Do You Really Want to Cruise With 5000 Others?

Considering that the ship is being designed and built by RCI whom I consider one of the best when it comes to cruise lines, yes I will try it and am looking forward to it. There is going to be an outer promenade deck according to Akerbuilder and it can be seen from the construction photos. It is way too early to tell if there will be a helipad or not. RCI has also kept the upper decks as a white out so that you can not tell what they will look like. They will not have any problems filling up these two ships and I see more down the road.

The big question for me is not RCI but Pt. Everglades getting their act together. I guess we will see come next year.

OK. One thing I have to say. My concern would not be tendering and docking. RCI has that down to a T. The only time that might be an issue is on disembarkation day or immigration.

The problem I foresee is that Port Everglades will not be ready. Genesis is supposed to dock on 25 (currently the Navigator). 24 and 25 will be merged as far as I know. So Genesis will be sitting on 24/25. 23 will be eliminated and 21/22 will be merged. The problem will be, as it is with the Navigator right now, if the Genesis docks on 24/25 and another ship docks on 21/22.

But that is a port issue.

And I doubt that Genesis will be crowded. RCI already has a very high passenger/space ratio and Genesis is supposed to be in the top as well (in the 40s).

If people shy away from Genesis because of tendering/docking and passenger/space ratio that should not be a reason.

PORT EVERGLADES

port-map.jpg

That's all I have been saying all along. It's nice that RCCL has so many choices to keep everyone happy.

It's not a contest. And believe me, I didn't post this thread in "critterville" you are welcome to check my posting history. ;) It's just that there are many CRUISERS who are happy to sail on Genesis. It doesn't make them a different class from you. I keep seeing the "Vacationer" verses the "Cruiser" terms being thrown around.

Why does there need to be separate classes of "us" verses "them" all of a sudden? We are all out for one thing, to be on a ship. We just happen to be on a bigger ship.

Happy sailing. :D

Hey Michelle, don't worry about it. Some of us get it and some don't. Some get the concept. Some get that in the evening that Central Park will come alive with music, great outdoor dining, great conversation with pre-dinner drinks. During the day when one doesn't want to be in the sun or inside the ship they can find a nice quite place to sit and read a book among a tropical setting of plants and trees. Some don't get that in place of booking a cabin with four dark walls they now have the option of booking a cabin that will have a view. Some don't understand that the ship will still have 8 decks of balcony cabins with views of the sea. So for the ones that don't like or don't get it, that's fine. Let them book that ship that turns their crank.:eek: The rest of us will book the Genesis and have a great time. Simple as that. She is not for everyone.;)

OK. One thing I have to say. My concern would not be tendering and docking. RCI has that down to a T. The only time that might be an issue is on disembarkation day or immigration.

The problem I foresee is that Port Everglades will not be ready. Genesis is supposed to dock on 25 (currently the Navigator). 24 and 25 will be merged as far as I know. So Genesis will be sitting on 24/25. 23 will be eliminated and 21/22 will be merged. The problem will be, as it is with the Navigator right now, if the Genesis docks on 24/25 and another ship docks on 21/22.

But that is a port issue.

And I doubt that Genesis will be crowded. RCI already has a very high passenger/space ratio and Genesis is supposed to be in the top as well (in the 40s).

If people shy away from Genesis because of tendering/docking and passenger/space ratio that should not be a reason.

PORT EVERGLADES

port-map.jpg

Genesis class ships will NOT occupy the above....Terminal 18 is the designated terminal.

Port Everglades agreed to a $37.4 million expansion of Terminal 18 to accommodate the new 220,000-ton ships, which will be 40 percent bigger than the Royal's Freedom-class vessels. Royal Caribbean will reimburse the port for the expansion over time.

Indeed, the Genesis ships are slated to be so large they can't dock at many ports and will often require special accommodations at those they do visit.

Jamaica plans to build a new port of call for the Genesis project rather than enlarge its existing facilities. The government of Haiti and Royal Caribbean agreed in February to build a $27-million pier in Labadee to accommodate the giant Genesis ships.

Genesis class ships will NOT occupy the above....Terminal 18 is the designated terminal.

Port Everglades agreed to a $37.4 million expansion of Terminal 18 to accommodate the new 220,000-ton ships, which will be 40 percent bigger than the Royal's Freedom-class vessels. Royal Caribbean will reimburse the port for the expansion over time.

Indeed, the Genesis ships are slated to be so large they can't dock at many ports and will often require special accommodations at those they do visit.

Jamaica plans to build a new port of call for the Genesis project rather than enlarge its existing facilities. The government of Haiti and Royal Caribbean agreed in February to build a $27-million pier in Labadee to accommodate the giant Genesis ships.

They are also going to build a parking garage next to terminal 18. Someone on the Carnival board posted a photo yesterday of the new Genesis pier in St. Maarten. It is now under construction. :)

What a tight fit. They will not occupy 19/20 at the same time then.

I am quite familiar with the boarding / off-loading that happens in various ports (MIA, SAN, LAX, FLL, GAL, MSY, et al). To think that there will be 'comfortable' situations with Genesis is smoking something funny!! How many gangways will there be?? How many staff will there be to manage the boarding checkpoints & how many actual metal screeners??

