What ships go to Cancun?

AZ Karaoke Girl

I just got back from Mexican Riviera cruise on Carnival Spirit and starting to plan a western carribean cruise with the kids. DH wants to go to Cancun and I want to go to Cozumel but I'm having a hard time finding a cruise that goes to Cancun. Did they stop cruises to Cancun after hurricane Wilma? Seems like Cancun forum has no activitiy on it so I'm kinda thinkin we'd have to do a land vacation to cancun. :(

you've pretty much got it right. Closest you can get by ship would be Calica. I don't remember when exactly they quit calling on Cancun, but I do know it wasn't because of Wilma, it was a bit before that storm.

• 11 months later...

We watch the ships off in the distance every night from our balcony but sadly none actually port here, we would love to have you all closer!!!! Would probably make us want to go even more.

But the closest port of call is still Cozumel-Playa del Carmen.

And we are a 30 minute taxi ride away.

• 3 months later...

I booked a Carnival cruise in October. Has anyone traveled from Calica to Cancun? I have been told it is about a 40 minute trip. How did you travel and how much did it cost? Thanks!

Most of the ships that dock in Cozumel offer day trips to Cancun for shopping, etc. You have to catch the ferry to Playa del Carmen and then board a bus for the 45 min. - 1 hour bus ride to Cancun. At least if you book through the ship and you're late arriving back at the port, the ship will wait on you!

• 1 year later...

We did the Western Carib. a few years ago and stopped in Cozumel. We rented a pink VW Bug Convertible and toured the island. Great time, hit a couple of beaches and had lunch on the beach on far side of island.

I don't believe any cruise ships stop in Cancun. Last winter we were at a resort in the Mayan Riviera about 1/2 hour south of Cancun and seen lot of ships go by.

As far as shopping, there's nothing in Cancun that you can't buy in Playa-del-Carman or Cozumel. Don't waste your time taking the bus to Cancun unless you really want to see Cancun.

• 3 months later...
I booked a Carnival cruise in October. Has anyone traveled from Calica to Cancun? I have been told it is about a 40 minute trip. How did you travel and how much did it cost? Thanks!

We did the Calica/Cancun trip years back. If I remember correctly it was a 45min. ride. Don't quote me, but I believe we paid $50-$60 for all of us(6 total). We were taken in a van.

He took us to Hard Rock to swim in the sea for awhile and then to the Market 28(big flea market). Stayed with us the whole time. They were right at the pier waiting for people to hire them.

This was in 2002, so I don't know what the rates are now.

Archived