LAX, Redondo Beach, Monarch of the Seas

Bell Ringer

We want to fly in to LAX, Aug. 2 for a wedding on Aug. 3, then take the cruise on the Monarch leaving Aug.4. Does that plan make a car rental a necessity? If we rent at LAX, must we return the car to the airport and then retrace our trip by cab to the cruise pier, or is there a drop off place near the pier? Having only rented a car once in our life for a trip, I guess you could say I am clueless! Any other suggestions for our plan would be appreciated!:confused:

Where is the wedding? That may determine whether or not you need a car.

Depending on the agency you use, you might want to rent at LAX with a one-way rental with drop off at Enterprise (San Pedro) or most of the other "majors" at the Long Beach Airport and then take a cab or shuttle from there (cheaper than LAX), but a lot of it would depend on where you will be visiting before your cruise and what direction you are coming from when going toward San Pedro.

Just keep in mind that many car rental agencies have an extra fee for one way rentals (often $25++) so you need to factor this into your decision. A cab from LAX to San Pedro runs about $55, a shuttle will run you about $17/person.

We will be staying 2 nights in Redondo Beach at either the Best Western Sunrise or Portofino Hotel and Yacht Club, so it looks like that is about 1/2 way. It also looks like they are very close to each other.(?)

I believe the family will have transportation for the guests to the wedding events, but I was worried about returning the car to LAX on Monday morning and then turning around to find a way to get to the pier. Suggestions will certainly be appreciated.:confused:

Depending on the rates, I'd recommend renting from Enterprise. It will give you more flexibility if you want to go out to dinner or see some sights in between wedding-related activities. Then you can drop the car in San Pedro (Enterprise has moved its facility there to the Crowne Plaza Hotel, by the way) and take the shuttle to the port. I don't know whether Enterprise runs its own shuttle or you would use the CP's now.

There may be less costly (in terms of dollars) alternatives, but it would probably take you twice as long to go to either airport and then find transportation to the pier. I'd rather spend a few more dollars and spend the saved time having some fun!

August 2007 we landed at LAX and rented a car from budget. Spent a few days in Anaheim doing all the tourist things and ended our trip on the Monarch for the three day cruise.. It was cheaper and way easier for us to park the rental at the port and pay the parking for a few days then it would have been paying for cabs. Anyhow it worked really great. We returned car and they drove us to the airport with plenty of time...no problems... hope this helps..

It looks like you have been on many Monarch cruises. Any special suggestions for us?

I don't know what other RCI ships you've been on, but Monarch is a unique experience IMHO. She doesn't have a lot of the bells & whistles you find on todays Behemoths of the Seas, but she has the best crew we've encountered in the fleet and I always feel like a Queen when I sail her. I say just relax and go with the flow and you'll have a great time!

We have been on Song of America, Rhapsody OS, Adventure, Majesty ( which I expect is comparable), Vision, Voyager and most recently Empress. Loved them all. Easily pleased, and have been in everything from a closet sized inside to a balcony. Enjoy many of the activities, although this cruise is very port intesive, so may not go to the usual ship trivia, etc. as much.

Any suggestions on what not to miss?

I love to dance so we go to Bolero's a lot to hone our Latin dancing skills. There was also a Big Band session in there, but each CD does something different, so there's no telling what will be scheduled. There's also a disco in the Circuit lounge, but I'm less into that kind of dancing than the others.

As for the usual shipboard activities, I don't usually play trivia, although I have in the past and it was fun. And I'm not into the Sexy Legs or Bellyflop competitions, either. I seldom miss Quest, though, and have been known to play once in awhile.:rolleyes:

I always plan to curl up with a book and read, but somehow the days slip away from me and I only get a few pages read. I only got off the ship in San Diego because I had left my formal night dress at home, then found a nice sushi lunch. I stayed onboard in Catalina and Ensenada, but I do recommend the winery tour in Ensenada - it's fun, you learn a little history of the area and taste some nice enough wines and olive oils. Nothing spectacular, but a nice way to spend a day. There are tons of things to do in Catalina, including horseback riding, a tour to the interior of the island or just wandering around town.

We will be staying 2 nights in Redondo Beach at either the Best Western Sunrise or Portofino Hotel and Yacht Club, so it looks like that is about 1/2 way. It also looks like they are very close to each other.(?)

I believe the family will have transportation for the guests to the wedding events, but I was worried about returning the car to LAX on Monday morning and then turning around to find a way to get to the pier. Suggestions will certainly be appreciated.:confused:

Jumping in for a second to add info...

Yes, it is about halfway

Best Western Sunrise is across from the Redondo Beach Pier, so lots of restaurants and sights there. Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach is right next door. Portofino is close by car, but far to walk.

Just rent from Enterprise, and drive south on Sepulveda Blvd. which will become Pacific Coast Highway. Just veer right when you see the Big Redondo Beach sign.

Continue down PCH to get to the pier, and only hop on the Freeway at the last minute when it crosses right in front of you to get to San Pedro.

(You'll see this when you get there, can't miss it).

The thing that is so great about this route and areas you are going to be in, is that there is no need to ho on any of the big freeways. They will take you out of your way and not be any faster.

They will more often be slower.

By sticking to Sepulveda/PCH you will be nicer, calmer, see way better scenery (driving through the various beach towns) and get to and from faster.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

Enjoy!

Curt,

Would you recomend this route to the San Pedro DoubleTree from LAX. We have about 3 days in San Pedro before our Mariner cruise and plan on renting a car from enterprise and returning it locally.

Thanks,

Dave

Curt,

Would you recomend this route to the San Pedro DoubleTree from LAX. We have about 3 days in San Pedro before our Mariner cruise and plan on renting a car from enterprise and returning it locally.

Thanks,

Dave

Absolutely. (I probably should make an official map or something for you guys).

There are times (if it's mid day, mid week) that it's faster on the freeway.

But, that's rare. And especially if you have three days, there is an awful lot to see and do (Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, LAX, Marina Del Ray, Venice Beach, Santa Monica) up and down this corridor.

Not to mention it's a much calmer and more scenic drive.

I'd hop on the freeway if you were going to Disneyland area, or maybe Hollywood/Universal.

I drive all over every part of LA for work, so I tend to figure out shortcuts, and routes that are faster on a regular timed basis.

Not to mention routes that are more interesting to look at if you have to drive them several times.

I have a friend that grew up in LA and recently moved to Fort Worth, she says this is a very scenic route and to take our time, stop along the wayfor lunch. I want to visit the Wayfarees Chapel and other areas. This will be our first visit to the LA area and we are trying to make the most of it. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Archived