Another alcohol post.. forgive me...

Four friends of ours are leaving in a few weeks. Their TA told them that it was okay to take alcohol on-board, "Just put it in your luggage." They have not been on a cruise before, so they don't really know what to expect. I read the RC website and it says, "No alcohol brought onboard."

Obviously, they are adults and can make their own decisions, but should I try a little harder to let them know that the TA is not correct? I would hate for them to have the alcohol confiscated and have to deal with that situation at the beginning of a vacation that they have been looking forward to for quite a while.

Or am I being a stick in the mud...

Lallylass

From RCI's website:

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Four friends of ours are leaving in a few weeks. Their TA told them that it was okay to take alcohol on-board, "Just put it in your luggage." They have not been on a cruise before, so they don't really know what to expect. I read the RC website and it says, "No alcohol brought onboard."

Obviously, they are adults and can make their own decisions, but should I try a little harder to let them know that the TA is not correct? I would hate for them to have the alcohol confiscated and have to deal with that situation at the beginning of a vacation that they have been looking forward to for quite a while.

Lallylass

You could send them some links to some recent relevant discussion threads on this board and suggest they spend some time researching before they go. That would provide them with some more insight.

Mike

Do a search on alcohol, and get ready for some funny reading.

Unless things lighten up post-spring break (some have alluded this may happen), you will likely get any bottles confiscated.

That said, we did the Rummrunners.com flasks, and they worked great - durable, easy to load up cruise morning. Just off April 6th cruise, and the porter warned us they were confiscating (I had already loaded the suitcases). I carried on the mixer as it is non-alcoholic. No problems...

red ou

I also had a few cans of my favorite ale in my carryone that went through with no issue...

Read up and get educated. Contrary to the previous poster quoting dire warnings (you will be denied boarding) - what happens is liquor is confiscated and returned on the last day. Posters have mentioned if you use other containers (flasks), it will be poured out, and you will lose it...

Education is a wonderful thing...

What does FUD stand for? Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt

Tons of posts proving rum runner flasks are undetectable. Nobody has ever actually been prevented from getting on board. They crack down hard when it's a bunch of youngsters onboard (spring break etc). If they find something they think is booze (or an iron) via the x-ray, they'll call you down to open your luggage for inspection. Use rum runners - with no bottles that look like booze or irons to get their attention.

Lallylass

and post your success here so RCI can read it and know what to look out for in the future

Love your post as it points RCCL staff in a new direction. I will just take my lumps with my small bottle in the original container. If it makes great, if not guess I will stay in CL lounge longer drinking their liquor instead of mine on my balcony. I don't want to call room service for a drink and wait for a watered down drink. Wish they would bring back the buy your bottle from the ship with the extra fee and be able to have it in your room. It was much easier when you could do that and not have to go through the hassle.

LOL - people have been posting about rum runner success for some time. How do you 'look out for' something that doesn't show up on your scanners? They can't actually open every suitcase. And you can bet that if they were goin through everyone's suitcase with a fine tooth comb and rifling thru peoples underwear and personal belongings - horrible PR - sorta like TSA gets :)

and post your success here so RCI can read it and know what to look out for in the future

LOL - people have been posting about rum runner success for some time. How do you 'look out for' something that doesn't show up on your scanners? They can't actually open every suitcase. And you can bet that if they were goin through everyone's suitcase with a fine tooth comb and rifling thru peoples underwear and personal belongings - horrible PR - sorta like TSA gets :)
Well, they COULD actually open everyone's suitcases, but I'm pretty sure they've considerd that option and decided that it isn't cost effective. They know very good and well that SOME alcohol gets through, but the manpower (and time) that'd be required to find it would negate the onboard alcohol sales they'd gain.

I can tell you that they scan the suitcases, as they cut our lock on our suitcase. Hubby had cans of Bandits in his suitcase. Bandits are in a round circular metal can that could look like a cylinder of some type of explosive. We were on B2B cruises so he was taking several cans. Thank goodness he has given up that habit.

