beach resort

patience32

Hi am i right in thinking if bonaires beaches are public could i just walk into the plaza place my towel on the beach and not use the pools or loungers.and avoid paying the 20 dollar each charge many thanks:)

You could probably get away with it but it may not be a very nice thing to do.

Beaches on Bonaire are not all public as they are on some islands. The beach you are talking about is the private property of the Plaza resort. Since sandy beaches are extremely rare on Bonaire most resorts have to import the sand at great expense for the pleasure of their guests.

That being said, the resorts on the island (with the exception of Captain Don's) have an open dock policy. As a gesture of goodwill and comradeship they will allow anyone to dive or snorkel from their dock. As a courtesy you should always stop in at the dive shop and ask permission first. Some places request that you sign a release, some just say "Welcome."

I think if hordes of cruise ship passengers started arriving and camping out on their beach these feelings of goodwill would head south in a hurry.

Sorry if this is rambling. The moral of the story - if you want to snorkel make a courtesy call to the dive shop first. If you want a beach day the right thing to do would be to pay the $20 or take a cab to one of the public beaches. :)

Archived