Car Rental Agency At San Pedro Cruise Terminal ?

Arlenedow

We will be driving from Carlsbad, Ca to San Pedro and wonder if there is a rental car agency at the terminal where we can drop the car? What company is it? I've searched on the web but can't find anything for San Pedro.

Thanks,

Arlene

The only car rental agency near the San Pedro cruise terminal is Enterprise. They are across the street. Be sure to check their hours as they have limited weekend hours. And you might want to make sure they can accept your car if rented from another location.

The Enterprise office at San Pedro is now located next door to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. You can rent the car at LAX and drop it at San Pedro for a 25 dollar drop off fee. If the office is closed you can simply drop the keys into a box in the hotel lobby. They have marked several parking places as Enterprise only so it is very easy to use. But...be forewarned....if you rent a GPS unit like we did (which we found invaluable), there is a 65 dollar drop off fee for it in addition to the 25 dollar fee.

Needless to say, I carried the GPS back to the airport the next morning and drove the car back to San Pedro. It really wasnt that big of a deal. It took about an hour or so. But they really need to drop that outrageous fee.

San Pedro is a very easy place to navigate. There isnt a lot of traffic and the streets laid out in an easy manner to navigate.

Western Avenue is just to the north of the Crowne Plaza and has many restaurants and grocery stores.

The Crowne Plaza lies between 6th and 7th streets very near the harbor.

We drove across the bridge....dont be intimidated by it. You can easily turn around after you cross it and come right back to San Pedro. There are some amazing views of the shipyards and container yards from the bridge.

I asked for a room with a view of the ship dock and got a great one. We woke up and there was the NCL Star waiting on us.

I got the room for 70 bucks plus tax on Priceline. It was well worth it. You can catch a hotel or rental car shuttle to the pier which is only a few blocks away.

With a little planning, the trip from LAX to San Pedro and then to the boat is very easy to do and was actually a lot of fun.

No need to go all the way to Western Ave for food. If you are staying at the Crowne Plaza you will find an array of fine restaurants, a liquor store and a fine wine shop within walking distance.

For the most part getting around San pedro is easy but if you find yourself on Gaffey or Western Ave between the hours of 3pm and 6pm do expect to hit some traffic. If you are not going to be in San Pedro long you'll find all you really need downtown.

If the OP can't use Enterprise for some reason, the next best option is dropping off the car at Long Beach Airport (LGB) or John Wayne (SNA). All the major car companies are there, although their office may not be open late night or early morning. Then take an airport shuttle to the ship. Some rental car companies may have off-airport locations in downtown Long Beach or Torrance; both are near the cruise ports and cab fare shouldn't be too expensive.

One caution about traffic- I-5 and I-405 get very congested in spots. If you start from Carlsbad between 830am and 130pm or after 6pm you should be OK. The Hwy 73 toll road is expensive but a big timesaver if you're running late.

• 5 years later...

I'm getting off one cruise on Nov. 15, renting a car in San Pedro (I hope), and then returning it to San Pedro for another cruise on Nov. 21. I'm hoping they will pick me up at the pier and return me there.

I unable to e-mail them online today ... something funny about the pickup location (even LAX wouldn't work). Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm sure it is, but I'll try phoning them tomorrow to confirm.

Marie

You should probably mention the rental agency(ies) that you're talking about. I don't think any will pick you up at the port so you may want to think about a taxi.

What some people will do when taking a cruise/returning a rental (after double checking on days and times as weekend hours may be short or non-existent for some offices) is to drop off the other members of your party and all the luggage at the berth, then return the car to the agency and grab a taxi back to the pier.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know why, but I have the impression that Enterprise is the only one serving the area. I'm going to call them tomorrow as I had trouble trying to e-mail from their website today.

As I'm a party of one (the only way to go unless one must take a partner along), it shouldn't be a problem if I have to take a cab to their agency.

I think I'll be renting the car in San Pedro on Nov. 15 (a weekday) and returning it there on the 21st (another weekday), both times around noon, and so opening hours shouldn't be a problem.

See you aboard!

Marie

I have never had a good experience with Enterprise so now book with others like Avis in downtown Long Beach and I suspect all the others are there as well. However, you are about a $20/$25 cab ride back to the cruise terminal in San Pedro.

I have never had a good experience with Enterprise so now book with others like Avis in downtown Long Beach and I suspect all the others are there as well. However, you are about a $20/$25 cab ride back to the cruise terminal in San Pedro.

What were your bad experiences? We used them once and service was good.

How do you all get those past and future cruises, fancy lettering, photos, etc., in your postings? I went to User CP, and all could add was my photo in my profile. But, it doesn't appear in my postings. Mind you, it does take a while to scroll down through some of your long lists! Still, my postings look so bare!

Marie

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving to all in Canada!

We are going to do a one way from Phoenix to San Pedro or Long Beach. Does anyone know if Enterprise is the only rental in San Pedro. If I have to drop in Long Beach at the Airport, what will it cost me to get back to San Pedro. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Coasty

Yes, Enterprise is the only company with an office in San Pedro currently. You will do best to drop off at the Long Beach Airport (after dropping your luggage and passengers at the pier) and then taking a shuttle back to the port.

I assume you are renting a car to return home at the end of your trip too, so you would reverse this process to rent a car at Long Beach Airport, then go back to the pier and pick up the rest of your group and luggage.

I checked and the price was outrageous:eek: from the L.B. Airport back to the pier.

So I have decided to drop the car at LAX and then take SuperShuttle back to the Crowne Plaza for $17. Also the drop charge at Enterprise in San Pedro was out of line. We have decided to rent from Hertz and saved about $60 over the others.

• 3 years later...

Yes

There are a few car rental places in the tourist area of Long Beach. IIRC Enterprise and Avis. Don't know if after all is said and done what would be cheaper.

Hertz has an office near the Long Beach Port on Ocean Ave. They will drop you off at the cruise terminal and pick up. Make sure you book the correct location. You will have to pay a drop off fee, I think it's $25 - $35

We are going to do a one way from Phoenix to San Pedro or Long Beach. Does anyone know if Enterprise is the only rental in San Pedro. If I have to drop in Long Beach at the Airport, what will it cost me to get back to San Pedro. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.