What-to-pack for FP: questions for Windstar alums

SB_Travlr

Ladies, need your help. Now we've figured out the details for our trip, it's time to move on to the next obsession, what to wear and related questions. :confused:

We've cruised Windstar before, but in Greece and Turkey -- and my perception is that FP is different again, and much more laid back. I'm trying hard not to overpack... a major challenge for me. :o We'll be going from early winter New England to summery Tahiti.

We have one full day in PPT at the Beachcomber, recovering from jetlag -- pretty lazy day, easy to figure out. Then we have 2 nights in Taha'a: daytime I'm assuming swimsuit, pareo, maybe shorts and top. Question is, it's a very high-end hotel in an laid-back setting -- what on earth do we wear for dinner? Anybody else been there? (And if we'd like to get some wine/beer/snacks for our room, is there somewhere between PPT and Taha'a to buy them? near the dock, maybe? How does that work? Luggage on the Air Tahiti flight is limited, so we probably don't want to load up a 6-pack of Hinano!)

On the actual cruise, daytime seems easy -- bathing suit, shorts, tops. For dinner, I'm thinking silky crop pants and tanks, and a sundress or two. But I seldom go on vacation without my indispensable (and very low-key) Little Black Dress. Would that be a complete waste of suitcase space? Is the W-star air conditioning cranked so that it's too cool inside? Would I need a wrap? Is it silly to take anything with long sleeves, or were you sometimes (like on deck early or late, or under sail, or even if you had too much sun) glad of a light hoodie or coverup?

And then there's shoes -- I'm thinking just sandals, reef shoes, flipflops. Doesn't seem as if sneakers of any kind would be useful, right?

Thanks so much for your advice, experiences. I know there's a wealth of it out there. :)

We went to Tahiti in December, from frigid northern California to heat and humidity. For the flight I dressed in layers, zip-off pants (unzipped them to make shorts while I was waiting in line to go through immigration control in Papeete, wore them just as shorts the entire trip, zipped them back up to pants for the flight home) t-shirt, sweater, and wind-breaker. I froze at first, but was glad I didn't have the bulk of a jacket. I needed the sweater for the dining room as I found it too air-conditioned.

For shore excursions and snorkling expeditions, etc., a tankini works better than a one-piece swim suit. I also had a swim suit that could pass for shorts and a top. T-shirts and shorts rounded out my wardrobe.

For dinner I wore crop pants and slacks and sun dresses.

I wore my tevas during the day and dressy sandals at night. Reef shoes are a must. I think I brought some walking shoes, but didn't wear them.

We didn't stay any extra nights so can't comment on hotel wear.

Have a great trip.

Jackie

Just returned from FP. It is warm! The airconditioning worked very well. Most people were dressy casual to very casual at dinner. Long sleeves will probably be too warm for after dinner on the deck. A two-peice swimming suit is really convenient for the rather basic toilets on motus (think outhouse)!

Archived