OH, NO _ NO _ NO NO!!! I'm already starting to look for the 'small' ships sailings with a personal level of service - NOT the WAL-MART of crusing!!!

cruisingator, i saw that pic of the new pier in st maarten...looks like the genesis will have plenty of room to maneuver. :cool:

FL-Cruiser64, it does appear the Genesis will have a tight fit. I've watched the QM2 arrive and depart...and it seemed to take forever for them to get out of their berth space.

They are going to take in terminal 17 and double the building space. She will dock using the space of 16 through 18.

seems like more than enough space. time will tell...i'm optimistic everything will be fine.

one thing we know...RCI isn't just building this huge ship without doing some extensive research. spending a billion dollars on a ship and not plan important details such as embarkation, debarkation, tendering, etc is insane.

before they even allowed the freedom class ships to sail at full capacity, they allowed sufficient time for employees and customs to handle passenger flow at lower levels before cruising at or near full capacity.

seems like more than enough space. time will tell...i'm optimistic everything will be fine.

one thing we know...RCI isn't just being this huge ship without doing some extensive research. spending a billion dollars on a ship and not plan important details such as embarkation, debarkation, tendering, etc is insane.

before they even allowed the freedom class ships to sail at full capacity, they allowed sufficient time for employees and customs to handle passenger flow at lower levels before sailing at or near full capacity.

I remember that the Freedom only sailed at something like 75% full for a while before they allowed the ship to sail full. Good thinking on their part.

I'm glad someone started this thread...I've been on Carnival only 3 times and Royal is my favorite. At the time, Carnival was going to Belize and that's where we wanted to go. I've been on small Royal ships, the Voyager, I was on the maiden voyage of Freedom and cant wait for Genesis. I can honestly say to those that think it's crowded, noisy, etc. It's not---really..I kind of thought it would be on Freedom but the only discouraging part was getting off the ship but on every cruise I've been on it's always a pain.

I had no problem in the buffets, no problem when we went to the ice show - and yes -we were late but still had no problem. I'm somewhat of a loner and even when I wanted to be alone but not in my cabin, they had plenty of hiding places... I say all to those who have doubts, let's continue the thread, continue with the updates and keep an open mind to be on the maiden voyage next year!!

N.:p

They are going to take in terminal 17 and double the building space. She will dock using the space of 16 through 18.

What about width. Genesis will be hanging into 19. Usually on 19/20 is the Carnival Liberty. She always has to leave the dock sideways. With Genesis occupying 18 and another ship on 21/22 there is no room left.

Attached is a wonderful pic of berth 18 (right), 19/20 (Liberty) and then 21/22. Picture courtesy of Radio.

SUN3.jpg.9bcc4183315aa3dc1daf2187636ca5d7.jpg

What about width. Genesis will be hanging into 19. Usually on 19/20 is the Carnival Liberty. She always has to leave the dock sideways. With Genesis occupying 18 and another ship on 21/22 there is no room left.

Attached is a wonderful pic of berth 18 (right), 19/20 (Liberty) and then 21/22. Picture courtesy of Radio.

You can bet that the port knows what they are doing when they planned to bring this ship in or RCI would not have signed on the dotted line. There is plenty of room when you put 16 through 18 together.

You can bet that the port knows what they are doing when they planned to bring this ship in or RCI would not have signed on the dotted line. There is plenty of room when you put 16 through 18 together.

Not the length. See my attached pic in the previous post.

If Port Everglades would know what they are doing they would have been prepared for the Navigator. They knew for almost 2 years she was coming.

I can only hope that they work that out. I want my home port to shine and not be the joke of the cruising world.

Not the length. See my attached pic in the previous post.

If Port Everglades would know what they are doing they would have been prepared for the Navigator. They knew for almost 2 years she was coming.

I can only hope that they work that out. I want my home port to shine and not be the joke of the cruising world.

Look, at this point it is moot to discuss this. If you think that Richard Fain was stupid enough to place a billion dollar ship in a port without making sure it would fit then go ahead and believe it. I give up.

Look, at this point it is moot to discuss this. If you think that Richard Fain was stupid enough to place a billion dollar ship in a port without making sure it would fit then go ahead and believe it. I give up.

No matter where Fain put this ship. He has to hope that these ports upgrade in time. So he is speculating, gambling.

You look at plans and hope for the best. It has nothing to do with being 'stupid enough'. I know how our bureaucracy works down here and I certainly know how slow our construction companies work down here.

And as I said: I certainly hope for the best.

But you didn't answer my question: based on the pic, do you think this vessel line up will fit with Genesis?

OH, NO _ NO _ NO NO!!! I'm already starting to look for the 'small' ships sailings with a personal level of service - NOT the WAL-MART of crusing!!!

:p Wal Mart?? I think a ship this size would be Sam's Club.

I have a lot of questions:

Where is the line begins for tender tickets?

Would they offer a free transportation from one end of the ship to the other?

How long is the wait for an elevator?

Would I get my breakfast by lunch when I call the room service?

If I get lost - would I find the way out by the end of the cruise?

If it's rains - would I need an umbrella in the park?

Can I get taxi back to my room?

Is there enough room in the pool for 5000 people?

Let me think, I will have more questions.

Bingo! Same here. I have no interest to feel like I'm at Central Park. I cruise to be on the SHIP.

Oh I SO agree. I looked at that and said to myself "it's like staying at a Hotel." if I wanted a hotel I'd stay in a hotel. For the same reason I don't even think I'd want a promenade view room on Freedom or the other larger ships that have them.

Ed

Archived