Crusing the med - July too hot?

Travelalot2

We cruised the med in June, 2005 in and out of Barcelona. I found that time was a little cool in most ports (no shorts - capris and light jacket), plus, cool on the ship on the deck during sea days. In Barcelona, there was no activity at the beach. We are considering another med cruise next year and are looking at July 9th - July 21st (Venice - Barcelona). However, my DH is concerned it's going to be blistering hot at that time. Although we can't predict the weather, I'm curious to hear from others who cruised the med in July and their thoughts on the weather both on the ship and in ports.

When we did the Venice to Barcelona cruise in June of 2005 they were having record breaking high temperatures in every port we went to. We are from Las Vegas, so a little heat doesn't get to us much, but the weather on that cruise was stifling. It was nearly 100 degrees F in Rome....something like the highest high they have ever had....ever! Despite that we had a wonderful time.:)

I can't imagine July being any worse than that! :D

We did Med in July 2005 and July 2007. There was no getting around it, hot both times. Now, I don't really mind heat so I didn't really wilt with the extreme temperatures at some of the excursion sites. But I sure was glad to take water with us and for Celebrity welcoming us back to the ship with cold towels.

Faye

Well, even if June is cool it sure beats the heat of July the last couple of years. After all, you can always put on a sweater or windbreaker, but there is a limit as to how much clothing you can take off!!!:D If I had a choice, I would go in September or October, which we have done twice.

For historical weather data on most major ports, go to www.wunderground.com and click on "Trip Planner" (on the FEATURES bar) then enter the port and the dates you are interested in (two week range at a time).

You will get 10-12 years of historical data, year by year and day by day, for:

TEMPERATURE (highs, averages and lows);

DEW POINT;

HUMIDITY;

SEA LEVEL PRESSURE;

VISIBILITY;

WIND;

GUST SPEED;

PRECIPITATION;

WEATHER EVENTS and more.

This is one of my favourite websites when I am selecting dates for any itinerary.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were in the Med in July and it was HOT, We are from the midwest and not used to humid heat. I agree that the water and the cool towels were wonderful. Take a water bottle holder to hook onto your tote or camera bag. I had a fan mister that was really nice, think I got it at a dept. store in town.Ran on batteries.

We did Millie Venice in June as well, a few years ago. Very Very hot, on June 24th Rome was 104F my wife was nearly flaking out, had to get back to ship early. We would never travel Med in June/July/Aug again.

We were in the Med in July and it was HOT, We are from the midwest and not used to humid heat.

Hi pattyj 1204. Actually, the air in the Med in summer is very dry, which makes it more or less barable. But the temperatures keep rising every year, last week in Athens it was already 92 °F.

Well, even if June is cool it sure beats the heat of July the last couple of years. After all, you can always put on a sweater or windbreaker, but there is a limit as to how much clothing you can take off!!!:D If I had a choice, I would go in September or October, which we have done twice.

September/October: Should one assume that these months are better than April/May for warmer weather?

What about May 22nd - June 3rd? Too early to be on a ship and out on the deck on sea days without being cold?

Absolutely not. At that time it can already be pretty hot in the Med. Always keep in mind that the Islands (especially in the Aegean sea) are always a bit cooler and more windy than the main land.

We always cruise during July/August due to my wife's school district calendar...

Sure it's hotter during those months...but it is not "unbearable" as some would have you think...

We happen to live in Southern California...and the climate in most of the Mediterranean is virtually identical to Southern California, so it makes little difference to us...Being near the sea rather than inland means things are a little more temperate...Of course, when you get away from the water (to Florence for example) it gets a little hotter...

But, unlike that sweltering humid heat you get in places like the eastern US, it's a very dry heat...zero chance of rainfall, relatively low humidity...

Just as we might at home, we carry bottled water, sunscreen and a hat...I always pack an insulated water bottle and fill it with ice/water before leaving the ship in the morning...

Archived