Cabin S vs. SS - Vista Class

Cindy-Sue

Happy Monday, everybody! We're looking at the Mexico cruise on the Oosterdam and are trying to decide if the extra cost for the "S" class is worth it. Also, which are the best "S" and "SS" cabins on the ship? Thanks for your input...it's appreciated!

Bon Voyage!

Cindy Sue :)

You mean aside from S's being 1/3 larger than SS's, having a larger sectional sofa, a King Bed instead of a Queen, a separate dressing room w/ more closet/storage space, larger TV and all the additional suite amenities, privileges and suite passenger's cocktail party that are not available to SS's???

Many folks will say that the 10 aft-corner S's (2 each on Decks 4-8) w/ large wrap around verandahs are the best - particularly for scenic and/or warm weather cruises, altho others dislike the far-aft location, slightly smaller interiors (as compared to other S's), and vast distance from the Neptune Lounge. Perhaps the best compromise is a Deck 7 aft-corner suite - although they tend to be amongst the first to book.

Pretty much everyone agrees that whether you go S or SS - to avoid the suites adjacent to the glass elevators, as folks can observe you lounging on your verandah as they pass up and down.

If the premium isn't that much - I'd say go for the S (especially if you'll be tendering into alot of ports and are an early riser who likes to get off the ship early in the am's), otherwise an SS is still a pretty nice place to be...

I think Brian did an excellent job of summarizing some of the pro's and con's. We had an S on the Ryndam (S class ship) and an SS on the Oosterdam. The SS on the Oosterdam was extremely comfortable for my wife and I. Lots of storage, great bathroom, and a nice verandah. As Brian correctly points out you don't get suite perks but I can't say we really noticed. If you can't get or decide against an S suite I think you'll find an SS "suite" more than acceptable. We like midships and were in SS 6060. Nice quiet cabin kind of midway between the elevator banks.

You'll find that "best" means different things to different people. We've booked an S "on the side" for the 1/22 O'dam sailing. My TA recommend an aft cabin (bigger verandah) but 6 chairs, 2 tables and 2 ottomans should hold my wife & myself fairly well without folks on the aft Lido deck staring down on us.

I really appreciated your help and opinions. Are any of you familiar with "SS" cabin #8094 on the Oosterdam? It looks like it has an extra large balcony on a corner, mid ship. I think that I'm leaning towards the "SS" category, I'll have to save up more the for the "S"!

Gracias...

Cindy Sue :)

If there's any problem at all with those "corner" cabins, and I personally think it is minor, it's that you're a bit more visible to all the other folks on their verandahs. I don't go out on the verandah and play peeping tom at my fellow cruisers but it was hard not to notice the folks in the "corner" cabin on my deck. We pretty much had the same schedule every morning and even got to waving "good morning" at each other. Anyhow, some folks are more sensitive about the privacy issue than others so I won't speak for them.....we'd not turn the cabin down as it appears to be a bit larger inside plus have the larger verandah.

I also vote for Senor Frogs. First time I went there was over 20 years ago and am still planning to go there when we are down there in March. My favorite was when they had us all stand on our seats and do "YMCA". Great fun! Great Margaritas and great oysters.

Archived