Different prices by T/A

Sailaway John

Could the Aussies on this board please email me at jennie1@exemail to explain exactly how they book with US online TA as I have always been told that this is not possible for aussies with Princess cruises

Thank you

Could the Aussies on this board please email me at jennie1@exemail to explain exactly how they book with US online TA as I have always been told that this is not possible for aussies with Princess cruises

Thank you

hi jenni, i sent you a message and i hope you got it ok as you left off the .com.au

rkmw

Hi,

A 7-10 booking window is the length of the promos we get as agents......i.e you have X amount of days to book certain ships and sailing dates for a certain promo.

The groups I am working on next summer...we do not receive any payment to the agency until after the clients have returned...most folks pay by credit card.

Hope this helps

Mary (Travelgoddes)

I am planning to go on my very first cruise to the Mexican Riveria in Oct. 08, my TA says that the whole cruise has to be paid by July 1, 08, but I have seen where others say that the cruise has to be paid within 30 days of the sailing. So can someone tell me if this is just the TA wanting to make sure that all of the guests are paid or is this really how it works that a cruise has to be paid in full 3 months before we even leave.

Also someone else asked what the 7 - 10 day booking is, I would like to know what that means also.

Most is not all of the mass market cruise lines require final payment approximately 70 days prior to sailing. This is a great tool for them because if they still have cabins unsold, you might see more promos being offered for that sailing. I hope this helps!

I notice that you are in Sydney. We are up here on the Central Coast. I am curious to know if you book your cruises in Sydney or do you use on line agencies? Jennie

Yes we use a travel agent sometimes local but this time one from Canberra. They have given us a great price which no one else can match and also some OBC.

We always shop based on bottom line...and there are large differences. Even when we get a good price, we always ask for an on board credit...worst they can say is no.

I have found that many agencies include a line that says taxes. For example on a Carib. cruise sometimes it is as much as $200. or so. This is not port taxes. Port taxes on a 7 day cruise are usually about $50. so I suspect some TA commission is buried here. Next time you miss a port, take a look at the tax refund. I suspect that the lower end on line TA's are working on very low commissions-perhaps as low as $50-$75. pp. Those who asked to tow the line re the price list appear to make it up on on board credits. On more than a few occasions, we have had quotes from two agents that had a huge variance on port taxes for the same cruise. We always shop on net price-that takes care of the low ballers.

I'm not sure if you are dealing with TAs that are not being upfront with you, but much of this information is just not correct. Here's how EVERYONE is supposed to quote -- with NCFs (used to be called "port charges", now the terms "non-commissionable fees/funds" is used) but not including taxes. Fuel surcharges are new enough that I'm seeing some quote with them in, some add them on as an afterthought.

On a 7-night cruise, "port charges" are seldom, if ever, as low as $50. Much of what I've quoted lately, has NCFs above $150 or $200 pp. Taxes on the other hand can run around $50 pp.

TAs can NOT "bury" their commission in either NCFs (port charges) or taxes. That's just 100% wrong, not allowed, not permissible, and not done. I've worked for both small agencies and large internet-only agencies. You just can't bury commission in a line item. It comes out of the "cruise-only" rate. On a consumer copy of a confirmation from the cruise line, you will not normally see the "cruise-only" rate. You'll see the rate that includes the NCFs.

As was mentioned above, there are cruises where we're making only $50 or $75. Keep in mind that on an average $2000 pp - $2500 pp cruise (inclusive of NCFs, taxes, government fees, and fuel), your agency is probably only making a max of about $200 - $250. Of that amount, your agent is making a cut. Any onboard gifts that are not part of group amenities typically come primarily from that agent's portion, although sometimes the agency will kick in.

Taxes are subject to change all the way up until sailing. Lately, I'm seeing cruise lines even throw in the disclaimer that NCFs (port) are subject to change. Princess and HAL are notorious for taxes changing. Many of my Princess sailings will go through 3 or more changes (increases 90% of the time) from booking until sailing. Frankly, it's a bit out of hand.

