Ecstasy Cat 12

sharkaymon

i too will have a cat. 12 on the ecstacy (on 23 dec out of galveston). although i haven't seen one up close and personal, the technical answer to your question can be found at www.cruisestateroom.com and is as follows:

Cat. 11

On Decks: Verandah

Large private balcony, twin beds convert to king, TV, shower

(Staterooms V23, V25, V27, V34, V38 and V42 have partially obstructed views).

Average Size: 220 sq ft + balcony 30 sq ft.

Cat. 12:

On Decks: Upper

Large private balcony, twin beds convert to king, TV, shower.

Average Size: 330 sq ft + balcony 70 sq ft.

i guess the first question is how many folks will be sharing your cabin. my DH & two DS's will be sailing with me and i just knew we would need the extra 110 sf. in addition, i especially liked the fact that the cat. 12 were midship on a lower level -- it should be less likely for my kids to get seasick -- as opposed to the cat. 11 that are on the verandah deck towards the end of the ship where there could be more motion. i think i have read that some of the aft suites have humongous balconies (much larger than the 30 sf as noted above); thus, if there is only one or two in your cabin, that could be a selling point (the view is supposed to be spectacular). conversely for me, i don't expect my kids (3 & 6) to spend extraordinary amounts of time on the balcony (they'll probably be playing with their toys, watching movies or sleeping when in the cabin). therefore, 70 sf of balcony should be just wonderful for my hubby and me.

i'll let folks who have actually sailed on the ecstacy speak to the size of the bathrooms of the two categories, the size of the sitting areas, and the decor (however, remember that while the ecstacy is in drydock in freeport, tx, it's supposed to be "refurbished." does this mean that she'll get new linens, new carpet or new decorations? i'll tell you after i get back in december!).

i hope this helps at least a little --

Just returned from a cruise in a category 12 on Elation, & according to Carnival brochure, the Ectasy & Elation are the same class ship. The additional space was absolutely wonderful. There is a small walk-in closet with both good hanging & shelf space. There is a large vanity space with an additional 8 drawers for storage twin beds & night stand. There was a large sectional sofa, 1 coffee table, another table,2 arm chairs, a small fridge & tv with vcr. The bathroom was a nice size & had a whirlpool tub. The balcony was a nice size & had 1 lounge chair, 1 smaller chair & a table. The only problem with the cabin was the terribly stained carpet & the whirlpool didn't work. However, we got a really good price & I'm not complaining, plus problems like that probably vary widely, depending on the room you're assigned. Have a great cruise!

We are considering a Sept 2005 cruise on Ecstasy in a Cat 12 stateroom. Would appreciate any comments on these cabins or Cat 11 cabins. :D

I had a cat 12 for 4 of us on a Fantasy class ship and I would not spend the money again.I would rather take 2 cruises in a cat4a instead.Sure you get more space,and some more bells and whistles,but I just can't justify the cost in our situation. If you are someone who needs a window or a Balcony then this might be something for you.

Steve

We are booked in a cat 12 penthouse suite on the Ecstasy out of Galveston March 7. I chose this because we are taking our 2 DS' and it is our first cruise. It is larger sq. ft. wise then many other cruise lines. I didnt know that the ship was in freeport, tx. I guess I assumed there was a freeport in another state. I dont live that far from freeport....maybe 45 min. so I just might drive down there this weekend and see if I can find the ecstasy. Oh BTW......I was told that some cat. 11 suites have obstructed or partially obstructed views.

We loved our Cat. 12 on the Imagination (sister ship). Don't waste your money on a Cat. 11. Either go with the Cat. 12 or stick with a standard oceanview. I don't think the Cat. 11's are worth it. Not much larger than the standard cabin, and the balcony is really small. But the Cat. 12 is very nice and roomy, and the balcony is 75 sq. ft.

Hey Aggieastrosfan! How bout them Astros? And Texans too? Yeah team! I live in Deer Park so we are big Houston fans. I looked at your pics of the cat 12 cabin and I cant wait! I wanted to ask you if the bar area comes with any glasses? If we bring champagne or wine will we have anything to put it in?

Great pictures aggieastrosfan - thanks! I'll be in a cat 12 next week on Sensation. Did the mini fridge get cold enough for sodas and water? More importantly did it keep the wine and champagne cold enough? ;)

I have stayed in a Category 12 room eight times: (Carnivale, Ecstasy, Truimph, Fantasy, Pride, & Sensation, Conquest & Glory). The Cat. 12 cabin in the Fantasy Class is just Ok compared to the Destiny Class and Spirit Class. There are no obstructed views (CAT. 12) on the Fantasy and Destiny Class. There are some partially obstructed views on the Spirit Class. I have no idea about the Holiday Class.

Don't forget about the Skipper's Club!

Cat. 12 (Fantasy Class including the Ecstasy)

Suites:

* The cabin dimension is 14' x 23 1/2'; the balcony is 14' x 5'

* 18" television

* VCR with remote control

* bar area (not stocked)

* refrigerator (not stocked)

* combination shower/whirlpool/bathtub

* sitting area consists of an L-shaped couch (seats 5), two chairs, and a coffee table.

* twin beds that convert to king

* walk-in closet with plenty of hangers and space

* wall safe in closet is 6"w x 4.5"h x 5"l

* The verandah patio consists of one lounge, two chairs and a small table.

Cabin door to balcony does not stay open on its own.

Hey Aggieastrosfan! How bout them Astros? And Texans too? Yeah team! I live in Deer Park so we are big Houston fans. I looked at your pics of the cat 12 cabin and I cant wait! I wanted to ask you if the bar area comes with any glasses? If we bring champagne or wine will we have anything to put it in?
I'm so excited about my team! :D If I wasn't going gambling in Louisiana this weekend, I'd be planning my trip to the Juice Box this weekend instead of selling my tickets...

The bar area was plenty stocked with champagne glasses, wine glasses, hi-ball glasses, etc, all the same kind they serve drinks in in the public areas. However, our cabin steward never restocked them. Wasn't an issue for us, as we didn't use that many, and hopefully won't be an issue for you, as your guy/gal will keep them replenished. I believe there were about 4 of each type.

Did the mini fridge get cold enough for sodas and water? More importantly did it keep the wine and champagne cold enough?
We had no problem with the temperature of sodas,water, and wine, besides the fact we were glad we took the 8 oz cans instead of the regular 12 oz - we were able to squeeze more "ounces" into the fridge as a result. The champagne we brought (some leftover Korbel from a party) didn't fit in the fridge, so we had to use the ice bucket.

Cabin door to balcony does not stay open on its own.
I don't know about the other Fantasy-class ships, but on the Elation, there was a hook on the back of the door to hold it open. When you swung the door all the way open, there was a hook on the top outer corner of the door that slid into a corresponding ring on the outside wall. Again, can't speak for other Fantasy-class, but I would assume if the Elation had it, the Paradise probably has it as well. Not sure about the older ships, but sounds like no since Host Terry's been on a couple of them.

Extra side note - if you don't have a whirlpool tub at home, use the tub. If you do have one at home, it's nothing to write home about - just a standard sized tub with some jets in it. Its real value (for me, anyway) was in the extra shower space. :)

i'm originally from san francisco so i'm not feelin' much love right now...:(

If you were a Cubbie, I wouldn't care (;) ), but I have no beef against SF, Bonds is actually quite a player to watch. I was at the All-Star game this year, and I was quite embarassed at the way most of the fans acted towards Bonds, Sosa, etc.

May the best team win next year!

Archived