Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

I second Jeana's suggestion of JUGs. We actually met on my only JUGs cruise a few years back and would cruise with them again in a heartbeat. Hi Jeana. They are doing a "reunion" cruise October 2010, newcomers welcome too of course. Rosemary, I see you posting sometimes.

I have sailed solo twice now, in the Caribbean last winter on Princess and a transatlantic on RCL where we had a very active roll call and I met many fun nice people who I shared tours, dinners, nightlife etc. with during the cruise. There were a great many middle-to-older age single people on this cruise and I had a great time. This was in an oceanview cabin solo for 16 days for under $700. Joining a roll call is definitely something I would recommend for anyone cruising solo.

My mother was widowed last year after 48 years of marriage. In January she did a solo cruise to the Antarctic - the only continent that she and my father did not visit together. We just got back from a Baltic cruise together and she is now thinking of doing a Yangtze River cruise solo. I have offered to try to find some information for her on CC but am not sure where to start. Has anyone done solo cruises to these more exotic locales? She was very fortunate with her dining companions in January but it seems like that could really make or break the experience if you are travelling alone. She is uncomfortable with the idea of anything announcing her solo status - she doesn't want to be "bothered" by any well intentioned potential suitors. Is this a big issue? Any suggestions I can pass along? Thanks.

My mother was widowed last year after 48 years of marriage. In January she did a solo cruise to the Antarctic - the only continent that she and my father did not visit together. We just got back from a Baltic cruise together and she is now thinking of doing a Yangtze River cruise solo. I have offered to try to find some information for her on CC but am not sure where to start. Has anyone done solo cruises to these more exotic locales? She was very fortunate with her dining companions in January but it seems like that could really make or break the experience if you are travelling alone. She is uncomfortable with the idea of anything announcing her solo status - she doesn't want to be "bothered" by any well intentioned potential suitors. Is this a big issue? Any suggestions I can pass along? Thanks.

I don't know how your Mom feels about telling little white lies, but if she does get bothered my well meaning potential suitors, she just has to say that her significant other couldn't make the trip.

From the cruises I've been on, I always see more single women than men. I went on a cruise last year with 3 other friends, but yet I made friends with couples on the ship. You just never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Don't be afraid. Just go with the flow. You will have a great time.

I just booked my 19th cruise and have almost always gone alone. I am 73 years old. It has slowed me down, but I won't give up until I can't sail again. I am obese so flying to a foreign port is a problem, so have started just cruising along the West Coast - always something new to see - and I've met some really neat people along the way. It's fun when you take a cruise and run into people you've cruised with before. Best way for a single older person to travel alone.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been a widow for 11 years. Since my wife passed away, I found traveling to be a great comfort and I just about always travel alone so I can meet new people from all over the world.

My suggestion is to pick the assigned seating and ask for the largest table available. This way you get to meet more people.

I love to dance and usually there are single ladies aboard who also enjoy dancing.

My next cruise is on Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas on Dec 11 out of Miami.

Hope you get to cruise a lot and meet nice people,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just came back from a 14 night Classical Mediterranean Cruise, and I found this one not for singles.

I wanted to go and see all the history, and did but found that everyone has someone to talk to or hang around and yes I did meet others but they had their groups to travel in. So I went on tours, and stayed with the group.

But loved my balcony and I paid every cent of it , no discounts at all, loved it and would do it again . Only thing is that I had problems with my flights being cancelled 24 hr didn't help, but I sure know now what things I would do and not do when going alone on a cruise.

Archived