While I agree with "ask...alll they can do is say no," it cracks me up sometimes. I think that sometimes cruisers have unrealistic views of what the TA is actually making. The margins are not as high as you might think. I personally work for an agency that is commissioned as high as you can go with Princess. We also have access to rates that lower-performing agencies don't have. That having been said, I'm normally operating at a margin of $100 - $200 pp profit. For Alaska and the Caribbean, it's typically around $100 pp. So when someone asks for $100 obc, the money is just not there to give it unless I have group space and it's an amenity provided by the cruise line.

For the amount of time that I put into the average booking and the expenses involved in booking it, that's not as much as you might think. Why do I do it? Truthfully, because I LOVE it. There's no other industry that I've found that gives me as much personal satisfaction. To some extent we're all sales people -- everyone sells something, be it a product or themselves and they're ideas. If you're going to sell something, you might as well sell dreams. That's what cruises are to many people -- dreams that come true (let's not go to the nightmare category, lol). I also love this industry. I get up in the morning WANTING to go to work. I'm not sure how many people enjoy that privilege of wanting to go to work, but I plan to enjoy it for as long as I can.

1. It's illegal with most if not all cruise lines. If you are caught they could punish you a couple different ways. 2. Contrary to popular belief - we do not make GREAT money!! I am able to be an agent because it's what I love to do and my husband is the primary breadwinner. If you are an agency owner, you'll make far more but they get a decent cut!!!

It breaks cruise line rules discount Royal, Celebrity, and Azamara. You also cannot discount a few of the luxury lines. You could lose your ability to sell these products, and the client could end up paying the difference, if you get caught doing so. Will that happen? Probably not, but it's still the rules and I respect the rules.

You cannot ADVERTISE a discount on Carnival and some others. It's not "illegal", though, to discount most cruise lines. Most cruise lines allow you to discount. I'm not saying I agree, or disagree, with discounting out of already thin margins. I'm just saying that it's not illegal and most cruise lines do allow it.

"Personally, I do not discount anything from my commissions. 1. It's illegal with most if not all cruise lines. If you are caught they could punish you a couple different ways."

If the OBC is not offered by the cruise line, it does come from the agent's commission for often does, just as most discounts. do. Agents cannot discount, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, and Regent(special case). All the rest they can.

I'm not sure if you are dealing with TAs that are not being upfront with you, but much of this information is just not correct. Here's how EVERYONE is supposed to quote -- with NCFs (used to be called "port charges", now the terms "non-commissionable fees/funds" is used) but not including taxes. Fuel surcharges are new enough that I'm seeing some quote with them in, some add them on as an afterthought.

On a 7-night cruise, "port charges" are seldom, if ever, as low as $50. Much of what I've quoted lately, has NCFs above $150 or $200 pp. Taxes on the other hand can run around $50 pp.

TAs can NOT "bury" their commission in either NCFs (port charges) or taxes. That's just 100% wrong, not allowed, not permissible, and not done. I've worked for both small agencies and large internet-only agencies. You just can't bury commission in a line item. It comes out of the "cruise-only" rate. On a consumer copy of a confirmation from the cruise line, you will not normally see the "cruise-only" rate. You'll see the rate that includes the NCFs.

As was mentioned above, there are cruises where we're making only $50 or $75. Keep in mind that on an average $2000 pp - $2500 pp cruise (inclusive of NCFs, taxes, government fees, and fuel), your agency is probably only making a max of about $200 - $250. Of that amount, your agent is making a cut. Any onboard gifts that are not part of group amenities typically come primarily from that agent's portion, although sometimes the agency will kick in.

Taxes are subject to change all the way up until sailing. Lately, I'm seeing cruise lines even throw in the disclaimer that NCFs (port) are subject to change. Princess and HAL are notorious for taxes changing. Many of my Princess sailings will go through 3 or more changes (increases 90% of the time) from booking until sailing. Frankly, it's a bit out of hand.

