I've got a courtesy hold on.... NCL Sun

littlestars

... cabin 1202 (forward balcony)...

Convince me it is the right thing to do... I have til tomorrow to pay or change my mind...

It is for Alaska ~ should we keep it or save money for the excursions and change to a lower grade room?? :confused:

Also ~ has anybody ever booked and had to cancel? My sales rep told me the deposit is fully refundable up until full balance has been paid. If for any reason we do have to cancel has anybody had any experience of this?

THANK YOU :o

... cabin 1202 (forward balcony)...

Convince me it is the right thing to do... I have til tomorrow to pay or change my mind...

It is for Alaska ~ should we keep it or save money for the excursions and change to a lower grade room?? :confused:

Also ~ has anybody ever booked and had to cancel? My sales rep told me the deposit is fully refundable up until full balance has been paid. If for any reason we do have to cancel has anybody had any experience of this?

THANK YOU :o

yes, you can cancel upto the day prior to final payment, which sounds like that day is about here. As for balcony versus standard outside, for us, the saving of money would outweigh the balcony, for others, this isn't the case. If you have never had a balcony you won't miss it. Yes, there is a lot to see and if the weather is cooperating you can enjoy your cabin, on the other hand there are lots of places on the ship to relax and watch the scenery.

Nita

First would you be happy at the front of the ship? Much more movement there than anywhere else (mid, stern) You wouldn't be able to use the balcony as much as you would on either side of the ship. Also there is a restriction of having to keep your draperies shut in the evening so that the light doesn't interfer with the bridge - may not be a problem on the 12th deck. But at least with the Sun you would have sliding glass balcony doors as opposed to the "submarine lock down" access. We did sail in the mini suite deck 10 and loved it - but it's not for everyone. However, the views would be fantastic - but just as nice from deck if it's not too cold or raining. For me personally it would depend on the cost of the upsell - and then balance everything else out.

Go for it. The Sun to Alaska is perhaps the best cruise for a forward balcony. I assume you are talking about one of the forward facing cabins next to the owners suite. The views are remarkable. You cruise slowly for the most part on the inside passage making the balcony usable almost every day and night except when it rains. No better viewing spot then your deck 12 cabin on the ship and if it is cold or damp you can step inside for refreshments or too warm up.

Our kids go to bed quite early anyways so keeping drapes shut wouldn't be a problem. They will probably still be adjusting to the time difference too (as will we!!)

I just priced an inside and it is about £700 ($1400) cheaper ~ that is for the most basic you can get.

I sometimes get sea sick so I like to have a balcony where I can sit and watch the horizon. But I think by looking at other posts I am maybe more likely to feel sick at the front than anywhere else on the ship :confused:

We do like to have someplace to sit when the kids are in bed too... I will keep reading other posts and try and make my decision!

Thanks for the advice - keep it coming ;)

Go for it. The Sun to Alaska is perhaps the best cruise for a forward balcony. I assume you are talking about one of the forward facing cabins next to the owners suite. The views are remarkable. You cruise slowly for the most part on the inside passage making the balcony usable almost every day and night except when it rains. No better viewing spot then your deck 12 cabin on the ship and if it is cold or damp you can step inside for refreshments or too warm up.

Yes! It is this cabin! THANK YOU for your reply :D

As far as being sea sick keep in mind the inside passage is like a lake so it should not be an issue. You do make a couple of short runs in the open ocean. I was in an AD and for the most part no real motion at all.

Put those kids to bed and enjoy your balcony. Far better then sitting in the dark in that inside cabin.

As far as being sea sick keep in mind the inside passage is like a lake so it should not be an issue. You do make a couple of short runs in the open ocean. I was in an AD and for the most part no real motion at all.

Put those kids to bed and enjoy your balcony. Far better then sitting in the dark in that inside cabin.

;) I agree about sitting in the dark waiting for the kids to fall asleep!!! Was just wondering if the saving would be justified but I just can't see past the last experience we had...

We loved sitting on the balcony at night and in the morning coming into the ports. Although we were in the Caribbean and the sea will be different, I was pleased I didn't have to take any anti-sickness medication at all.

We (my mom, daughter and myself) have been in 1002 on the Sun (same room, other side). We all loved it. The view was great out the front and it is a view that you don't have a chance to see very often. Also, the balcony was larger than for your average balcony room and if I remember correctly, we had at least one lounger in addition to chairs. We also had a wood deck which was nice. It was also more private because we had solid dividers between us and the neighbors. The stateroom itself was pretty quiet because you are located on a bit of a cul-de-sac and it was convenient to the elevators. Ours was an adjoining room so sometimes we heard the neighbors a bit through the door but it wasn't really a problem..we didn't hear them very often.

In my opinion, there are only a couple of possible disadvantages....it is windier on the balcony (it didn't bother us but it may bother some people). Also, I didn't think the storage was very good (it could be an NCL thing...it was the only time we cruised NCL so I can only compare to staterooms that I have had on Disney and RCL). The storage sufficed, but that stateroom had less storage than any other room that I have stayed in. The room itself is a bit irregularly shaped so perhaps it isn't set up quite the same was as the average balcony room. If there are two of you in the room, it will probably be fine. I thought with the three of us, we were pushing it. All in all, my mom and I loved it and would cruise in a forward balcony again.

Have a great time.

Thanks so much! We live on the Shetland Islands so wind is kind of every day living for us! Shouldn't bother us too much ;)

I wonder if the same can be said of 1202 than 1002 with regard to noise etc from above. Should I change to 1002 do you think?

We are a family of 4 (2 young kids) and have only cruised on RCI before so I am slightly worried about storage now too as we struggled with all our cases with them!

This cruise may well be at the start of our holiday though so we won't have collected the souveniers we had by the end of the last cruise!

We were in mini suite 1201 in Feb 2008 and LOVED it. Granted a bit more windy but we ride Harley was not an issue.......bit more movement but again didn't bother us at all, neither of us got seasick.......noise, you can hear the bass a bit at night from the band above but never bothered us we slept like babies....

We booked that stateroom for our Mexican Riviera cruise this October.

That room would be great for Alaska. You will get 180 degree views.

I can't wait until we go under the Golden Gate sitting on our Balcony.

Here is a picture of front of the Sun. I have it setup as the Wallpaper on my desktop.

CopyofFrontofSun.jpg?t=1209414564

It can be very windy - We were in 9002 last May to Alaska, and there was really only one day where we could use the balcony. Most days it was way to windy.

Also, if you are sitting down you can't really see much as it is a solid bulkhead. To see anything you need to stand up. I have also had a side balcony and we got much more use out of it than the forward facing. You also need to keep your curtains closed or lights off at night as the relection of light interferes with the bridge.

Archived