Herculaneum

PrincessRobbo

Has anyone been to Herculaneum from Sorrento? Is it easy to get to on public transport. I've Googled it but only seem to get private tours coming up.

Unique Costiera who we have a private tour booked with from Amalfi, do a 'budget' tour to Herculaneum with a guide using public transport. This sounds more fun than just having a driver to drop you of and pick you up later.

Any thoughts anyone?

Public transportation in Naples can be chaotic (actually all of Naples can be chaotic) but if you are going with someone who knows the public transportation system then I would recommend it. Naples is one of those places that it is best to have an Italian keeping and eye out for you. That said, Herculaneum is amazing. It is relatively small but the advanced development of that community is pretty unbievable. I lived in North of Naples for a few years while in the military and Herculaneum is of those places I remember the most.

Have a great visit.

We have just come back from a cruise which included Sorrento and Amalfi. With another couple we hired Aldo Esposito - www.aldotaxi.net - to take us to Pompeii, Vesuvius and Heraculeum. He was amazing, is from the area, gave us great insite into all 3 sites and took us to a fabulous small family run restaurant for lunch and all this cost us much less than the ship tours. I highly recommend him. He came with a 7 passenger mercedes van for the 4 of us so we were super comfortable.

• 4 months later...

My understanding is that for Pompeii, your driver cannot be your guide. We had investigated doing Pompeii and Herculaneum with a private driver, and we were told we would have to hire a separate guide. We were quoted a rate of 100 euros for the guide for 2 hours. We ended up renting the headsets at both places instead.

we took the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum, it was very simple and very inexpensive. Just follow everyone else who is walking up to the train station to go to Pompeii. Get your round trip ticket (a few euros pp) and hop on the train. Most everybody gets off at Pompeii, you stay on a little bit longer. Once there, you simply walk down the street, it takes you straight to Herculaneum. Halfway there on the right is a brand new virtual volcano musuem that looked very fun. Once at Herculaneum, you buy your ticket, then walk around the top to the bookstore and audioguide kiosk. We got one audioguide for six euros I think and it was quite good. Our combined cost for the entire day, including the train, a couple of cappuccinos, admissions, a detailed guide to the site (which we bought when leaving, they provide a map with admission), the audioguide, the whole kit and caboodle for two persons, came to about 40 euros.

Archived