FREEPORT Cave Beach??????

juneburke

My husband was just told about "Cave beach" in Freeport. Has any one heard of this location? evidently you have to do some climbing, and you come out of the cave to the beach and it's said to have like a 3ft shelf like 15ft out. I have not heard of this place, so if any body knows what i am talking about please give me all the info you have.

My husband was just told about "Cave beach" in Freeport. Has any one heard of this location? evidently you have to do some climbing, and you come out of the cave to the beach and it's said to have like a 3ft shelf like 15ft out. I have not heard of this place, so if any body knows what i am talking about please give me all the info you have.

There are some "caves" in a park area. Check this out:

http://www.geographia.com/grandbahama/lucayan.htm

I'm not sure this is what you are talking about but are the only ones I know of.

• 4 weeks later...
The national park sounds wonderful, but the info I found said it's 25 miles east of Freeport. Do you have any idea how expensive a cab would be to go there? We are only in Freeport from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

I would check and see if the cruise line has an excursion there. A cab would be expensive... you can rent a car but remember that it will take you most likely an hour to get there and another coming back. Most people who do this are staying for several days and go several other places on the way. Bishops is out that way and has the best Conch fritters ever! Unless the cruise has something or you find a cab that does it I would look for something else.

Thanks bobsfamily! It's what I thought, and the ship has no excursion there. I'm terrified of missing the ship--on previous cruises I've watched people made the last-minute dash. Frankly I'd rather keep my blood pressure down ;)

In Freeport we'll probably just go to Port Lucaya and shop a bit and then get a day pass for using Our lucaya's/Westin/Sheraton's beach for awhile.

DH and DD (9 years old) simply want to go snorkling. Being her first time I've suggested doing it off a beach, either in Freeport or Nassau (where we're spending a few days). If she doesn't like it she can still play. If they're on a boat she's stuck sitting there until the boat leaves.

I've spent weeks pouring over this site's boards and other sites to find something that's reasonably priced, so non-snorkler me can go along to take pictures and watch them. We're on a "budget trip" this year.

They do have their own gear, BTW.

My Nassau boat snorkling options are taking a tour from the diving hut at the British Colonial hotel; or a Stuarts cove trip with the three stops.

The best beach option I see so far is just going to the Wyndham Nassau resort, $15 pp day pass. There were a few online comments that the water's calm and they've snorkled there. No mention of seeing anything ;)

The ship has a few tours to blackbeard's cay, but after reading the posts it sounds like the snorkling really just consists of stingrays.

Thanks for all of your posts. You've given a lot of good advice across the boards!

Thanks bobsfamily! It's what I thought, and the ship has no excursion there. I'm terrified of missing the ship--on previous cruises I've watched people made the last-minute dash. Frankly I'd rather keep my blood pressure down ;)

In Freeport we'll probably just go to Port Lucaya and shop a bit and then get a day pass for using Our lucaya's/Westin/Sheraton's beach for awhile.

DH and DD (9 years old) simply want to go snorkling. Being her first time I've suggested doing it off a beach, either in Freeport or Nassau (where we're spending a few days). If she doesn't like it she can still play. If they're on a boat she's stuck sitting there until the boat leaves.

I've spent weeks pouring over this site's boards and other sites to find something that's reasonably priced, so non-snorkler me can go along to take pictures and watch them. We're on a "budget trip" this year.

They do have their own gear, BTW.

My Nassau boat snorkling options are taking a tour from the diving hut at the British Colonial hotel; or a Stuarts cove trip with the three stops.

The best beach option I see so far is just going to the Wyndham Nassau resort, $15 pp day pass. There were a few online comments that the water's calm and they've snorkled there. No mention of seeing anything ;)

The ship has a few tours to blackbeard's cay, but after reading the posts it sounds like the snorkling really just consists of stingrays.

Thanks for all of your posts. You've given a lot of good advice across the boards!

You mention British colonial - I understand they have day passes also. What do you think of their beach/location etc.. Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure that Westin has day passes, but most people seem to have no problem doing the beach without it.

Check out this web:

http://www.superiorwatersports.com/snorkel.htm

Archived