Verizon Global Phone Service

alphakitty

I just thought I'd share this info here. We are heading over to the UK for a cruise and I wanted a cell phone to keep in touch. I called Verizon to see what they can do for me. It's a great service they offered me!

They sent me a loaner phone which, when activated, will use my regular cell phone number. No Charge!

When in the UK I can receive calls at my normal phone number for NO Charge!

They sent me a prepaid label to return the phone at NO Charge!

If I use the phone to call out, I'll be charge $1.29 PM.

If I don't use the phone to call out, when I return the phone....it's all free!

So..if you are traveling to Europe or the UK and have Verizon service, I would recommend checking with Verizon ...it's a great service. :)

I just thought I'd share this info here. We are heading over to the UK for a cruise and I wanted a cell phone to keep in touch. I called Verizon to see what they can do for me. It's a great service they offered me!

They sent me a loaner phone which, when activated, will use my regular cell phone number. No Charge!

So..if you are traveling to Europe or the UK and have Verizon service, I would recommend checking with Verizon ...it's a great service. :)

Unless Verizon has substantially changed their calling plan/features since we got the last global phone (January)-you will be billed a small rental charge (about $30.00 for the month) AND you will pay for international roaming whether the call is incoming or outbound.

We have a corporate Verizon account (54 phones) with 10 of them global phones. We have always been billed outbound and inbound calls no matter where we were in the world EXCEPT in the USA. In Europe, you are using the Vodaphone network, which is Europe's largest cell network. Charges may not show up for 60-90 days, so don't be shocked at your bill.

IF you find out that you get everything for free EXCEPT outbound calls, please post. I will immediately take the global phones out of the corporate plan and add them to my personal plan to save the inbound phone charges. Thanks

Unless Verizon has substantially changed their calling plan/features since we got the last global phone (January)-you will be billed a small rental charge (about $30.00 for the month) AND you will pay for international roaming whether the call is incoming or outbound.

We have a corporate Verizon account (54 phones) with 10 of them global phones. We have always been billed outbound and inbound calls no matter where we were in the world EXCEPT in the USA. In Europe, you are using the Vodaphone network, which is Europe's largest cell network. Charges may not show up for 60-90 days, so don't be shocked at your bill.

IF you find out that you get everything for free EXCEPT outbound calls, please post. I will immediately take the global phones out of the corporate plan and add them to my personal plan to save the inbound phone charges. Thanks

I guess they must have changed it then greatam because there is no charge for the rental. And we are not paying for incoming calls. They are switching the service from my usual phone to the loaner phone.

It's all spelled out on my receipt. LoanMOTZ6C $0.00

In call Natl Shr Sec UNLIM $0.00

Basic Voice Mail $0

Premium NTWK SVC Access $0

There is more but Order Total is $0.00

I don't plan on making any calls, but I wanted it for emergency.

The only charge is $199 if I don't return the phone on time....30 days.

I will let you know if there are any hidden costs, but I was assured there weren't.

You need to call 611 on Verizon and talk to someone in the international department. As I just did a few seconds ago. Because you have either misunderstood or have been told wrong.

You will be charged 1.29 per minute for incoming calls. I pay big bucks for my global phone use, and I was going to switch on the spot if what you had been told was true. When I contacted Verizon about your post. I was told that there was a 1.29 per minute charge in the U.K. for incoming and outgoing calls.

You need to call 611 on Verizon and talk to someone in the international department. As I just did a few seconds ago. Because you have either misunderstood or have been told wrong.

You will be charged 1.29 per minute for incoming calls. I pay big bucks for my global phone use, and I was going to switch on the spot if what you had been told was true. When I contacted Verizon about your post. I was told that there was a 1.29 per minute charge in the U.K. for incoming and outgoing calls.

Agreed, Agreed!!!! I actually went to the store-left the Verizon store in Phoenix about 11:30AM after being in there almost an hour. I printed out this thread, rounded up 5 of our 10 global phones and went there with the intention of getting FREE incoming calls (which would save our company a fortune). NO, NO, NO. ALL calls are billed at $1.29 a minute in Europe, $.69 per minute for Canada (unless you have a special "call Canada" plan). $2.29-3.19 per minute for most of Asia and Africa. This was for incoming and outgoing. ALL minutes/ALL calls. Text messages were slightly cheaper-average about $.65 each.

And while I was there, I asked about "freebie" loaner phones. It depends on the originating Verizon region. Some have been "loaning" phones, most charge a fee which is billed to your Verizon account AFTER you return the phone.

I did learn two things interesting. Vietnam is on CDMA-same as Verizon in the USA. And now, since the partnership with Vodaphone, Verizon had CDMA service in Vietnam. Don't know exactly how it works and neither did the Verizon guy, because Vodaphone is a GSM network. But using my US Verizon cell would only incur international roaming charges at about $2.29 per minute, NOT $4.95 that I have been paying. My bills out of Vietnam/Cambodia have resembled a business class plane ticket.

