Wheelchair access in A3 or AB on Pearl?

Cali_Mum

Hi everyone-

We are booked on the Pearl to Alaska leaving 5/11. My 5 year old son broke his leg yesterday and will be wheelchair bound for the next 4-6 weeks. I've looked online and it seems all wc accessible rooms are booked. We are wondering if we upgrade to an A3 or AB if we'd be able to get into the bathroom or on the balcony easier than with our current AF? From photos, it looks as though there is no step up to the bathroom on an AB? The wheelchair itself is narrow so I am not as concerned about doorways, but being able to get into the bathroom for the toilet is a priority. Thanks so much!

How awful for your son and for you! I hope he's doing well.

If I recall, once inside the AB (and that would also mean the A3), there are no impediments for the wheelchair. Your son would have to sleep in the master bedroom and use the master bathroom, because the small bedroom's bathroom has a threshold. The master bathroom's toilet stall is quite narrow, so you'll probably have to pick your son up to transfer him to the toilet. There is a threshold to get out to the balcony, but that might not be much of a problem for you to steer the wheelchair.

I sure hope this works out for you.

The wheelchair will easily fit into the doors of both cabins, as well as the hall and into the master bedroom. Your problem is the small bedroom's bath has a lip that would not accept the wheelchair. However, If you ask for a matress top for the small bed, you can make one up on the living room floor, allowing him accessibility to your bathroom. Sounds a bit rough for a vacation, but at that age, he will love it.

Thanks everyone for your help. I e-mailed the ship's coordinator and NCL access on Saturday and am waiting to hear back from them. I spoke with reservations and they don't have any more accessible cabins. Since we booked with a travel agent though, she couldn't have switched us anyway. So I'm also waiting to see what our ta can do.

• 2 weeks later...
One thing I can tell you is don't worry about the theatre, it is really convenient to pull in on a wheelchair on the lower level, you'll see

Thanks Mike--we will definitely try that! NCL did manage to get us into an accessible room so we are feeling so much better about the trip and feel that we can enjoy the ship and the cabin now!

The Pearl is a really accessible ship. Once you get your ship cards, take your son's one to the front desk. Ask them to swipe it to allow you to use the elevator that takes you directly to the Summer Palace, accessible entrance. This is the middle elevator far aft. If you have an accessible cabin, you will probably be at the aft of the ship. The elevator has a swipe slot beside it. Swipe your son's card and you will be able to summon the elevator. When going into the Summer Palace, give the hostess a wave, or smile at a Maitre'D. We were always promptly accommodated. There are accessible bathrooms all over the ship - very wheelchair friendly. When you are getting ready to board the ship, make sure that you catch the eye of one of the personnel. They should direct you to the VIP line, for easy boarding.

We loved the ship so much, with its accommodations, that we will cruise on her again later this year.

BTW The train excursion to the Canadian border has a carriage exclusively for the disabled. It will hoist your son on board - lots of fun- and you can all accompany him.

Have a great time in Alaska - its wonderful!

Archived