful and for some in our group this will be their very first cruise.:) Most have outside staterooms with verandahs on Decks 9 and 10. Any pluses or minuses to any of these rooms? Thanks in advance for your info and comments.

My wife and I had a ninth floor balcony. She basically lived out there, so it is a plus. Let's see there were some restaurants with tariffs. The only one I remember was Cagney's. Great food. Back to the balcony room. The bathroom was bigger than the ones on the Dawn. The ship is nice. If you like to buy tacky crap -- hey, I do -- they sell watchs and cheap and expensive jewelry on the at sea days. I bought a watch and it still keeps time. Yes, people want to take your picture all the time. Let them. Have fun with it. You are not required to buy these pictures. If you're famous, just wear a wig and sunglasses and still have fun with it.

Advice? Sure. If you drink wine buy it by the bottle. If you drink beer, buy it by the six-pack. It will save you money. The beer they bring to you in an iced down bucket.

Be careful of art auctions. You will spend lots of money. Did one of those on HAL and spent over two grand on pictures. Oh well.

Make sure you go to the meet and greets. If you are a Lattitudes member, make sure that your room key has it's proper designation like Bronze, Silver or Gold. If not, straighten it out with the people at the desk. That way you are invited to the meet and greet and may win a cruise. Learned that one the hard way. They didn't have ours right and we missed the meet and greet and the chance for a cruise. So maybe Karma will pay me back this cruise.

The Windows dining room has a no-shorts policy. Garden doesn't.

Both serve nice food and the same food.

Also sign up for membership in cruisecritic if you haven't done so already. It is nice to know people by the time you get on the cruise. Plus they have their own meet and greets as well.

You will enjoy your cruise and the ship.

Da Bear

The previous response addressed your questions about charges for the restaurants....we did eat at 2 of the speciality restaurants (Teppanaki and LeBistro) and both were very good and worth the extra cover. We also found both main dining rooms to range from good to very good. The portions are small (actually just normal but small compared to what Americans are used to in our restaurants!) so order something from each category (appetizer, soup/salad, entree and dessert) and you will be very satisfied. It also makes your dining experience much nicer to enjoy the 4 courses. The wait staff is also happy to get you more than 1 in any category so if there are 2 appetizers you want to try - go ahead and do it! IMO you could easily find enough variety to eat all week without going to the speciality restaurants but we found they added a nice touch to our trip.

We had a balcony room on Deck 10 on the starboard side about mid ship and it was great. We loved it for sailing in and out of NYC - great views! Plus we used it a lot in the morning for coffee and evening for drinks and I napped on it one day in the sun! I think I'm spoiled for a balcony room from now on! :D

Enjoy!

Karen

Now, if you want to save money and get an inside cabin, that's fine. You can always find a deck chase and park on it and read. However, that little tiny balcony does offer a modecum of privacy that deck chairs just don't. Like I said, the wife loved it. It was a bit small for my comfort level so I didn't go out there but a few times and even then I must say it was relaxing.

Da Bear

Thanks for the valuable information. I will pass your comments and suggestions along to the newbies. I know that we will enjoy our balcony stateroom on Deck 10 and am sure that those on Deck 9 will be equally pleased. :)

I must correct my earlier post. My wife informed me that the coupon for dinner came from travelocity when we booked the cruise and it had to be used on the first day.

On the first night, you still can get half off without the coupon if you are willing to dine at a certain time. 5:30-6:30pm comes to mind. The coupon does all you to still get half off but you can make the reservation for any time.

Dave

also, after 5:30...it's no shorts in any of the dining rooms (buffet is OK),

windows is "no jeans" and the gardens allow nice jeans, as do the other dining venues.

deck 9 balconies are nice, we had 9636..port side between the mid and aft elevators.

another hint, if you go to the buffet area...it's not a "stand in line and follow" type dining. it's actions stations...with (for dinner) carved meats, made-to-order pasta, made-to-order ceasar salalds. the veggies and soups, on both side..may be the same, but the actions stations won't be.

652499812_Roomasyouenter.jpg.25a8213f468f3a918086c376ed3bce06.jpg

I lurk here more than I post and my favorite poster to read is you. I find all of your posts to be right on and very informative. I may skim by other posters but when I see a Toyz711 post I always stop and read.

Thank you!

Okay. Here are a few tips for you: Bring one of those shoe bags that hang over the door and put it in the bathroom. It will hold deoderant, toothpaste, mouthwash, sunscreen, bug spray, chapstick, shaving cream, etc. etc..

Also bring a stickup bathroom deorizer and a stickon toothbrush holder.

Dave, good to see ya pop in on this one.

Da Bear

Archived