scuba classes

Tonyr

Hi Tony,

I just returned form a 10 day on the Voyager and did the PADI course. Be careful of one thing: The $249 price is for a "scuba diver" certification good for 40 feet only. The "real" open water certification is $150 additional. The first course has pool time for about 3 hrs., with an additional open water dive for about 3 more. There is also classroom for about 3 hrs. The classroom and pool times in no way affected any other activities or excursions (at least on my cruise), other than personal party time. The open water addition is another 3 hrs of pool, 3 of classroom, and 3 of another dive. The instructors were very good and patient. They DON'T want to see anyone fail, and spend as much time as necessary to help.

Hi there-

Hubby and I are doing the 12/5 sailing of the AOS and just did our Open Water Certification last week. We did the classes, pool work (pool was 15 feet deep), and open water dive here in Michigan. Having just completed everything, I can't even possibly imagine trying to do everything during your cruise. The biggest thing to remember is that you want to be completely comfortable and relaxed while diving, and the only way to be comfortable is to practice. The thought of cramming everything in to your cruise basically defeats the fun of a cruise.

Also note that the ship's pool work is only done in the ship's' pools, and there's a big difference between a ship's shallow pool and most land-based (read "deeper") pools (which local dive shops will use for your instruction). You really do want to do your pool work in a deeper pool so you get a feel for what you will need to know for ear pressure equilization, and also so you get a better idea of how to control you buoyancy. I can't even imagine going from an extrememly shallow ship's pool to the open ocean. I would also think that the level of training as well as one-on-one instructor time would not be as good as what you would encounter with a land-based program.

When I'm on my cruise in December, I want to relax, and enjoy the ships amenities as well as the islands and the underwater scenery. I wouldn't want to be rushed through a scuba course, and then be stressed by having to do the four required Open Water Certification dives (and I won't kid you, open water certification was not a cake walk...it was pretty exhausting as we did three dives one day and then the second day we did the navigation dive and then the long snorkel). When I'm on the cruise, the only reading that I want to do is to be looking at the Compass to figure out what I want to do for the day, not reading scuba books and Dive Charts.

Perhaps an option for you would be to see about doing the class and pool work at home first and then see about doing your open water certification either on the cruise, or doing it a few days before in the port city (depending on what port you're departing from...If Miami for example, I would imagine that there would be plenty of dive shops that can take you through the OWC process).

Sorry to be such a killjoy, but I really think that you'd be better of with a more time-intensive land-based program. Scuba is a sport that really needs to be learned and absorbed by the student by being taught by a really good instructor in as much time is as needed by the student to learn it and feel comfortable with it. Being processed through it in a week in very shallow pools seems like a way to just churn out divers and give out C-Cards, which may ultimately put the new and possibly under-trained diver at risk.

Lynne

Lynne

I agree with your post completely. Do the pool and classwork at home, and do a referral at a resort in the caribbean or with you dive instructor as they frequently do trips so that they can justified a free dive trip for themselves. Most shops do several trips a year.

jc

Does anyone know if RCCI accepts referrals for the OW Cert? I just completed my OW Cert so I can dive when I'm on my cruise in February. My Fiancé was has completed the classroom portion and is take the confined water dives (pool) in November.

Would RCCI be able to work with him to complete his OW Cert. so he can dive with me? More important, I'm looking forward to our honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas in May and am hoping Fiancé will have his OW Cert completed so the 2 of us can dive some on our honeymoon.

Pam

Does anyone know if RCCI accepts referrals for the OW Cert? I just completed my OW Cert so I can dive when I'm on my cruise in February. My Fiancé was has completed the classroom portion and is take the confined water dives (pool) in November.

Would RCCI be able to work with him to complete his OW Cert. so he can dive with me? More important, I'm looking forward to our honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas in May and am hoping Fiancé will have his OW Cert completed so the 2 of us can dive some on our honeymoon.

Pam

My recommendation would be to talk to your local dive shop/operator and ask them where they can (and can't) refer you to for completion of your open water certification.

The one thing that I have very quickly learned is that your local dive shop is very much an invaluable informative support group. I have yet to meet anyone through my shop that has not been a wealth of information, extremely willing to help, and willing to do whatever it takes to make me the best possible diver I can be (if that means extra pools sessions spent strictly with me in a one on one setting, they'd do it in a heartbeat, and at no charge to boot.). I can easily see going on yearly dive vacations with them because they are just that nice and easy going.

They did say that they do long weekends in the bahamas in the winter and spring with their students to get their open water certification. Heck, if I were you, I'd go that route and let your soon to be hubby enjoy his cruise. That way, you'd both get an awesome quick little getaway (which is always needed when dealing with wedding plans), and you'd get to log a few more dives. The other benefit with going that route is that you are with instructors who you know and are already comfortable with which really helps reduce the anxiety level (which in my case was a huge help since I thought I was going to have a mini panic attack in the open water...my instructor forced me to look at him and really helped me to relax, which is a nice little plus when you are 26 feet under water).

Hope that helps.

Lynne

Archived