My biggest question has to do with the TA: What other things is he/she flat wrong about? What other misinformation has he/she passed along? Are they sure that their reservations and other documentation are accurate? May seem like overreacting, but you've just got to wonder how ill-informed this TA truly is.

beachchick

My biggest question has to do with the TA: What other things is he/she flat wrong about? What other misinformation has he/she passed along? Are they sure that their reservations and other documentation are accurate? May seem like overreacting, but you've just got to wonder how ill-informed this TA truly is.

beachchick

My thoughts exactly! How can you trust a TA who (apparently)doesn't even read the cruise docs? How much does s/he really know about RCI and/or cruising in general? Don't think I would trust this TA very much and would definitely make sure all my stuff was in order.

Not time or $$ effective, nor worth the bad PR. They know a lot gets through - you see many posts where it's pretty obvious and they just turn a blind eye. Where you see most of the posts about them cracking down is spring break time.

Well, they COULD actually open everyone's suitcases, but I'm pretty sure they've considerd that option and decided that it isn't cost effective. They know very good and well that SOME alcohol gets through, but the manpower (and time) that'd be required to find it would negate the onboard alcohol sales they'd gain.

I put a bottle of red wine in our case that I bought at the airport in London before our flight over. It was spring week and i didnt have it taken. We also brought back a couple of beers in our carry on after our trip on St Thomas that we hadnt drunk during the day,. They went through the scanner ok. Nobody seemed that worried.

We just got back this Sunday from the Explorer. We took liquor in the rum runner flasks and also packed boxes of wine and boxes of cosmos and appletini's. (there were 13 of us, so we had a lot of luggage to hide it in). Not one thing was confiscated. All of it came through with no problems at all. Once you fill up the rum runners and put them in your luggage, they are really thin.... they sort of just melt into your clothing and I think that's why they are sort of undetectable. Definitely worth the money in buying them.

RCCL rules say no alcohol

I don't get it, why do people have to hide alcohol in their suitcase etc. like under age kids. Yes it would be nice to bring your own stuff but those are the rules.

Your on vacation live a little buy your drinks on the ship.

I don't get it, why do people have to hide alcohol in their suitcase etc. like under age kids. Yes it would be nice to bring your own stuff but those are the rules.

I brought 2 litres of rum on board Majesty recently at embarcation. It was in original bottles in my carry on and I fully expected RCI to seize it after xray but they didn't.

I suppose I should have hauled it out and voluntarily asked them to confiscate it but I chose not to. These 2 litres cost me $30 at the duty free vs $320 on board. :cool:

We have to hide it in our suitcases like underage kids because the cruise lines say I can't just carry it in.

I am living a little - I'm taking a cruise :)

If I want to have a drink should I have to either wait who knows how long for room service to bring me a drink or have to leave my balcony to head out to a bar and get a drink? No I shouldn't. I'll be buying drinks all day by the pool and at the bars when I'm outside my cabin. I'm not an idiot who's going to drink myself into a stupor and walk the rails. I'm also fairly well convinced that this rule isn't just for safety. RCCL bans all alcohol so I can't even bring a bottle of wine to share with family. Why is that? PROFIT, that is why.

I brought 2 litres of rum on board Majesty recently at embarcation. It was in original bottles in my carry on and I fully expected RCI to seize it after xray but they didn't.

I suppose I should have hauled it out and voluntarily asked them to confiscate it but I chose not to. These 2 litres cost me $30 at the duty free vs $320 on board. :cool:

So ARE you admitting that you actually STOLE or shorted RCI on $290 ?? ;) :D

Well done!

This being my first RCI cruise, I don't know what to expect. But on my last 2 cruises with Princess, I shamlessly admit that I smuggled booze onboard. DW and I like to have our vodka martini before supper and sometimes after...so I put my dry vermouth in water bottles and pick up a mickey of Absolut vodka, put stuffed olives in a ziplock, swizzle sticks from the dollar store and a plastic martini set I stumbled across and voila! I leave the whole process on the desk above the fridge...no hiding....never heard a peep from anyone.

Am I being dishonest....uh maybe.....are my actions ruining someone else's cruise ...nope....

Archived