Discovery Scuba

jag27

I am signed up for the Discovery Scuba excursion on my Princess sailing on May 26th while we are in Grand Turk. I know this is for non-certified divers (like myself), but wanted to get some details? Do you wear all the equipement? How far down do you dive to?

I am signed up for the Discovery Scuba excursion on my Princess sailing on May 26th while we are in Grand Turk. I know this is for non-certified divers (like myself), but wanted to get some details? Do you wear all the equipement? How far down do you dive to?

Jag27,

Discovery Scuba is defined by PADI (see http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/dsddetail.aspx for details).

They will provide all the necessary gear. You might have to pay extra for a wetsuit.

They will typically take you to 20 feet deep. The maximum depth will be 40 feet. To ensure this they will take you to a location where the water is a limited depth. If you think you want to go deep, change your mind. The deeper you go the darker it is. You will not see much. Additionally, the most interesting and colourful life is around 30 feet deep. As a certified diver I almost never go below 60 feet. More than half my dives are above 40 feet.

The whole procedure will be, you'll meet the dive master onboard the ship (usually down near the customer service desk) before the ship docks. He/she will take everyone as a group on shore and hand you off to a local dive shop (LDS) operator.

When you first get on the ship they will give you a form asking for your sizes (shoe size for the fins, jacket size for the BCD, etc.). Some LDS will have a boat meet you with all the equipment onboard. Others will take the group to the shop and get everyone geared up.

Once everyone has their gear they will take you to a pool or confined water area. They will teach you the basics of scuba dive. For example, NEVER hold your breath. You'll practice using the equipment in the confined water. Once everyone is comfortable, they will take you out to the open water. You will basically do the same diving someone like me would do. The only difference is that there must be a dive instructor present to help everyone (I can dive without an instructor or dive master).

Bottom line, they should take care of everything for you. The only thing I would recommend is asking about a wetsuit. The water will probably be 80 to 85 degrees. The human body is 97 degrees. For one dive you will not NEED a wetsuit but if you wear a wetsuit you will be a little warmer when you get out of the water.

Most shops charge $10 for a wetsuit rental.

Jag27,

Discovery Scuba is defined by PADI (see http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/dsddetail.aspx for details).

They will provide all the necessary gear. You might have to pay extra for a wetsuit.

They will typically take you to 20 feet deep. The maximum depth will be 40 feet. To ensure this they will take you to a location where the water is a limited depth. If you think you want to go deep, change your mind. The deeper you go the darker it is. You will not see much. Additionally, the most interesting and colourful life is around 30 feet deep. As a certified diver I almost never go below 60 feet. More than half my dives are above 40 feet.

The whole procedure will be, you'll meet the dive master onboard the ship (usually down near the customer service desk) before the ship docks. He/she will take everyone as a group on shore and hand you off to a local dive shop (LDS) operator.

When you first get on the ship they will give you a form asking for your sizes (shoe size for the fins, jacket size for the BCD, etc.). Some LDS will have a boat meet you with all the equipment onboard. Others will take the group to the shop and get everyone geared up.

Once everyone has their gear they will take you to a pool or confined water area. They will teach you the basics of scuba dive. For example, NEVER hold your breath. You'll practice using the equipment in the confined water. Once everyone is comfortable, they will take you out to the open water. You will basically do the same diving someone like me would do. The only difference is that there must be a dive instructor present to help everyone (I can dive without an instructor or dive master).

Bottom line, they should take care of everything for you. The only thing I would recommend is asking about a wetsuit. The water will probably be 80 to 85 degrees. The human body is 97 degrees. For one dive you will not NEED a wetsuit but if you wear a wetsuit you will be a little warmer when you get out of the water.

Most shops charge $10 for a wetsuit rental.

Thank you for the info! I just wasn't sure if it would like a regular dive. My FI is certified and he is trying to get me certified, so I'm taking this oppurtunity to see if like it before I invest in a course and equipment.

Thank you for the info! I just wasn't sure if it would like a regular dive. My FI is certified and he is trying to get me certified, so I'm taking this oppurtunity to see if like it before I invest in a course and equipment.

Excellent thinking.

I frequently see people going to a local dive shop, the shop owner is more interested in selling equipment than anything else. He convinces the person to buy everything, e.g. buy all your equipment with training and you get it half price. First day in the pool he learns he doesn't like scuba diving. Goes to return the equipment and the shop says, "We cannot take that back, its been used." Checking the receipt he notices the refund instructions clearly state no refunds if the equipment is used.

Scuba diving is not for everyone but if you do like it it can become quite addictive. :D

Hi,

It should also be mentioned that you should be in decent physical condition. You will be swimming, abet slowly for around 1/2 hour. In addition, you'll have to fill out a health release. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, bad back, sinus issues, or other cronic diseases you'll need a letter from your doctor saying they approve you diving. I've seen some people get turned away because they didn't realize they had to have the doctor's authorization (if in doubt, ask your doctor for one before you leave). Assuming you're healthy, you'll really enjoy it! Grand Turk is one of my favorite dive locations and the fish are abundant (watch for turtles, they're everywhere there). :D

Randall

Archived