While I agree with "ask...alll they can do is say no," it cracks me up sometimes. I think that sometimes cruisers have unrealistic views of what the TA is actually making. The margins are not as high as you might think. I personally work for an agency that is commissioned as high as you can go with Princess. We also have access to rates that lower-performing agencies don't have. That having been said, I'm normally operating at a margin of $100 - $200 pp profit. For Alaska and the Caribbean, it's typically around $100 pp. So when someone asks for $100 obc, the money is just not there to give it unless I have group space and it's an amenity provided by the cruise line.

For the amount of time that I put into the average booking and the expenses involved in booking it, that's not as much as you might think. Why do I do it? Truthfully, because I LOVE it. There's no other industry that I've found that gives me as much personal satisfaction. To some extent we're all sales people -- everyone sells something, be it a product or themselves and they're ideas. If you're going to sell something, you might as well sell dreams. That's what cruises are to many people -- dreams that come true (let's not go to the nightmare category, lol). I also love this industry. I get up in the morning WANTING to go to work. I'm not sure how many people enjoy that privilege of wanting to go to work, but I plan to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Well said.

The most commen way to earn an OBC is either having your TA book you into an existing group within the agency or if you have accumalated OBC's with your past guest status/pre-booking onboard. I know that Princess has one of the best programs out there for repeat guests. I have earned OBC's for no reason and Princess has honored them even though they couldn't explain how I or my clients have earned them. I've learned to not ask so many questions.

Personally, I do not discount anything from my commissions. 1. It's illegal with most if not all cruise lines. If you are caught they could punish you a couple different ways. 2. Contrary to popular belief - we do not make GREAT money!! I am able to be an agent because it's what I love to do and my husband is the primary breadwinner. If you are an agency owner, you'll make far more but they get a decent cut!!!

I agree that TA's don't make that much money per booking unless you have a lot of clients booking the most expensive cabins.

Also curious to know which cruiselines won't allow discounting.

I know CCL, Princess, and HAL, allow them and DCL, and RCI don't. How about the others?

Bill

Transferred my back to back bookings back to Princess from a TA.

Government Fees TA $106.15, Princess $87.63

Second Cruise Government Fees TA $122.25 ,Princess $89.75

I gained $51,.02 cents on Government Fees by switching back to Princess.

Also gained $16 on cabin fares Totals = $61.00 that i gained by switching back.

Also additional $25 OBC

Transferred my back to back bookings back to Princess from a TA.

Government Fees TA $106.15, Princess $87.63

Second Cruise Government Fees TA $122.25 ,Princess $89.75

I gained $51,.02 cents on Government Fees by switching back to Princess.

Also gained $16 on cabin fares Totals = $61.00 that i gained by switching back.

Also additional $25 OBC

Please can a TA give me an answer to this.........?:confused:

Please can a TA give me an answer to this.........?:confused:

My answer is that it's just wrong and I would call my old travel agent on the carpet for it. There is NO way that profit should be part of government fees/taxes. It's wrong and I'm sure it must violate some cruise line policy. If a TA did that to me, it would BEYOND tick me off. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems quite deceptive. I would never trust someone who did that.

The only exception to the above is if government fees/taxes dropped. It's rare, but it does happen from time to time. It may be that your TA had just not re-invoiced you yet for the new amount. Perhaps he/she would have corrected this at final payment. I do not reinvoice clients every single time that taxes/fees go up -- if I did, I'd be reinvoicing constantly. They usually move around $3 or $4 every few months. I do try, however, to notify clients via email when I am made aware of the change (Princess does not always notify us in a timely manner and there's no way you can just randomly and routinely start checking on the taxes on all of your bookings). However, $50 is such a large difference that I find it hard to explain it away using this scenario.

