Euro Traveler's Checks

sharonmae

We will be cruising on the Emerald in October, doing the 19 day Med TA. Someone on our Roll Call suggested bringing euro traveler's checks and cashing them onboard the ship, receiving euros in return. This would be great as we wouldn't have to travel with lots of cash, wouldn't have to pay a fee for cashing and/or wouldn't have to waste time looking for banks who may or may not want to deal with TCs. But can it be done?? I thought Princess ships only deal in US dollars.

Any experienced cruiser want to comment??

I am not sure about the no fee for changing the euro checks. I have just returned from Italy and took euro checks, the fee for changing them was very high. They were in fact a nuisance and these days restaurants etc won't take them. I don't know whether ships do this differently, but I would never take euro-checks abroad again, I would just use my ATM card.

We will be cruising on the Emerald in October, doing the 19 day Med TA. Someone on our Roll Call suggested bringing euro traveler's checks and cashing them onboard the ship, receiving euros in return. This would be great as we wouldn't have to travel with lots of cash, wouldn't have to pay a fee for cashing and/or wouldn't have to waste time looking for banks who may or may not want to deal with TCs. But can it be done?? I thought Princess ships only deal in US dollars.

Any experienced cruiser want to comment??

No, the ship will not cash Euro TC's and give you Euros in return. What they will do is cash TC's and give you U.S. in return, which you must take to the exchange machine usually located by the Purser's Desk to exchange back to Euros. The Purser's Desk does not do the exchange for you on princess, but it must be done through the exchange machine. Definitely NOT a money making idea, it will cost you more in the long run.

This is what I have read and have been told, but one of my Roll Call buddies seems to think you can cash them onboard and receive euros with no hassles and no fees. I'm just checking with those with experience.

This is what I have read and have been told, but one of my Roll Call buddies seems to think you can cash them onboard and receive euros with no hassles and no fees. I'm just checking with those with experience.

If memory serves me correctly, back in 2000-2001, RCI had this service when we visited Australia/Asia. Princess though does not. Sorry!

Some will disagree, but this is what I did before our Med cruise.

I ordered the Euros we needed from our bank (usually takes up to a week for them to come in). I estimated about how much I would need. I then put all of the money in a waist bag under my clothing. The only way it could be lost or stolen was if they killed me first, and then I wouldn't care anyway if it was gone. ;) LOL

No problem at all. Only mistake I made this time was they gave me only larger bills which were a bit hard to cash right away, totally my fault as I didn't tell them which denominations I wanted, stupid me. They took up very little room and I barely knew I was wearing the waist belt. It was a much better exchange than trying to exchane onboard or at the airport.

I would just use my ATM card.
I agree! You don't need to carry around a lot of cash and there are ATMs everywhere.

Almost all stores and restaurants will accept Visa and MasterCard...some even take AmEx. With your credit cards and ATM card you will be just fine.

Lew

Archived