Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

they should keep it formal....and try to enforce that in the dining room....getting very lax......last cruise could not beleive how some people dressed......

not sure if we are in the majority or minority..but.....crusing not only gives us the cahnce to be together but also a chance to "gussy" up, something that we rarely (at least DH + I ) do at home.....love the pics....now DH has never worn a tux but 2 of my DS's have.....

I agree, last year we were VERY surprised with what people got away with wearing in the dining room, both regular and formal nights.

We rarely get to dress very formally, except for a rare wedding and the cruises is something I look forward to..dh doesn't mind as I thought he might. It's nice to see other couples making the effort. It changes the atmosphere around you. I love to see little ones in their "Sunday best" as well.

I've only done "formal" once, otherwise, I'd consider our dress "elegant" already. Suit and tie for the dh and my boys, and fancier dresses for the girls and I. I only wore a "formal" one time(short taffeta dress and gloves, that was a LONG time ago). So, I don't think anything will change for us. We already tone it down a little just because we don't travel often enough to justify a formal, but I wanted something I could wear to a fancier wedding or holiday event.

Carnival has unconditionally surrendered to Slobobia without a fight. Since non-enforcement has long been Carnival's MO, any token enforcement of the relaxed "Elegant" [Ha!] rules will soon deteriorate into chaos in the dining room [maybe it will become the dinning room]. So I can no longer seen the use in bothering to bring anything other than old workshop clothes. They want casual, I'll give them casual. But only on the soon to be rare times I again cruise Carnival. Cruised all the other lines before, just add one more cruise on all of them and there's no more room for Carnival.

In case anybody missed it. I'm really pissed.

Dan

We will be in formal attire on Formal nights. I will not change that no matter what. I am disappointed that Carnival has changed it, even if it is just a bit. I love wearing formal wear as we do not do that when we are at home. I also like to dress up on the other nights. The dinning room is so lovely, the tables are set so eloquently that I like to show respect and dress accordingly.

Could not have said it better. We will continue to observe "formal night" and dress accordingly. I won't go so far as to agree with the lowest common demoninator comment but it is disappointing that CCL doesn't want to maintain a simple dress code on 1 or 2 nights.

Carnival has unconditionally surrendered to Slobobia without a fight. Since non-enforcement has long been Carnival's MO, any token enforcement of the relaxed "Elegant" [Ha!] rules will soon deteriorate into chaos in the dining room [maybe it will become the dinning room]. So I can no longer seen the use in bothering to bring anything other than old workshop clothes. They want casual, I'll give them casual. But only on the soon to be rare times I again cruise Carnival. Cruised all the other lines before, just add one more cruise on all of them and there's no more room for Carnival.

In case anybody missed it. I'm really pissed.

Dan

:eek:

Dan!!

Am I going to disagree with you after all these years of worshiping your every post????????????????? :eek:

Don't give in to it....hold your head high and walk in that dining room dressed wonderfully as you usually do.

We will continue to attend one formal night as usual on Carnival. Suits and cocktail dresses for our pics:D That's what the majority has always worn on our cruises. Or we might just do like we did on our Elation cruise last summer and bypass the dining room all together so we can eat on our time:D

Why is one considered a slob if they are not wearing formal wear? I think that's a bit extreme.. Also wearing a suit is not formal wear, its a suit;)

Same as most men wear to the office...

Not being formal does not constitute a slob. Dan's just been in a pissy mood lately:D

If any of the men wore a suit at my office.........it would be considered formal lol!

Formal, elegant, extra special dress-up night, whatever they call it, Yep we'll be participating. Black suit, not necessarily tux, with tuxedo shirt and tie for the hubby, and tea length or longer dress for me, sparkles and all! This will be our son's first cruise and he's looking forward to dressing up, as are his friends. (BTW they're 20 and 21.)

Not being formal does not constitute a slob. Dan's just been in a pissy mood lately:D

If any of the men wore a suit at my office.........it would be considered formal lol!

I hear you! You should see what they wear in my office..

We will be in Long gown and tux .. and since we are taking our adult kids and spouses .. so will they. I don't get any other occasion to dress in that manner and hubby is nice enough to go along (he says "Happy Wife Happy Life" a lot ) and will be taking his tux. The kids will do what mom wants because she is paying for the cruise. So we will all look glorious and have lovely photo memories.

Hi,

I really don't care what other folks to wear. I don't judge them on their dress (or lack thereof) on formal night. I personally will continue the custom of a tux on formal nights and perhaps a white dinner jacket for the captain's dinner.

I rent both outfits and pick them up aboard ship. I am losing a lot of weight (from 330 to 267 now), so buying makes no sense. By Sept. 2008, I hope to be in the 230's. Second reason; less bulk to pack and with airlines charging more for a second suitcase, less is better!

I also like having our pictures taken in formal wear!

Lee

Hi,

I really don't care what other folks to wear. I don't judge them on their dress (or lack thereof) on formal night. I personally will continue the custom of a tux on formal nights and perhaps a white dinner jacket for the captain's dinner.

I rent both outfits and pick them up aboard ship. I am losing a lot of weight (from 330 to 267 now), so buying makes no sense. By Sept. 2008, I hope to be in the 230's. Second reason; less bulk to pack and with airlines charging more for a second suitcase, less is better!

I also like having our pictures taken in formal wear!

Lee

Congrats on the weight loss!!!!!!

Dan

Dan,

Hard to believe, but I found that Celebrity Cruises has a "dinning room"!:D It's on their website! We were actually thinking of trying another line due to the fact that it seems that "formal night" is a thing of the past. When I saw this, I figured why spend the extra money when they can't even spell! I called them and asked them to convince me that I should cruise with them. I also wrote them an email regarding their website. All they asked me to do was find it for them, so they could correct it!!:confused: I'm not their webmaster....Need I say that it's still there...We'll stay with Carnival, and we will still dress for dinner every night, a tux, and suit for husband, and fancy formal dresses for me. :)

Heck yes. DH will be in dark suit/tie, & I'll have cocktail dress.

Maybe everyone else is really rich and dresses like this all the time. ;) We don't so we like to dress up for dinner on the formal nights.

Ditto

Archived