SeaLife Center encounter

mdeane

If you have visited the SeaLife Center, could you share with me if the special tours at the Center in Seward would be exciting for our grandchildren ages 12 and 15 as well our ourselves? We are considering the Octopus Experience, the Puffin Encounter and Behind the Scenes. Would you also please give us an over view of the event. Thanks.

If you have visited the SeaLife Center, could you share with me if the special tours at the Center in Seward would be exciting for our grandchildren ages 12 and 15 as well our ourselves? We are considering the Octopus Experience, the Puffin Encounter and Behind the Scenes. Would you also please give us an over view of the event. Thanks.

We did the Behind the Scenes tour and found it very interesting. Not sure if your 2 grandchildren would like it tho. You go in the back rooms where they keep the tanks and you can see into the displays from there. The tour guide takes some time explaining how they set the displays up and shows you the inner workings of how they get the ocean water and keep it the proper temperatures, etc. You also get to go in the back holding tanks where they keep the seals and otters, which is fun. I guess it really depends on what kind of attention span they have and whether they are interested in marine biology.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm responding pretty late, but I was searching back through and thought I'd respond. I did the puffin encounter at the sealife center. It was amazing.

As a summary. First, a volunteer talked a lot about the puffins, told us a lot about them, what they do with the eggs there +

Then, we were brought into the main puffin room (where others can see you) and we got to feed them. It really was AMAZING.

Here's an part from my review:

After lunch, we headed over to the Sealife center and signed in and got our tags for the Puffin encounter. It was great. A nice lady showed us around, told us about the birds, and then we got to feed the puffins—they were so cute! One was more interested in eating DM’s pants, but he was adorable! A great experience and lots of great information. A lot of the center is for rehabilitation and they ended up building the place with money from a fine for an oil spill. It’s a great stop if you have time. Just as we were getting ready to leave, there was an announcement of an eagle fishing at the back look-out. So, we went up there and got some great pictures of him flying and having dinner!

Archived