And Verizon is now getting into the Iridium Satellite phone business. Their rates are quite a bit more expensive that what I currently pay. But like anything electronic, time will bring the price down.

I have learned that my local store knows crap about their international services and phones. Matter of fact my 8830 WE has gone bad. I went in yesterday to see about getting it worked on. The tech took one look at my phone and ordered me a new one. No, let's look at it. Let me see what it's doing. Nothing. I said I was having a hard time hearing on it and BAM! New phone! So I called the international department at Verizon.

They do have the No Daily rental Fee and No Deposit option. But it's only for those who are occasional global travelers (for travel under 21 days).

But the incoming and outgoing roaming charges still apply.

On a side note, I got a laugh when I called. As the lady in the international department had to ask me what country London was located in. :rolleyes:

Well I'll have to recheck then, because that is totally not what I was told when I ordered it. It really doesn't matter to me as I'll only use the phone in emergency and yes, it is only for occasional travelers.

However, I don't want to post wrong info, so I will check it out! Thanks for the heads up. :)

We did this with Verizon last December, it was great. No charge for incoming calls at all. No roaming charges. But it did cost about $9 per day to rent. I got one for me and one for my daughter who was traveling with me in case we got seperated. Also to keep in touch with home. No hidden charges at all.

They did not call it a global phone, it was just a phone set up to use in the UK. When we went to France, we got a text message asking us if we wanted to switch to that network while traveling in france. Very cool!

Just to follow up....I spoke to Verizon today. I activated my Global phone...I'm leaving on Friday. :)

I was given wrong info regarding charges. There IS a charge for incoming and outgoing calls. 99 cents/min for both, not the $1.29 I was quoted before. Text messages are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. I am not paying a daily rental or a deposit though, so that's not bad. Considering I'm using it for emergencies only, this is the best deal for me.

The other program they could offer would be a $3.99 daily rental and a $50.00 deposit on the loaner phone and THEN incoming calls would be no charge.

Thanks for the info Greatam, because of you, I won't have a surprise bill! :)

Glad you got it all straight.

A surprise bill would be the less of the problem. Getting said bill fixed is the nightmare!!! I have been fighting At&t since Dec over my surprise bill.

Your also right there are 2 different plans. Both are very close in what they offer, but also very different.

Have a blast in the U.K.

Where are you going?

Thanks Amlee :)

We are going to London for a few days of touring (at our own expense) and then to Southampton for the Pre-Inaugural cruise on Independence of the Seas courtesy of Royal Caribbean and USA Today! :)

My husband and I were finalists in the Name the Ship Genesis contest and it's all happening fast! Exciting for sure, but tiring tool :D

Just to follow up....I spoke to Verizon today. I activated my Global phone...I'm leaving on Friday. :)

I was given wrong info regarding charges. There IS a charge for incoming and outgoing calls. 99 cents/min for both, not the $1.29 I was quoted before. Text messages are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. I am not paying a daily rental or a deposit though, so that's not bad. Considering I'm using it for emergencies only, this is the best deal for me.

The other program they could offer would be a $3.99 daily rental and a $50.00 deposit on the loaner phone and THEN incoming calls would be no charge.

Thanks for the info Greatam, because of you, I won't have a surprise bill! :)

When I got my bill, there were no charges for incoming calls, which I got alot of. It still states that there is no charge for incoming on Verizon website were I rented from. Maybe I rented a different kind of phone?

I just got off the phone with Verizon and my info seems to be the same

or close to everyone elses.

We would be on the 21 day or less program.

$9.99 to ship the loaner phone (they provide return shipping)

$1.29 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls

Text messages 50cents to send, 5 cents to receive

WE GET TO KEEP OUR SAME CELL PHONE NUMBER -which is cool!

Two questions, they did say the phone will not work while

onboard the NCL ship in the Med

If someone tries to call us while we are on the

ship will it go to a voicemail that we can retrieve

while in port?

Would that be the $1.29 charge to get a voicemail?

Thanks for any additional insight.

When I got my bill' date=' there were no charges for incoming calls, which I got alot of. It still states that there is no charge for incoming on Verizon website were I rented from. Maybe I rented a different kind of phone?[/quote']

Yes, you where on a different plan than the we are talking about.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and my info seems to be the same

or close to everyone elses.

We would be on the 21 day or less program.

$9.99 to ship the loaner phone (they provide return shipping)

$1.29 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls

Text messages 50cents to send, 5 cents to receive

WE GET TO KEEP OUR SAME CELL PHONE NUMBER -which is cool!

Two questions, they did say the phone will not work while

onboard the NCL ship in the Med

If someone tries to call us while we are on the

ship will it go to a voicemail that we can retrieve

while in port?

Would that be the $1.29 charge to get a voicemail?

Thanks for any additional insight.

The towers on the ship work on CDMA. The phone you are renting is going to be GSM only. You will be charged to check your voice mail.

Archived