This is Diamond Princess Voyage M835 and M836 (travel solo)

After I was quoted these prices plus I have a paper copy the TA never informed me in any way that
the Government fees had been lowered.
It was only on transfer day to Princess that I got the lower rates.

[B]Amen DD[/B] - I couldn't had said it better myself. I an a TA here in the Midwest and I don't usually run into anyone wanting something extra. We too have maxed out commissions with most cruise line but at the same time, with my cut it's hard to provide clients with an extra gift. Luckily my clients are amazing and just the honest work that I put into their vacation is enough to satisfy them. In fact, I just arranged a trip for some past clients and they came in today and brough my a plant with a gift certificate for a local salon! Without the gifts, it's just nice to see someone appreciate the time and effort I put into their booking and not expect extra goodies in return. My clients are the reason why I am a TA, they are amazing!!! :D

[quote name='rjg41'][B][COLOR=blue]"Personally, I do not discount anything from my commissions. 1. It's illegal with most if not all cruise lines. If you are caught they could punish you a couple different ways."[/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#0000ff]If the OBC is not offered by the cruise line, it does come from the agent's commission for often does, just as most discounts. do. Agents cannot discount, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, and Regent(special case). All the rest they can.[/COLOR][/quote]

Maybe I'm just not as aware of discounting and rebating commissions for OBC's.. Naive that it doesn't happen here..
I just wish that things were more on a level playing field. I personally believe that if you have to rely on discounting, etc...that you should hone your customer service skills and make the client see what an asset you are to their vacation. *If that makes sense, it's been a long day!*

[quote name='cruisegal320']Maybe I'm just not as aware of discounting and rebating commissions for OBC's.. Naive that it doesn't happen here..
I just wish that things were more on a level playing field. I personally believe that if you have to rely on discounting, etc...that you should hone your customer service skills and make the client see what an asset you are to their vacation. *If that makes sense, it's been a long day!*[/QUOTE]

I asked you a question in post #36. Maybe you missed it.

If you have time could you get back to me please.:)

TIA

Bill

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']I agree that TA's don't make that much money per booking unless you have a lot of clients booking the most expensive cabins.

Also curious to know which cruiselines won't allow discounting.

I know CCL, Princess, and HAL, allow them and DCL, and RCI don't. How about the others?

Bill[/quote]

I'm sorry Bill, in my sleepy stupor I skipped over your question.

To my knowledge RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara have all made a stand that if they find a travel agency to be discounting commissions to compete then they will take actions against your agency. I'm not sure if there is a warning or if they take your booking priveledges away right then and there. You'll get into trouble with Carnival if they find out you are advertising a lower rate. I wish the others would follow suit. I'm a bit suprised that they haven't because usually either RCCL or CCL will start the movement and then everyone else follows them.

Why mine dropped price.
I was on a group booking with the TA as a solo one.
I suppose this will have to remain as one of the worlds mysteries.:confused:
I am pleased because I am paying $60 less now have transferred back to Princess , and have additional $25 OBC.:)

[quote name='cruisegal320']I'm sorry Bill, in my sleepy stupor I skipped over your question.

To my knowledge RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara have all made a stand that if they find a travel agency to be discounting commissions to compete then they will take actions against your agency. I'm not sure if there is a warning or if they take your booking priveledges away right then and there. You'll get into trouble with Carnival if they find out you are advertising a lower rate. I wish the others would follow suit. I'm a bit suprised that they haven't because usually either RCCL or CCL will start the movement and then everyone else follows them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.:)

Kruisey,

There are a lot of variables in play here as far as I can see. How long ago did you book? Have the prices changed since yopu booked? Have any ports been dropped since you booked?

Bill

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.:)

Kruisey,

There are a lot of variables in play here as far as I can see. How long ago did you book? Have the prices changed since yopu booked? Have any ports been dropped since you booked?

Bill[/QUOTE]
None of the ports are dropped.Updated copy was sent to me by TA in February.Transfer to Princess April 01

Archived