kettles on Independance of thre Seas

I'm a typical Brit and love a cup of tea first thing in the morning. Am I allowed to bring a travel kettle with me to make my own.

If not any suggestions as to how I can get a cup first thing in the morning?

Can I preorder it for a chosen time?:)

I think that Room Service starts at 6:00 am but it could be 7:00 am. I am not sure.

Somewhere on every RCI Ship is a place with 24/7 coffee and hot water. On our recent Radiance cruise it was just outside the Windjammer, on the Mariner it was at the café on the promenade.

They had an assortment of tea bags there our you can bring your favorite.

Debs

If you're like me, you want boiling water to pour over a teabag, not a pot of hot water that wasn't boiling to start with. It is one thing I miss when I visit the states.

I've also wondered about bringing on a travel kettle or jug. They provide them in the more expensive suites so it shouldn't be a fire issue.

I would imagine that you are NOT allowed to bring a kettle with you - it has a heating element, which is why they ban travel irons and (by some accounts lately) travel steamers. It's not that they want to deprive you of tea, but they are really, really concerned about the risk of fire from a heating element that malfunctions or is left on.

I could not find any info to say I couldn't bring a kettle. I would not want to pose a fire risk, but really do not want to walk somewhere to get tea as I might aswell go to the dining room. I like to have a cup of tea in my PJ,s in bed in the morning if I get chance(I am on holiday after all). 7am might be a bit late when going on a trip?

Wonder why they have them on Asia trips. They should have them when sailing out of UK to keep us Brits from being cranky in the morning

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=759173&highlight=coffie

Hi Deb

I'm not sure if this works but I've tried to enter the link to the thread with the pics of the kettle and other relevant discussions.

Julie

Thanks Julie ,link worked great. Sounds like they will bring you a pot of tea in the morning which will be fine for me. Will save packing my kettle:)

But the Grand Suites have a small kettle and french press provided - an earlier thread has a picture. Also they are putting kettles in the RCI ships sailing in Asia. What is the difference?
The difference is that when they provide them they can control how old they are, what condition they are in, what wattage they draw, whether they have auto shut off, etc.

Coffee makers are explicitly banned from being brought on board, I doubt saying "No, it's not a coffee maker it's a tea kettle" would make much difference to them.

Debs

If you're like me, you want boiling water to pour over a teabag, not a pot of hot water that wasn't boiling to start with. It is one thing I miss when I visit the states.

I've also wondered about bringing on a travel kettle or jug. They provide them in the more expensive suites so it shouldn't be a fire issue.

We are just of the Voyager in a Grand Suite. Yes the cabin had a pot to boil water, but it was not a "normal" kettle. There is a tray that the kettle sits on. The tray is what is plugged in. The kettle then has to fit in the "slot" that was made for it in order for it to work. It also will turn itself off.

We are just of the Voyager in a Grand Suite. Yes the cabin had a pot to boil water, but it was not a "normal" kettle. There is a tray that the kettle sits on. The tray is what is plugged in. The kettle then has to fit in the "slot" that was made for it in order for it to work. It also will turn itself off.

I use an old GE kettle to boil water for tea at home. On the ships, the kettle that sits on it's own stand is very similar to the new ones that have a base, and also have auto shutoff when the water boils.

I should add that this is for Grand Suites and above.

Rick

The difference is that when they provide them they can control how old they are, what condition they are in, what wattage they draw, whether they have auto shut off, etc.

Coffee makers are explicitly banned from being brought on board, I doubt saying "No, it's not a coffee maker it's a tea kettle" would make much difference to them.

Interesting. I had no idea they had them in suites. I suppose an electric kettle is safer than a coffee maker because it shuts off after it's done boiling, where a coffee maker just stays on keeping the coffee hot indefinitely (or until the coffee is a little dark smear in the bottom of the carafe like happens in my office).

We have this type at home and love it. It turns off by itself and you can lift the top off so you don't have to juggle a cord when pouring the water. Works great!

Here is a picture of what is in the GS on Voyager. And my husband thought I was crazy for taking this picture. :rolleyes:

P1000351.jpg

IMG%5D

This kettle is exactly the same as the one we had on the Rhapsody (asia cruise) and i have remembered the cabin number, it was 7554. We did not have the coffee maker, just the kettle.

In the case on board the ship.

-Open the packet of coffee and pour it into the French Press

-Pour the boiling water slowly over the coffee. Stir just enough to make sure all of the coffee is wet. (some coffee will float)

-Replace the lid and plunger (make sure the plunger is pulled all the way up, do not push the coffee down)

-Let the coffee sit in the water for 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you like it.

-After the coffee sites, push the plunger down slowly

-Pour coffee

How to use a French Press.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/FrenchPress.htm

It makes great coffee. Much better than the Windjammer.

In the case on board the ship.

-Open the packet of coffee and pour it into the French Press

-Pour the boiling water slowly over the coffee. Stir just enough to make sure all of the coffee is wet. (some coffee will float)

-Replace the lid and plunger (make sure the plunger is pulled all the way up, do not push the coffee down)

-Let the coffee sit in the water for 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you like it.

-After the coffee sites, push the plunger down slowly

-Pour coffee

Thanks! It's amazing the things I learn on Cruise Critic.

I may buy myself one of those classy gadgets to use at home instead of my boring Mr Coffee Drip Machine!

Archived